Cloning VS seeds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laylow6988

Friendly Neighborhood PMP
Reaction score
Ok, I know a little about cloning and some of the benefits. Never tried it. And wouldn't unless I had a plant that was worth it(still doing bagseed). But, here is my question. I have read in a few places that clones will tac on a month to harvest time. But here, I have seen people say it takes less time. :rant: So what is it?

well i suppose its good to hqave ur favorite or a good speciman to keep going however as i said before that is bound to collapse if used exclusively. what i wonder is if its possible in the interim between the snip and the rooting bath to just preserve that cutting sorta cryogenticesque. Thats probally easiar with plants then humans. if they could do that your favorite plant's clone might actually be able to be younger then the original.

Cloning gets rid of a lot of veg time. Perfect for SOG or ScrOG. You can put new clones into flower every week and have something great called residual marijuan. Stoneybud just did a grow that shows what cloning can accomplish.

Cloning also guarantees a female plant that will have identical genetics to the host plant. No sexing, no guessing, no hermies.

I only buy seeds to get a new mother plant. From the first female of that strain, I get all the clones I'll ever need.

--No sexing, no guessing, no hermies.--

I like that.

rockydog said:
--No sexing, no guessing, no hermies.--
--No youth, no chance.--

if u like the branch that much that much thats fine but in theory as soon as the mother plant gets old enough to die and does the others will too or will follow suit SOON enough.

GrewUp To ScrewUp said:
--No youth, no chance.--

if u like the branch that much that much thats fine but in theory as soon as the mother plant gets old enough to die and does the others will too or will follow suit SOON enough.

Well, I have read about a 15 year old mother, posted about it in your other thread.

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7410

I'm sure I will be ready to try a differebt strain long before that;) .

GrewUp To ScrewUp said:
--No youth, no chance.--

Why do you think that if the mother dies all the others will? They are not some super natural magical plant. If you take a clone yes it has the age with it, but they are all new cells. So the growth is still new. But the cutting will have the bennifit of development from an older plant... if that makes any sense. It can have more potent buds at a younger age.

Yeah, now I see where it really comes in handy. I wouldn't have use for enough weed to grow that much. And don't have the room, not even to house a mother plant. I know I could make some money off of growing, but I sold when I was younger. It's too risky. Being caught growing a small amount is one thing. Getting labeled a "drug dealer"... I just can't do it. Damn I wish it was legal!:rant:

laylow6988 said:
Why do you think that if the mother dies all the others will? They are not some super natural magical plant. If you take a clone yes it has the age with it, but they are all new cells. So the growth is still new. But the cutting will have the bennifit of development from an older plant... if that makes any sense. It can have more potent buds at a younger age.

Yeah, now I see where it really comes in handy. I wouldn't have use for enough weed to grow that much. And don't have the room, not even to house a mother plant. I know I could make some money off of growing, but I sold when I was younger. It's too risky. Being caught growing a small amount is one thing. Getting labeled a "drug dealer"... I just can't do it. Damn I wish it was legal!:rant:

i never implied they were linked to that degree but surely if the plant is near death aging cells must had played a role. with that said how can not a clone in the human or animal sense but a cutting be any better off? that would be like being able to put rooting harmone on say the world's oldest veteran, Mr. del Toro's arm are vs. say Angelina's little Maddox's arm. If you put it on del Toro his hand may grow but its still a lifeform with a limited life span pushing way over a hundred. It can't over come all it has which are old cells because its simply a severed part. Now maddox's say arm in the rooting harmone is in no danger because like the boy its got like 75 years left to worry. It seems like your trying to get a grape out of an orange by trying to squeeze it hard enough. There is just no difference between the cutting and originator. It might not die at the same moment as the originator but its at a disadvatage since its got no youth, simply being independent does not start with infantcy here.

And obviously its going to be more poteny since the old plant was potent. it doesnt need to skip the steps because its already been there.

i just think there is a misconception over the stages with say animal clones and plant cuttings with roots sprouting..
I mean how are they all new cells anyways? i could see the roots being new but every thing still alive but near death has new cells but they might not be that relevent. And if it were legalized you wouldnt have much time to sell to ppl for very long ;)

GrewUp To ScrewUp said:
i never implied they were linked to that degree but surely if the plant is near death aging cells must had played a role. with that said how can not a clone in the human or animal sense but a cutting be any better off? that would be like being able to put rooting harmone on say the world's oldest veteran, Mr. del Toro's arm are vs. say Angelina's little Maddox's arm. If you put it on del Toro his hand may grow but its still a lifeform with a limited life span pushing way over a hundred. It can't over come all it has which are old cells because its simply a severed part. Now maddox's say arm in the rooting harmone is in no danger because like the boy its got like 75 years left to worry. It seems like your trying to get a grape out of an orange by trying to squeeze it hard enough. There is just no difference between the cutting and originator. It might not die at the same moment as the originator but its at a disadvatage since its got no youth, simply being independent does not start with infantcy here.

