CO2 BOOSTER.. Is It Good or Bad?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budsterman

Senior Junior
Reaction score
I was in Pet Smart last night and I came across something interesting.
It's a bottle of "CO2 Booster" from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. It's supposed to be liquid carbon for planted aquariums, but I was wondering if anybody had any experience with using this with growing. All it claims to containis Glutural, so I'm not sure.

Anybody know of this stuff?

If it is what I am thinking it is, it produces CO2 through fermentation. (If I am incorrect, somebody enlighten me.) You would be better off buying a tank of CO2 and a regulator from a homebrew or hydroponics supply store.

Don't waste your money....CO2 needs to be administered to an airtight environment at a certain ppm level that must be maintained and regulated. You need like 1500 ppm I believe and temps need to be elevated as well. It costs cash to do it right and it is not for the new or beginner grower. jmo

Whats Good Hammie? Shame on you! Although I've been gone for a while and this is a "New" handle, I'm not new to growing.
But thanks for being one of the 1st to hit me up. It's always an honor to have you stop in sir.
Anybody else know anything about this product?

Well, I'd like to give you guys an update on this CO2 Booster. I tried it with one of my plants and it worked great! I added 1 tblsp of it to a gallon of water and watered away until it ran out the bottom. I wish I had a before picture of it, but here's a pic of it now.

grizzy 25 001.JPG

grizzy 25 002.JPG

PuffinNugs said:
i think what your seeing is pure placebo effect. it is meant to be used in aquariums when the aquatic plants will absorb it through its leaves via the water

using co/2 with marijuana you want it in the air so the leaves can absorb it, not in the dirt, i dont see how what your doing is going to be benifical at all, and maybe even harmful in the long run.

I'm sorry..... I should have explained how I water my plants. I have a large mist sprayer that I water my plants with. I water from the top down, meaning they get sprayed from above and the water flows downwards. I water my plants a little different than most of you I'm sure.

Sorry for the confusion.

I also agree that this is most likely not helping your grow at all. It is also most likely not hurting it. Roots do not use or need CO2. It can not be having any positive effect.

PuffinNugs said:
what about when your in full flower? this method could not be good, i never have misted in flower cause im too afraid of mold.

The only time i will do anything foliar during flowering is like the 1st week or 10 days. After that I won't play with that. I used the CO2 Booster on my plants that are vegging, not on my plants that are flowering.

Thanks for stopping in though Puff,.....

A Lil something I found online:

I noticed an aquarium product called Nutrafin CO2 Natural Plant System. It adds CO2 to the water. Would it help the plants in my hydroponic drip system, which has a small reservoir?
Steve,
Internet

Adding CO2 to the water will not help the roots and in fact will hurt them. Plants use CO2 when they photosynthesize, the process which results in the production of sugar. Photosynthesis occurs only in areas of the plant that receive light and contain chlorophyll, the source of plants' green color. It is absorbed through pores called stomata. Roots have no chlorophyll and don't ordinarily come in contact with light so they have no use for CO2.

Plants use the sugars they have manufactured as a source of fuel. Their metabolism is similar to the method used by animals. Sugars, which are hydrocarbons, are chemically "burned" in a controlled reaction that occurs when they are combined with oxygen. Energy is released and the waste product CO2 is created.

Both CO2 and oxygen dissolve in water. When water is saturated with CO2 it cannot absorb oxygen so the roots have no source of the element oxygen, which is needed for their metabolism. This weakens the roots and promotes the growth of anaerobic bacteria, which thrive in oxygen-free environments and attack roots.

When water in a reservoir is circulated, it releases the dissolved CO2 to the air and dissolves oxygen. That's why circulating water in a reservoir using a pump is beneficial to roots: It removes the CO2 and supplies the water with oxygen.

Nutrafin CO2 Natural Plant System Tablets spur the growth of photosynthetic underwater plants.

Here is the link to the actual article:

cannabisculture.com/v2/articles/4384.html

Hamster Lewis said:
Here is the link to the actual article:

cannabisculture.com/v2/articles/4384.html

Thanks for the article Hammy. I don't understand why people keep referring to the roots. I never said I was watering the roots. However, some did drip down into the soil on the plant I tried it out on. Good info on what CO2 does to the roots though. Never knew that it could destroy the roots. I only thought it wouldn't be absorbed by the roots.

Pure placebo effect? Possible but doubtful. This test plant turned a rich deep green afterwards. MUCH more greener than it was prior to use. The above pic I posted shows how rich it looks now.

Maybe I'll drive over the GWB and come stop by Hammy. We can try it on your worst looking plant and see what comes of it. And we can smoke a few bowls while we wait. Always been dying to try some of yours!

Budsterman said:
Maybe I'll drive over the GWB and come stop by Hammy. We can try it on your worst looking plant and see what comes of it. And we can smoke a few bowls while we wait. Always been dying to try some of yours!

Ah a New Yorker I guess.....:) You are more then welcome to stop by for a smoke and a pancake brosef. Just know that I don't break out the Larry OG when friends stop over because I wld wind up with a living room full of passed out stoners.:p

Bro what was your last username?

Hamster Lewis said:
Ah a New Yorker I guess.....:) You are more then welcome to stop by for a smoke and a pancake brosef. Just know that I don't break out the Larry OG when friends stop over because I wld wind up with a living room full of passed out stoners.:p

Bro what was your last username?

I'll take you up on that one day Hammy. Been wanting to meet the infamous grower who gave me so much insight when I first started. Larry OG??? :eek: Can you believe that I've NEVER tried it? Damn shame it is! I guess everybody hides it when the boys come over.

HOWEVER.............. I'm in the process of getting out of the soil business. Too messy for me bro! I've been doing soil for about 2 years now and I'm just tired of the mess it creates. I'm finishing up this last grow in the next 4 weeks and I'm moving to hydro. I'm already growing some moms in DWC buckets. And they're looking great!

My last username???? Hammy, that was A LOT of bong hits ago.

I'll keep you posted bro.

Bud and pancakes??? I'm a bud and waffle man myself. :D

PuffinNugs said:
the thing is say what about flowering, is cause i think thats when its most benifical to them and when the plants pack on the 25% more yield your suppose to get with a proper co/2 system. i dont know i dont really veg longer than 4 weeks and plants usally stay nice and healthy for me with proper ventilation and circulation. maybe running it with moms or something.

i would love to get a co/2 syatem eventually but thats something that will have to wait till i move this year. i just dont see the benifits if it cant be used throughout the whole growth cycle.

I agree 100% with ya Puff. I'd love to get a co2 setup. However, I'm going to hold off on that until I buy my house in the spring. This way I can set the whole systm permanently. And yeah, the flwering stage is where the co2 comes in.

This co2 Booster was 4.00 and I said what the hell, lets see what it can do. I tried it on a plant I was getting ready to toss, so it would've been no loss if it died from using the co2. However it din't and it's left me wondering. And believe me..... I'll do some more experimenting with it. If it's beneficial to the plants I'll let yo guys know. If it's not then I'll let you guys know. I'm just sitting here looking at this deep green plant right now saying "Hmmmmm".

While CO2 can increase yield, I would have to personally see a side by side grow to believe a 25% increase.

My plants also stay nice and lush and green by giving them adequate air exchange.

"I don't understand why people keep referring to the roots. I never said I was watering the roots...." Well, yes you did--in post #5 you said this: "I tried it with one of my plants and it worked great! I added 1 tblsp of it to a gallon of water and watered away until it ran out the bottom." If you watered away until it ran out the bottom, you watered the roots.

Latest posts

Back