Co2 Intake...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokie

Reaction score
I was wondering, where exactly does a plant intake the co2? through its leaves or through its roots? I know this is a really dumb question, but if it takes co2 from the roots, couldnt you use carbonate water? hmm nm, i think the PH will be way off. BUT any input would be great! thanks

Im pretty sure its through the leaves, and facilitated with transpiration. Good point though with the carbonated water, i didnt think of that. The ph could be adjusted without loosing carbonation im sure.

hey

thanks for replying, just thought that it might work, lol.

CO2 is 'absorbed' by the leaves.
O2 (oxygen) is taken in by the roots.
One way to get (slight) benefits from added CO2 is by spraying sparkling water on the leaves. Sparkling water (often used for mixed drinks) can be purchased at any market for about a buck a bottle. There are several kinds, some with other ingredients added; make sure you get the kind that contains only carbonated water (water and CO2).
There are hit-and-miss (mainly miss) methods of adding CO2 to your growroom. Theses include various methods involving yeast (which give off CO2 as a by-product of fermentation) and dry ice. Both methods produce small amt's of CO2 but to utilize them effectively you need a sealed environment and the CO2 needs to be administered from above the plants (CO2 is heavier than air).
In most cases it's a waste of $$.
To do it right you need about $1,000.00 worth of equip.
Much more cost-effective is flo-through ventilation ($30.00).

Latest posts

Back