And obviously its going to be more poteny since the old plant was potent. it doesnt need to skip the steps because its already been there.

i just think there is a misconception over the stages with say animal clones and plant cuttings with roots sprouting..
I mean how are they all new cells anyways? i could see the roots being new but every thing still alive but near death has new cells but they might not be that relevent. And if it were legalized you wouldnt have much time to sell to ppl for very long ;)

I don't know much about cloning. But I think you need to ask questions or read up. The "cloning" process is just what we call propagation. It's not really a clone in that sense. And it's not a limb that is being grown, it's the whole plant. Almost all the cells in a "cloned" plant are new with exception of the few inches taken from the mother. And yes, they do skip steps. Besides the obvious seedling stage. In most plants the potency raises over it's life. So if you grow and harvest a plant in 5 months from the time it was a seed, it will not be as potent as the same strain left in the veggi stage for longer bringing the overall time to say 9 months. Ok, now same as with the clone. If you take two clones, one each from those two plants. The older one will be more potent than the other. You see the stage is skipped due to it's internal age. But that don't make the plant old, because the cells are new. The roots are new. Almost all foliage is new. I have read about guys both keeping mothers around for years. And about guys who take a clone, flower the mother, from that clone take a cutting, flower the previous clone, and so on. This happends for year and years. And like Elephant Man said, he read about a 15 year old mother. We die due to our old cells, because our body is made up of mostly original cells. You can't make a animal or human clone by cutting off a peice and growing it. Plants and animals are no comparison. And uhm... even me giving pot to close friends and family would label me a drug dealer. It's trafficking even if no money is exchanged.

GrewUp To ScrewUp said:
--No youth, no chance.--

if u like the branch that much that much that's fine but in theory as soon as the mother plant gets old enough to die and does the others will too or will follow suit SOON enough.

I have no idea who told you this information, but it's totally untrue. Plant Biology is, at this level, an absolute science. There are no mysteries left involving the cloning of plants. The cloned plants are at the same stage of development as the host plant was at the time of the cutting.

A plant "knows" years passing ONLY by the cycles of light. No other variables make a bit of difference. A plant that is kept in perpetual vegetative growth, will NEVER die, as long as a 24/7 light with no stress and proper nutrients are delivered to it. No stress covers a lot of things; water stress, light stress, physical plant stress, nutrient stress and temperature stress, among many others.

If I could suggest some reading to you, any book that covers plant biology will teach you many, many things that are common among plants in the biological sense. For specific information on the biology of Marijuana, there are lots of them out there too. Surprisingly, many are available online, through the big book sellers like "Barnes and Nobles".

Good luck to you man!

Stoney Bud said:
I have no idea who told you this information, but it's totally untrue. Plant Biology is, at this level, an absolute science. There are no mysteries left involving the cloning of plants. The cloned plants are at the same stage of development as the host plant was at the time of the cutting.

A plant "knows" years passing ONLY by the cycles of light. No other variables make a bit of difference. A plant that is kept in perpetual vegetative growth, will NEVER die, as long as a 24/7 light with no stress and proper nutrients are delivered to it. No stress covers a lot of things; water stress, light stress, physical plant stress, nutrient stress and temperature stress, among many others.

If I could suggest some reading to you, any book that covers plant biology will teach you many, many things that are common among plants in the biological sense. For specific information on the biology of Marijuana, there are lots of them out there too. Surprisingly, many are available online, through the big book sellers like "Barnes and Nobles".

Good luck to you man!

Yeah, that's what I am saying. I'll admit when I am wrong, and I am not trying to act like as if I know everything or be an ***. But I have read about it too many times for it to be ** you know what I mean? That's one thing I did well in school is biology. I have a genuine love for nature and a pretty good understanding. Just read and check it out. I mean, $20 for a book is well worth it. You can get the info here, or other parts of the net. But the net also has ** in it. I have posted things that are "inaccurate". But the good thing about this place is there are some really experienced growers that will jump in and call :**:

alright as a 2 yr veteran of biology i guess u'd know more then me:p

alright then i guess i was mixing up genetix with cell age :confused:

My Blueberry clone is from a seed sprouted in 1992. It is still as good as the day I got her and growing strong.

TGT

Yeah, someone is getting some wrong information. My mom has a spider plant in her bathroom window that she has had for twenty years . . . TWENTY YEARS. Plants don't age in the sense that we age. The plant is twenty years old and if you held it up to a photo of that very same plant from eighteen years ago it looks exactly the same.

All a cutting is, is the certified genetic make up of the mother plant. The original part of the cutting may be considered "old growth" , but the rest of the plant when it takes root is new and I don't know how something that is just freshly grown is going to die?

Didn't anyone watch the fifth element? Come on now, the genetic make up was old, but when they cloned her she was . . . young!

My head hurts now.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back