Close proximity to lights?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Veedom

Reaction score
I am about to put together another growbox (tent) for ten plants.
I have a method of having the ten pots on an adjustable shelf in the tent and by so-doing
being able to maintain a preferred distance from the lights at all times.
I guess the question is whether the plants would benifit from having the lights say, 3-4 inches
away for it's entire lifespan instead of being 3-4ft away for the greater part of the growth period.
Some my think my idea ludicrous and the correct answer would be "not worth the trouble"
Is it? will it make a discernable difference?
What do the experts advise.
It's really not hard to do. All being aware of the heat factor, of course.

All

You can use HOT5s and put them 4 or 5 inches away from the canopy. Done it many times.

those HO lights are killer!

i once used f96t12HO and those were the most robust healthy plants in beer cups I ever vegged

like Weed said , you can get those HO’s really close to newborn plants and not burn them

I have grown some dank weed from start to finish with a 4ft 8 tube HOT5 system that put out 40,000 lumens. I used 6500k in Vegg and then mixed 2700k when I went into flower. At about 4 weeks into flower I changed all the tubes to 2700k.

I use LED's in my small growbox. Have been for years and lights up to 3-4 inches away does no damage. My experience with this growbox tells me that heat does not pose a problem.
I just cant decide if plants perform beter when close to lights as opposed to say, 4ft. away.
That's the question, really

I use LED's in my small growbox. Have been for years and lights up to 3-4 inches away does no damage. My experience with this growbox tells me that heat does not pose a problem.
I just cant decide if plants perform beter when close to lights as opposed to say, 4ft. away.
You should get a lumen meter. If your plants look happy take a measurement of the lumens and keep them in that range.
T8 CCFL or T8 LED CFL replacements can basically touch the leaves without damaging. Keep in mind you will shade the lower parts too much if the light is too close up top.
I get 4 foot plants ready to flower from a 4 bulb 4 foot T8. Nothing special for lighting in my veg…
E3332B23-F6CB-4922-899B-EA021E983E0B.jpeg

I have grown some dank weed from start to finish with a 4ft 8 tube HOT5 system that put out 40,000 lumens. I used 6500k in Vegg and then mixed 2700k when I went into flower. At about 4 weeks into flower I changed all the tubes to 2700k.
I have some tubes that are 10000k. My plants love them. They also make 10000k with UV B. I got them from HTG. I used to mix the bulbs in my 4 bulb 4 ft and 2 bulb 4 ft fixtures. A mix of the 10000k and 6500k for veg and added in the 2700k for flower. Agreed with you and bigsur as far as distance from the lights. I have had plants grow up to within an inch with no burnage.

Yep. You can stick your hand on the 6500K. The 2700k can get a little warm.

More red color so maybe more infrared as well?

The closer to the top of the plant you can get them safely will insure the better penetration to the lower parts of the plant as well as the tops.

Latest posts

Back