cloning > plugs/rockwool/ soil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dowhatyoudo82

Reaction score
I've had success with cloning... both with powder and clone gel. However it does seem to take longer than normal. The question is this... what are opinions of the best starter? And with soil... how wet should it be during the process? I've noticed a lot of moisture in the soil. Is it possible to have too much moisture there?

yeah. I do the old-school method of soil cloning and get about 80% success (and only because i cull the not-so-well-rooted clones). Never liked using the gel. Haven't tried peat pucks or RR's. Got a tomato plant to root in rockwool which according to the Indoor garden guy is impossible yet I did it just the same...:rolleyes:

Mostly you have to find out what works best for you...

I wet the medium once, right before I take the cuttings and let it drain well....

I spritz them twice a day till rooted, but just enough to mist the leaves, not saturating the soil or even aiming for it for that matter....

I think too wet is my problem. The clones I do have that take off well... but its just the period from cut to root that seems to take forever. I am only pulling the dome lid once a day. I should increase that?

yeah air exchange a cpl times is what I do....when I get up then when I get home from work...

yeah It does take what seems like an eternity but thats just how soil cloning goes. Give it 14 daze, if you dont see roots, pull'er up gently and check to see if there's the callous and the primordial roots nubbing out.

If there is, put it back and be more patient if not, some strains take longer (tho not my experience) to root and some are really sensitive....

I'm messing with ice now... like I said I started with a powder I picked up at Walmart... and I have several clones still today that are a success from that. But in looking to speed the process up I got the clonex gel and I am sitting about 5 days in now. I have some in plugs... some in soil... and have yet to venture unto the rock wool. I guess I am experimental with all of them. But they are thriving now... the ones that did root. And I got my first rooted clonex today in the plug.... so they are working... maybe patience needs to be my practice.

I also noticed (because of space issues) my clonex box was getting very very hot. And I was at that point leaving light on 24 hours... but I got scared because I saw a lot of bad signs. So now they are still in box but running on a 18/6 cycle... until I can get a small fan for the closed boxbox

dowhatyoudo82 said:
I think too wet is my problem. The clones I do have that take off well... but its just the period from cut to root that seems to take forever. I am only pulling the dome lid once a day. I should increase that?

How long exactly are they taking to root? What do you consider "taking forever"?

Rapid rooters or rockwool, and normally don't have to hit um w any cloning gel.

The whites, SLH, some bubbas, among other clone onlys can be a pain to root so that's when I hit um w gel.

Mist as little as possible, and dome them as little as possible...

trillions of atoms said:
Mist as little as possible, and dome them as little as possible...

:goodposting: If the medium is soaked they take forever.

Ok that's what's going on then.... someone told me that dry equals dead therefore I got nervous and probably went and am going overboard. Taking forever = 2 weeks ish.... I have switched up methods a few times and never really wrote down records so its hard for me to technically compare. I'm going off my mind... I need to start keeping records to find my best method

Actually, two weeks is not forever. It is not unusual or considered a long time if it takes 2 weeks to pop roots. When are you taking the clones?

Oasis foam cubes:

ecogrow.com/oasis-1-12-cubes-sheet-of-50-p-759.html

IIRC the one time I successfully cloned I was using Oasis and Olivia's gel.

I think she's wondering if you took them while donor plant was in grow or bloom.

or she could be wondering IF you've taken clones yet. She'll be back :)

Yes, 7 is correct. Cuttings taken while the plant is in flowering will take longer to root than those taken while the plant is in veg. However, like I said, I don't really think of 2 weeks as "forever". Clones normally take 10-14days. Some people have reported roots in 5 days, but I have never gotten them that fast. Some cuts take 3 weeks or so. Some strains just clone faster than others, too. If you are getting roots in 2 weeks, I wouldn't be worried about it.

2 weeks is about the norm IMO...and I also find I have better ratio when clippings taken from plant thats been in bloom 2 weeks..rather than when the plant is in veg...I do take clippings all the time...and find they are harder to root after 4 weeks in bloom...Best of luck on the clones...

:48:

Yeah so far I have only taken cuttings in veg. They are varying in rooting but from what I am hearing I am doing ok with my process then. I will stop worry and just watch em grow. They are doing well. Most.... some I noticed today are yellowing after about 1 1/2 weeks in. They may not make it but I guess I can have em all.

Does pH for the water that I am spraying clones with matter?

2 weeks is normal as mentioned, some come faster some even slower, ive done it a bunch of ways and personally i cant beat bubbly water, a small air pump, air stone, some tubing and a small rubbermaid with holes cut in the lid. i will never do it any other way, jmo, then i drop them in dirt and away they go.

I take one of those foam pool noodles, i think thats what they are called, and i cut it up in pieces and use that.

Latest posts

Back