Cloning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The easy answer is when you see roots you can move it under your normal lights.

I like to make the roots search, saturating them isn't going to help much in the long run, roots only grow to find water. Domes are nice to keep them alive for the first day or so but you've got to ween them off that steady supply of moisture and make them look for it. That's not to say that they won't root in domes but I've found over the years that steadily reducing the humidity makes for faster rooting clones that generally have a stronger root system in the given time.

For that reason I've taken to cloning in straight perlite, in a hempy cup sort of fashion. I dome them for the first day then start taking the dome off for a few more hours at a time until it's off for good, usually by the third day. I might mist them occasionally if they're looking dry but otherwise I make them search for that reservoir.

I removed the dome 2 days ago for 30 minutes to give it fresh air it bended... so i'm trying to give it moisture to keep it alive. I hope it will show roots soon!!

i just use honey as a rooting agent and stick the cuttings in 'rapid rooter' plugs. i put the clones/plugs in a tupperware container with a clear top and keep them under a couple of white cfl bulbs. i don't even trim the leaves. i just make sure i mist them daily. i get about 50% to root.

You are goto have to find the cloning method that works for YOU. One of the things that I have found is that not every methodks for everyo. Something that one person has 100% success with, someone else can have 100% failure. Part of whether you need a dome and how long depends a huge amount on the RH wh you live. I am in a very arid area and often experience RH in the teens or single digits. I find that I need to keep a over my cuts for a week or 2. Someon in a very humid place may not need to dome anything. And keep in mind that at this stage, you do not have any roots to seek anything. So, keep the soil moist, but not soppy wet.

Do not move it until you see very good, substantial root development and new growth from the cut. It looks like maybe you planted in a clear container? Make sure that you cover that or sleeve it with something. Roots do not like direct l. Your growing containers need to be; opaque or you have to cover them with something. Clear cups are nice because you can see if you have any root development, but you do need to put something over thear cup to stop the light to the root area. Do not geo impatient. It can and often does take 2-3 weeks to see good root development.

Thank youuu hempp! If i have anything new i will keep u updated

i just use honey as a rooting agent and stick the cuttings in 'rapid rooter' plugs. i put the clones/plugs in a tupperware container with a clear top and keep them under a couple of white cfl bulbs. i don't even trim the leaves. i just make sure i mist them daily. i get about 50% to root.

it is the first time that i hear about that, i will look it up, but i think that high quality honey is way more expensive than legit rooting agent. i think the sweet is very powerful in inviting pests, they actually use sugar in some places with pesticides to attract pests

100% cloning get/ powdrr is cheaper than natural honey.

you are prolly right. i just used cheap honey because i read that it would work and i had some in the kitchen cupboard. might be that the cuttings would have taken without it as well. i also cut at a 45 deg angle and split the stem immediately after cutting it and dunk it in honey. the cheap mans way to clone...

I see... i should try that lol. Not bad idea

Hey everyone. I have a question. Most of what I’ve read on cloning says to do so during the veg stage . But can you tell the sex during this stage? This is my first grow so I’m a newbie ha ha.

The plants need to flower to be able to tell the sex. I try to take a few clones from each plant and label which clone is from which plant. Once you flower, you can tell which clones will be males and so can be destroyed. I have read it is possible to clone plants in flower if you remove the flowers but I have not tried it.

It is generally considered easier to get a cutting to root if it is taken in the veg stage. You can do as old fogey described or you can wait until preflowers show. You can also take cuttings early in flowering (1st 2 weeks) and probably have pretty good luck with them rooting.

Latest posts

Back