Cloudy days vs. indoor lighting...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebel

rebel
Reaction score
Ever hear " a cloudy day outdoors is still better than any indoor light"
ive heard it and read it also, but from my experience indoors produce bigger and harder buds.
Just how much does a plant benefit by the cloudy days outdoors without much sun ?

Rebel ,I took my light meter outside, it is cloudy out , to check . My meter reads max 5000+ foot candles outside. To get that from my 430w hps I have to hold meter 11'' away, my led light I have to hold meter 10'' away. 2000 foot candles is supposed to be minimum lighting for good growth. 1 foot candle equals 10.76 lumens or lux.

it takes a lot of lights to match even a cloudy day outside!! Think about a sunny day!!!

I would think the sun has every spectrum of light and even cloudy days outside would still be better than indoor light.
Plus outside there's fresh constant co2.

really interesting the light meter is.
ok why arent the buds as hard outdoors as indoors ?
Rosebud may chime in. i think i read she states the same.

ive grown supper dense bud outdoors rebel its all about how u grow best bud ive ever smoked is outdoor bud

really interesting the light meter is.
ok why arent the buds as hard outdoors as indoors ?
Rosebud may chime in. i think i read she states the same.

This maybe a personal problem. The light isn't what is effecting density. On a sunny day there are somewhere around 60000 lumens per sq ft and 5000 per sq ft on a cloudy day. An indoor room on a closed system should have 5000 lumens per sqft. But you have 3-5 times the co2 in the room then and about ten degrees F hotter. There are 300 ppm of co2 in our every day air. A closed system works well from 900-1500 ppm of co2.

Although your outdoor fluffy buds have to do with nutes. To be simple there are hardeners to use. Don't use more than the bottle says or you'll lose most of it bud rott. I don't use hardener though. I use a specific tea durning flower

Rebel ,I took my light meter outside, it is cloudy out , to check . My meter reads max 5000+ foot candles outside. To get that from my 430w hps I have to hold meter 11'' away, my led light I have to hold meter 10'' away. 2000 foot candles is supposed to be minimum lighting for good growth. 1 foot candle equals 10.76 lumens or lux.

MRI what foot candles do you get holding it under your 400 watt @ grow height 15" away ?????
also curious on foot candles of a 1000 watt would be closer to getting it like the sun ??? meaning the sun produces watt 130 + - watts or 10000 lumens per sq foot so comparing it to a grow room one would need to match it 130 watts or 10000 per sq foot of grow space But here is a kicker grow lights manufactures are making grow lights for veg and flowering wavelengths and the sun even tho its stupid powerful not all energy wavelengths are used for plants,
Did you know you can have the brightest light only the certain wavelengths will plants use , for instance out of all of the suns energy 0.1 percent is used by plants,
to say plants still would grow better for 10 day days out side if it was cloudy compared to 10 days of indoor growing ???? my guess would be indoor would win in growth rates

Fever I have a 430 watt and it shows 4000 foot candles at 15'' away.My instructions say the sun has 10000 foot candles on clear sunny day. I don't have a 1000w to check, sorry.

to say plants still would grow better for 10 day days out side if it was cloudy compared to 10 days of indoor growing ???? my guess would be indoor would win in growth rates - as Fever stated above so this is my recent experience -

i put 3 sour koshers out too early , about 2' tall and they started budding. i knew they would reveg so i potted them and move them to a shed for 12/12 .
my previous grow under 600w had a lot more growth, plant and bud growth.
Its been cloudy for a week or more here, so theyve not gotten any sun at all

ive grown for yrs outdoors, plants 10' or more. i'd never grown indoor until last yr. and have had 3 grows since and it amazed me how much bigger and harder the buds were than o.d
same strains, etc.. so dont know what i could of done different, just my experience.

Its pretty amazing how fast plants grow indoor,,,, and yes rebel from my experience indoor is better to a experienced eye you can easily tell the difference half pound bag of out door and a half pound bag of indoor i know few out door growers... Growing in big totes will grow outdoor and last 2 - 3 weeks move plants to indoor to finish it off in hopes to pass it as indoor
Out door is great but but many smokers would rather smoke indoor grown hence the price difference between the two
Best part of outdoor is its free ,,,,but again your at mother natures hands you can have a great harvest or bad one or completely lose it all from animals , theft, mold
The lucky growers are the ones that are in the equator to 37 lat north or south they do great big yields no worries about frost lots of intense sun

i guarantee u would rather smoke my outdoor bud then indoor i would love to tes the thc% one day

but i guess its all opinions and sell my stuff 4 the same price as indoor sometimes more

Latest posts

Back