CO2 - To Do or Not To Do, that is the Question!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fungus Amungus

Reaction score
Since Plants take in CO2 and emit Oxygen during the Day & do the opposite at night, wonder why no one speaks of pumping Oxygen in during the dark Cycle? Know I'm like the Little Kid who's Questions NEVER END, but it seems that the Plants would get out of Chemical Balance & you'd end up with a bunch of Bi-Polar Plants that needed Prozac too! LOL! Can hear the Medicare Agent asking me Who Mimosa & Freak Show Smith are, their Ages, Relationship to me & Why they need to see a Shrink? "Well Ma'am they keep beating each other with their Pistils at night" You mean these children have Handguns???? "No Ma'am, their Sexual Organs" Son...Boys will be Boys but yours are totally INSANE!, but they are now fully Insured, now get the [CENSORED] Out of My Office!...and Son? it wouldn't hurt you to spend a little time on that couch either, YOU'VE GOT ISSUES!

Still haven't figured out how to use CO2 and keep from being pulled out by the Ventilation System, except if CO2 is so much heavier then the surrounding atmosphere, that it sinks to the bottom level of the room...Google Time...

Oxygen is a biproduct from plants. They use CO2. I solved the ventilation issue by ducting my room through a flexible duct connected to the lights (cool tube) and exhausting out the opposite wall via a inline fan. Easy peasy.

I don't even think about CO2. I keep my flower room below 80f and was told years ago that I would be fine by controlling the temp. I have heard that the ventilation that marijuana plants need causes CO2 to get sucked out of the room and is a waste of time. My tents are right beside my hot water heater and furnace been told that helps withe CO2.

But this is nothing I know.....just been told.

Oxygen is a biproduct from plants. They use CO2. I solved the ventilation issue by ducting my room through a flexible duct connected to the lights (cool tube) and exhausting out the opposite wall via a inline fan. Easy peasy.
How much CO2 do you go thru in a typical Grow, would like to get by on as small a Tank as possible...don't wanna be lugging a Huge Cylinder into my Apartment. Rather have neighbors think I had a Kegerator instead of a Garden!

If you want big plants with big yields , let the plants veg for 4 months before you flip to flower and have them in a final growbag of at least 25 gals before flip to 12-12
You will do close if not one pound plants .
Make sure you have high ceilings and a good size grow room,

I don't even think about CO2. I keep my flower room below 80f and was told years ago that I would be fine by controlling the temp. I have heard that the ventilation that marijuana plants need causes CO2 to get sucked out of the room and is a waste of time. My tents are right beside my hot water heater and furnace been told that helps withe CO2.

But this is nothing I know.....just been told.
Yep, if it's a Gas H.W. Heater, the burn off from the Pilot Light is CO2 (I believe), know there's horror stories of People who loose Power in a Snow Storm & try Heating with a Gas Range & are found Dead days later from CO2 Poisoning. My Place is all electric. Gonna be cautious 1st time around and wait on the CO2...will spend that money on more and better Lights or Weed! Bahahahahahahahahaha! If I can find it...Lord, please get me out of this State!

Yep, if it's a Gas H.W. Heater, the burn off from the Pilot Light is CO2 (I believe), know there's horror stories of People who loose Power in a Snow Storm & try Heating with a Gas Range & are found Dead days later from CO2 Poisoning. My Place is all electric. Gonna be cautious 1st time around and wait on the CO2...will spend that money on more and better Lights or Weed! Bahahahahahahahahaha! If I can find it...Lord, please get me out of this State!
ya got it backwards
CO2 is from things like alcohol fermentation
CO (mono) is from combustion like home heaters

If you want big plants with big yields , let the plants veg for 4 months before you flip to flower and have them in a final growbag of at least 25 gals before flip to 12-12
Gonna Start them in the Pots that they'll finish in, figure that will eliminate any loss of grow time due to Stress, want them all Fat, Sassy & Healthy. Have never had to Transplant by doing this unless they're Seedlings from a Nursery's Starter Pot, then they go straight home & into the Pre-Prepared Full Size Container or good 'ole Mother Earth!
ya got it backwards
CO2 is from things like alcohol fermentation
CO (mono) is from combustion like home heaters
Backwards?...ME! The Left Handed Guy who crawled Backwards, looking over my shoulder as a Baby, who Bats & Plays Golf Right Handed, but Pitched & Threw Left Handed and Plays Drums Ambidextrously...NOT ME...I'm just a Regular Guy! LOL!

So essentially, I could get a group of people to gather around my plants and Breath, but there's a downfall to this, I believe...oh yeah...will have to do something with the Bodies, think Boo said pute is good with evidence! Where is Boo?, he's Okay isn't he?

