Cloning upgrade: machine or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bexly

Reaction score
Hey guys! I’ve been cloning lately and getting minor success in a DIY air stone bubbler with net pits & collars, and Clonex. I want to up my game a bit since it’s not strong enough to spray all the Net pots, but when I looked at the cost of pumps realized between that and what I spent so far I could’ve bought a clone machine.

I have a $40 gift card from Home Depot & got paid so I was considering biting the bullet for one of their smaller site cloners. It seems like a good investment if I can get more plants per seed.

Should I go for it or just get a stronger pump with another airstone? I also have ordered rapid rooter plugs & am waiting to try those too, but I think a hydro system would work better.

Last edited:
Bexly all I can say is that I was a failure at cloning using a 72 hole aeroponics cloner

the main reason besides operator error was the very low humidity , like 5-10%

anyway , I have cloned successfully for many years using rapid rooter plugs , clonex , and a dome covered tray

so I am no help here but I wish you luck

I’ve only cloned with plugs root riot are my favorite. I use either aloe from my grandmas plant or clonex and have had great success almost 100% with a little dome greenhouse takes about 10 days more or less. @gmo does that fancy cloning and would be able to answer your questions.

Bexly all I can say is that I was a failure at cloning using a 72 hole aeroponics cloner

the main reason besides operator error was the very low humidity , like 5-10%

anyway , I have cloned successfully for many years using rapid rooter plugs , clonex , and a dome covered tray

so I am no help here but I wish you luck
I will take that luck! I need every bit I can get, haha!
For some reason most of my dome attempts have wilted and molded but I’m trying again before making any purchases. Fingers crossed!

I’ve only cloned with plugs root riot are my favorite. I use either aloe from my grandmas plant or clonex and have had great success almost 100% with a little dome greenhouse takes about 10 days more or less. @gmo does that fancy cloning and would be able to answer your questions.
I’m really curious about plugs. I haven’t used any since the old fashioned ones years back. Those were godawful little dirt clumps. The rapid rooters I ordered are en route via FedEx so in a couple weeks I can tell you how they worked out for me :)

we all need a little luck now and then for sure

i like to make a gallon of water that is Ph’d and add some light nutrients to the water

then I take that solution and dump all my plugs into it

i let the plugs soak for just a minute or two then I squeeze most of the solution out of them so that they are nice and damp

then I put them in my cloning tray

if it is winter , I use a heat mat set at 72-74

then I mist them as needed

edit: we usually take a pencil and push it all the way through the hole in the plug so the roots can have another place to grow and also I can turn the plug upside down so it will sit upright in my tray

that is if I don’t have holders for them in the tray

I've moved to root riot plugs from other methods. My last round I had 238 out of 240 root within 12 days.

Ive recently changed to a home made airo cloner , so easy set and forget , I dont use a top just stick them in zip up the tent and check them in 10 days , they normally all have roots by then

mama Mia that is a lot of clones and an excellent rate of success!
20220813_091248.jpg
20220813_090741.jpg
20220813_090553.jpg
20220813_090203.jpg

That is amazing cloning! 100% is a faraway dream. I’d be content with 50% :p Someday soon, I hope!

Thank you all for your positive vibes and words of advice! To my surprise the RR plugs are out for delivery today!!! That was fast! :eek: If work doesn’t kick my arse I’ll try and take a dozen clones in those tonight with this little domed tray setup I just got. Maybe those rooters will be my lucky charm.

GMO, you are my hero. I am humbled. I normally do 15 to 20 at a time. This time I only needed to replace a few. I started 8 two weeks ago. One didn't make it. The others are just now starting to root. i keep my cloning simple and easy. I get all this old man needs.

IMG_20220813_094834030_HDR.jpg

@pute aww, schucks. That's a big compliment coming from you. Thanks!

Oddly enough, the more I take and pack in to the domes the higher the success rate I have. Each tray holds 72, and bay 4 was left partially empty so I can just dip n stick some of the smaller moms when they're ready to go.

Latest posts

Back