Cloning upgrade: machine or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GMO clones.
IMG_20220813_163641645.jpg
IMG_20220813_163614918_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220813_162639477_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220813_162628446_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220813_162557195_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220813_162549703_HDR.jpg

Had a friend reach out for advice who is having trouble cloning. I typed it all up and figured I'd share with the community so everyone can benefit....

Supplies:
-Plugs (I've used em all. I prefer root riots)
-Clean blade for slicing. I use a fresh scalpel for each plant I'm taking cuttings from. Read up on HLV if you're not familiar on why this is important.
-Scissors (I use rubbing alcohol soaks for at least a minute between plants for the same reason as mentioned above)
-Rooting gel or powder (right now I'm using clonex as my preference, but have had equal success in the past with hormex powder)
-Clonex rooting solution

-Start by taking a 3-5" cut right above a node with your scalpel.
-Clean up the fresh cut with a new cut at the stem at a 45 degree angle.
-Trim the outer layer of stem off to reveal the inner stem up to the next node.
-Dip/roll in clone gel. I pour out a little on yo a paper towel so I'm not contaminatimg the whole jar.
-Stick in plug that has been saturated in 6.2-6.3 pH clonex solution. I do not squeeze excess water out of the plugs at all.
-Cut the leafs back about 1/3-1/2 way. It'll help the plants transpire and they'll perk up quicker and root quicker as well.
-Place in humidity dome.
l
Plugs dry out in 7-10 days for me. I'm often tempted to rewet the plugs before a week has passed, but resist the urge, dryback is very important. More often than not I see roots prior to having to rewet the plugs.

Let me know if anything is unclear and I'll try to explain better or more thorough.

20220814_111007.jpg
20220814_111413.jpg
20220814_111433.jpg
20220814_111521.jpg
20220814_112023.jpg

I've moved to root riot plugs from other methods. My last round I had 238 out of 240 root within 12 days.
I finally broke down and ordered a clone king you recommended. Went to Sam's club to buy 27 gallon tubs some guy just bought all they had. Only 40 gallon left, too big for me!

Bubba

Although I had success getting roots in hydro tubs not one survived the transition to soil so I more or less have that method up.

Also because the plugs WORKED GUYS!
33209369-726C-4AA2-9AC3-C887EF255FD1.jpeg

Not just worked but me - me, Bex, world’s most ineffective cloner - hasn’t lost more than a handful. A few got weird, and I accidentally snapped some of the rockwool clones taken for comparison, but that was it.

53A0F079-969E-4009-98E8-2EC755ABBD0D.jpeg

Some Green crack clones

A dozen of each (Green C & Bruce B) have made it and look to be doing okay. Nearly a dozen rockwools as well but they did not get anywhere near the root growth in the same span of time. I potted them anyway and a few look jolly, but far less than the plugs. Of which the green crack dozen left in the grided dome had the best root growth and bounced back fastest after potting.
FE189E02-7C27-44A8-9E67-D48CF35CCC0C.jpeg

Already showing new growth and leaning towards the light. Wonderful success!!!

Remind me to rip my top off and give everyone here a bare chested hug for their advice, lol! I’m that stoked, guys.

GMO, you are my hero. I am humbled. I normally do 15 to 20 at a time. This time I only needed to replace a few. I started 8 two weeks ago. One didn't make it. The others are just now starting to root. i keep my cloning simple and easy. I get all this old man needs.

View attachment 305973
I do something similar normally gives me close to 100%. I just add a small pump on timer and a small res below the tray to ebb and flow. i use oasis cubes very similar to rockwool. a dome and many cfls for warming this is the most hands free method i have found.

@gmo I am trying to up my clone game.
When you say you are peeling the outer layer of stem off to the next node, could you elaborate on that a little?

Although I had success getting roots in hydro tubs not one survived the transition to soil so I more or less have that method up.

Also because the plugs WORKED GUYS!
View attachment 307507

Not just worked but me - me, Bex, world’s most ineffective cloner - hasn’t lost more than a handful. A few got weird, and I accidentally snapped some of the rockwool clones taken for comparison, but that was it.

View attachment 307508
Some Green crack clones

A dozen of each (Green C & Bruce B) have made it and look to be doing okay. Nearly a dozen rockwools as well but they did not get anywhere near the root growth in the same span of time. I potted them anyway and a few look jolly, but far less than the plugs. Of which the green crack dozen left in the grided dome had the best root growth and bounced back fastest after potting.
View attachment 307509
Already showing new growth and leaning towards the light. Wonderful success!!!

Remind me to rip my top off and give everyone here a bare chested hug for their advice, lol! I’m that stoked, guys.
I have been having great luck with the plugs and a little clonex. They stay in my little hothouse with a heating mat and take off with beautiful roots. I’ve had 100% they last few tries at it.

@gmo I am trying to up my clone game.
When you say you are peeling the outer layer of stem off to the next node, could you elaborate on that a little?
I think he is talking about removing the outer layer of the stem. In other words the skin. I actually use a razor blade and scratch it off. That's where the roots will start to form.

What resulted in higher rooting success?

• Clones with UNCUT leaf tips had higher rooting success than clones with CUT root tips.
  • Clones dipped in synthetic rooting hormone had higher rooting success than clones dipped in organic willow rooting hormone
  • Neither leaf number OR position of cutting from mother plant had an impact on rooting success

What resulted in higher quality (ie. more) roots?​

• Clones with 3 leaves had more roots than clones with just 2 leaves
  • Clones dipped in synthetic rooting hormone had higher root quality than clones dipped in organic willow rooting hormone
  • Neither leaf cutting OR position of cutting from mother plant had an impact on rooting success

Using GMO's technique I got 17 out of 18 cuts to root. Follow his instructions to a tee and you will have success. Don't forget to ph to ,6.2.

Unlike GMO I can't get roots in 10 days......takes me 15 to 20 days. So, I do have mist them to keep them from completely drying out. Don't forget to ph.

Never had a problem cloning. I clone all kinds of plants. Weed, peppers, tomatoes, , blackberries, roses, banana trees, and anything i can get my hands on. 😁

Using GMO's technique I got 17 out of 18 cuts to root. Follow his instructions to a tee and you will have success. Don't forget to ph to ,6.2.

Unlike GMO I can't get roots in 10 days......takes me 15 to 20 days. So, I do have mist them to keep them from completely drying out. Don't forget to ph.
That’s kind of where I am at. I have a pretty good success rate, but my cuts take forever to develop roots.

Latest posts

Back