I’ve never used CO2 but my flower tent is also in my utility room with my gas furnace and water heater don’t know if that has helped or not.
also my plants love a transplant. I transplant my photoperiods three times before landing in their final pots. They burst with growth each time. Maybe the fresh dirt. Also gives me a chance to see what the roots look like.

I have yet to loose one but I'm usually Growing Tomatoes, Herbs and Peppers for Sauces & Gravies (Hot Pepper Sauces & Jelly, Spaghetti Sauce & Paste). Plant'em once & periodically sprinkle a mixture of Sphagnum Moss and either Cow/Steer Manure or Bat Guana on top and water it in the moss will slowly break down & join the party. The Cow & Bat Pooh goes right to work,,,I need to get a new PH Meter, cause this ones enlistment is up, time to go Bye-Bye! My Planting Medium is Basically the same, but the Pooh and Moss are Mixed with a Bagged Humus/Top Soil/Garden Soil What ever is Organic & Cheap. I do need to put a Water Filtration System in my Place, the Water here taste & smells like Chlorine (Georgia Water...Go Dawgs! LOL!), haven't tested it yet, but will. Presently Drink & Cook with Purified Water (at $1.50 a Gallon)...This Town Needs an Enema!
I’ve never used CO2 but my flower tent is also in my utility room with my gas furnace and water heater don’t know if that has helped or not.
also my plants love a transplant. I transplant my photoperiods three times before landing in their final pots. They burst with growth each time. Maybe the fresh dirt. Also gives me a chance to see what the roots look like.
Part of it may be your Plants want your Luvin' Hands to Hold & Cuddle them before Presenting you with a Big Bouquet of Flowers! Just a Thought...

GROW BAGS!!! Geez that's what I forgot, actually like those Slotted Pots that I believe Big Sur uses, seems like the roots will get more Oxygen in them, believe they were from Canada, gotta find that Post!

I would get a couple of grows under your belt before considering CO2 supplementation. You need to have everything dialed in before it would make sense. CO2 can be dangerous(like CO). It doesn’t take much to cause you to pass out.

I start plants in small pots or even seed starter trays and up-pot 2 or 3 times(depending on if I start in small 2 cup plastic pots or seed starter trays). . As subby said, they seem to like the fresh soil and grow faster when the roots explore their new neighborhood. I finish in 3 gallon felt bags. Works for my size tent and style.

Just Ordered some Grow Bags .5 Gallon, 7 Gallon & 20 Gallon Tall Narrow Bags, don't want them Spreading a wide Span that's why the Narrow ones & being tall, I can fill them half way & have Plenty of Fill Room if they stretch to much early. Would like to keep them Short & Stocky but Genetics do what they're gonna do, trying to cover every Base. Did find an Ace Hardware in this One Donkey Town & they have a Large Garden Supply Section, gonna buy a Small amount of Composted Soil, Peat & Manure or Guana (they actually have Bat Guana), Also gonna buy a few Plants as cover, probably herbs...now it off to the Lighting Department...2,000 Miles down the Street, on the Left Coast.

I would get a couple of grows under your belt before considering CO2 supplementation. You need to have everything dialed in before it would make sense. CO2 can be dangerous(like CO). It doesn’t take much to cause you to pass out.

I start plants in small pots or even seed starter trays and up-pot 2 or 3 times(depending on if I start in small 2 cup plastic pots or seed starter trays). . As subby said, they seem to like the fresh soil and grow faster when the roots explore their new neighborhood. I finish in 3 gallon felt bags. Works for my size tent and style.
YES
I AGREE
Do not Jump into the deep end until you can swim.
Even very experienced growers will not see much improvement to their yields with CO2 use until they have a sealed room dialed in with a Good control panel for the CO2 and extra heat produced from being sealed. I did it 2 times and feel I never benefited from it.
Others will say different.

YES
I AGREE
Do not Jump into the deep end until you can swim.
Even very experienced growers will not see much improvement to their yields with CO2 use until they have a sealed room dialed in with a Good control panel for the CO2 and extra heat produced from being sealed. I did it 2 times and feel I never benefited from it.
Others will say different.
Yep, a sealed room is imperative unless you want to waste your time and money. Mine is. Timers, control panel, etc. Only difference I noticed is more robuust plants and more rapid growth.

Normal CO2 levels are around 400 PPM. I run my room at 1800.

Yep, a sealed room is imperative unless you want to waste your time and money. Mine is. Timers, control panel, etc. Only difference I noticed is more robuust plants and more rapid growth.

Normal CO2 levels are around 400 PPM. I run my room at 1800.
The CO2 gets exhausted out of the room I assume so it has to be constantly flowing from your tank. How much does it take per day to get to 1800 ppm? How warm do you run the room too? I doubt I will ever get to that level of automation/sophistication but I just like to know stuff. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back