Cloning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHOT

Reaction score
Hello again, i'm growing sativa's i took 7 clones before flowering. I use powder for rooting. I used a dome for 3 clones and 4 without dome and i got the same results: EPIC FAIL. What is the problem?

View attachment 2016-03-27 15.38.23.jpg

I'm using a soil for flowers potting and yes its dense kindly, i'm using water with stable ph. The first 2 days it looks healthy then it dies as you can see.

Its the same soil that i use for my plants with a cfl lamp(18W). 10 cm far from my clones. I just need help to keep the last one alive.

First, you need better soil--something that is not so dense. I am somewhat surprised that you can actually grow anything in that soil as there is nothing to aid drainage. Then, tell us the exact procedure you follow when you take a clone. What are your temps? How moist do you keep them? It is a good idea to use a dome for all clones.

I have found what is "hands-down" the easiest way to clone (if doing smaller numbers of clones) That is to use coco coir with about 25% pearlite mixed in. Put it in solo cups with small drainage holes in bottoms of cups (be absolutely certain they will drain well. I use a 16d nail and torch to melt 4 nice little round holes in my cups).

I also found that clear 2ltr bottles with the bottoms cut off so that they slide over the cups, work perfectly for humidity domes. I little black plastic bowls that I set my cups in for catching drainage and the black plastic bowls stay warm under lower light conditions.

I wet my medium with a solution of rooting tonic (and calmag additive for precharging the coco to prevent magnesium/calcium deficiency in the clones). The solution is not strong so I also use it to spray my cuttings after I have set them, before setting the dome. Once the cuttings are set, You shouldn't have to water them anymore until they root. Only spray them about once a day so that the dome stays wet inside.

Its very important to maintain temps strictly between 76-80 around them. You don't want it 83 outside the dome and 88 inside the dome so be careful and diligent with that. You also don't want standard veg lighting. I set mine under about half of the light strength of regular vegging plants, and I use a mixture of yellow "bloom" lights with whiter "veg" lights.

This is one half of the cloning process. the first half is prepping the cuttings properly. This seems a little daunting but its really not that difficult once you have the method down. :)

The Hemp Goddess my temp: 17-20C. i'm keeping it moist as much as i can. i water it once a day usually. i take the clone with a 45 degree and take a razor and take off a little of the stem cover then i put some powder for roots and put them in dome and then fail with all i've done :D

HushPuppy thank youuu soon i should try it!!! interesting

When you take the cutting put it in a cup and re cut it under water so as no air bubble gets in the stem. Use hot/ warm water to do this as it opens the capillaries in the stem.

Hey HP, how much cal mag do you use? What kind?

I think i'm doung somethig more basic rosebud. I will retry this process but i need to know what am i doing wrong?

What are you doing wrong?

The soil, the temps, the cutting, the humidity, the rooting hormone, lights etc.. it could be all those things, but your soil is the worse problem at this point.

I see... i think next time i will let it root in water. Its not better than soil?

It is hard to root in water and then go into soil.. Just try what hushpuppy said.. he knows.

Okay thanks all of you for your help!!!

Hey Rose: I normally will use Root66 from Technaflora because it has an organic root tonic in it at I believe 6ml per gallon and I add in 4ml of Magical from Technaflora. I don't use their main line as I like the Jungle Juice better but their calmag and root tonic work so well with my stuff and with the coco coir.

Marcmatar: it sounds like you may be drowning them in the medium they are in now. It is too dense and is holding too much moisture. Successful cloning seems to be all about the moisture level sometimes. You need less in the medium and more in the air. The reason is to prevent rot at the stem, and to give the cutting the moisture it needs as it is nearly unable to draw in what it needs through the cut stem. Spraying them daily and keeping the humidity high helps them maintain their moisture long enough to switch over to rooting.

You can do it in water but that has its own challenges. If you intend to root a few cuttings each time then it is easier to go with the medium and dome method. If you wanted to root 10+ cuttings every couple months, then a hydro rooter would be the way to go. But they have their complexities as well.

Hey marc you can try floral foam that is oasis that is used in florist shops, cut cubes and keep them moist in a warm dome, it works flawlessly with me

Thats really nice... i'll also try it in my second growth with white widows :D these foams are easy to get man thanks

I was using HushPuppies method with about 50% success rate. A friend of mine had a 5 gallon bucket aeroponic cloner( I believe they cost around $45 on Amazon or eBay) that he wasn't using so I decided to give it a try and my rooting rate went up to about 80%...I still loose a clone or two when transplanting into coco/perlite but I am ok with that as I don't have a large grow space.
when using the cloner all I do is add 15 mL of cloning solution per gallon of water and pour it into the bucket and let the cloner do its job. I've even found that I don't have to worry about the pH of the solution until the roots start growing then I will add a little bit of Cal Mag and adjust the pH to 6.0... everyone has their own methods this just happened to be what works best for me.

Lol i just learned a new tip! Cal Mag can adjust the ph! And yes i will try all the methide and see which one will give the higher rate.

As you can see, there are multiple methods for doing the same thing. The key is to find the one that works for you and your situation. I have used EZcloners, bucket aerocloners, and home made bubbleponic cloners, all with solid success. I currently have a bubble cloner that I build that I don't use because I only clone 3-4 cuttings at a time and it is too big for my needs at this point. Each method will have its own set of rules for success. I suggest you experiment and find the one that works best for you. :)

Latest posts

Back