Cloudy vs. Amber

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Track

Reaction score
Right now, I have some clear, some cloudy.

Soon, I'll have mostly cloudy, then all cloudy, then some cloudy, some amber and finally all amber.

So, where do I stop?

Some amber, mostly cloudy is the most common.

Most I have read go about 10% amber.

I chop at either all cloudy or 10 percent amber. Depends on the strain and the type of high I am looking for.

You definitely don't want to have any clear trichs but you will get some down low on the popcorn buds. The clear isn't mature chemicals yet so is not what we want. The ideal THC level is at "milky", "cloudy" looking trichomes for the heady high. but if you like more body stone (and the strain allows for the CBD development) then allowing the trichs to go toward amber allows more CBD to develop. If you are wanting a sleeping med then 50% or more amber is what you want. Iff you like a blend of heady high and some body stone that is good for pain relief or relaxing, meditative high, then let them go until you get about 10-30% depending on the strain.

When I harvested the first crop of my '150' bag seed, I was looking for amber trics which never ambered. I suspect the strain was a sativa dominant hybrid, but I let it go to '86 days' and with no amber trics, I just harvested.
The last crop of the '150' I didn't expect amber trics and just harvested when they were cloudy, 'as soon' as they were 95% cloudy, 'on day 73'.
The second crop was much better than the first which I had let go too long. When almost all trics are cloudy, when the plant looks 'autumn-ly', leaves turning yellow, calyxes swollen, the plant is done enough, 'pull it'!

the Poet

You definitely don't want to have any clear trichs but you will get some down low on the popcorn buds. The clear isn't mature chemicals yet so is not what we want. The ideal THC level is at "milky", "cloudy" looking trichomes for the heady high. but if you like more body stone (and the strain allows for the CBD development) then allowing the trichs to go toward amber allows more CBD to develop. If you are wanting a sleeping med then 50% or more amber is what you want. Iff you like a blend of heady high and some body stone that is good for pain relief or relaxing, meditative high, then let them go until you get about 10-30% depending on the strain.

I have a question.

What if I harvest half my crop when they're 10% amber, and then harvest the rest when they're 50% amber? I could use the latter as medicine and the former will be for having a good time.

Essentially, I could grow something better than the medical marijuana I see around here.

When I harvested the first crop of my '150' bag seed, I was looking for amber trics which never ambered. I suspect the strain was a sativa dominant hybrid, but I let it go to '86 days' and with no amber trics, I just harvested.
The last crop of the '150' I didn't expect amber trics and just harvested when they were cloudy, 'as soon' as they were 95% cloudy, 'on day 73'.
The second crop was much better than the first which I had let go too long. When almost all trics are cloudy, when the plant looks 'autumn-ly', leaves turning yellow, calyxes swollen, the plant is done enough, 'pull it'!

the Poet

I don't really know what calyxes are.. photos just don't explain it well, but is that the sign - leaves turning yellow? If they're turning yellow, aren't they dying? I mean, yellow leaves aren't good for photosynthesis, right?

Right. Yellow leaves means the plant is dying, like in the fall. It has done its plant thing and is drying up, another sign that the plant is ready for harvest. It is, as I said autumn-ly.
Calyxes, that is the non-leaves, non-stems, ...BUDS. The buds are swollen. A calyx is where the seed goes and with no pollen there isn't any seeds so the bus swells and swells.

The Poet...

Yellow leaves means that it is running out of nitrogen. This normally occurs with the maturing of the flowers if you are using nutes for flowering. While a marijuana plant is normally an annual it does not necessarily die when the flowers are ready. The bud does need to be harvested when it is ready, regardless of what the rest of the plant is doing.

Part of when to harvest depends on whether you want a couch-lock high or a more up high. Why not take a test bud if you are not sure and see how you like the high.

Again, the beautiful and knowledgeable Hemp Goddess has spoken.
Harvest {or start smoking on it} when it is 95% cloudy and smoke on it till it is amber {if it gets amber} 10% 20% 30% ???

Some people including the Goddess prefers early, just basically cloudy.
Me too as I liked the '150' 'pulled' at 73 days rather than 86. But others...
{Including the guy from Hampsterdam} much prefer to harvest when the trics are 50% amber.

Like a steak...
I prefer my steaks cooked on the grille with a nice black, burnt, crunchy crust on the outside but just not dried out inside.
Others, on the other hand like to see blood running out of their steak when they cut it. To each his own I recon.

Thank you...

The Poet...

You have to find out what works for you. Take samples at the earliest you want to pick to the latest you want to pick, dry and test to see which mixes best with YOUR body chemistry.

:peace: n' good smoking.

Yellow leaves means that it is running out of nitrogen. This normally occurs with the maturing of the flowers if you are using nutes for flowering. While a marijuana plant is normally an annual it does not necessarily die when the flowers are ready. The bud does need to be harvested when it is ready, regardless of what the rest of the plant is doing.

Part of when to harvest depends on whether you want a couch-lock high or a more up high. Why not take a test bud if you are not sure and see how you like the high.

I still don't understand what causes the couch-lock feel.

What I know is that the THC goes up to 100% and then goes down while CBD goes up and that this causes couch-lock.

However, PJ says that CBD has nothing to do with couch-lock, so..

Again, the beautiful and knowledgeable Hemp Goddess has spoken.
Harvest {or start smoking on it} when it is 95% cloudy and smoke on it till it is amber {if it gets amber} 10% 20% 30% ???

Some people including the Goddess prefers early, just basically cloudy.
Me too as I liked the '150' 'pulled' at 73 days rather than 86. But others...
{Including the guy from Hampsterdam} much prefer to harvest when the trics are 50% amber.

Like a steak...
I prefer my steaks cooked on the grille with a nice black, burnt, crunchy crust on the outside but just not dried out inside.
Others, on the other hand like to see blood running out of their steak when they cut it. To each his own I recon.

Thank you...

The Poet...

I like my steak identical to yours - charred on the outside, succulent on the inside.

However, I've never smoked a single thing in my life..

Latest posts

Back