Coco Coir and Runoff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ganjier

Bud of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Hi all. I have my girls in 3 gallon pots in coco plus perlite. They are about 2 weeks old and handling 750 to 1000 ppm including calmag. I feed them daily with a regular size drinking bottles/ 17 oz full of my nutrient solution. I do not get any runoff. I have always read to have some runoff to get rid of built up salts while growing in soil, but is it the same with coco? I have grown DWC and never ran my plants with plain water...they always sat in solution. So far i have not seen any issues, but i dont want any suprises, also feeding daily i hate to "waste" nutrient solution. I have been reading many other peoples threads on the internet asking the same thing who use drip feeders and do not have runoff from the few minutes the feeders turn on. Hmmm? Thanks yall!

Last edited:
As the nute solution dries it leaves behind salts that build up over time and leads to nutrient lock out. I know I tried it and eventually, usually in flower the plants start to yellow at the edges and burn.
I grow in coco and some of the best results were from running drain to waste system with about 10-15% runoff.

As the nute solution dries it leaves behind salts that build up over time and leads to nutrient lock out. I know I tried it and eventually, usually in flower the plants start to yellow at the edges and burn.
I grow in coco and some of the best results were from running drain to waste system with about 10-15% runoff.
I will add more nutrient. Thank you. 😁

In fact my system is 3 or 5 gal felt pots on a rack above a plastic tray, the tray has a float switch at the bottom and a pump hosed to the drain.
Its feed from a 50 gal reservoir with a nice size submersible pump that goes to a manifold and splits off to each pot with a water ring.

The pump is on a timer a couple min twice a day, I time it till all pots are draining into the tray.

I can leave home for days.

In fact my system is 3 or 5 gal felt pots on a rack above a plastic tray, the tray has a float switch at the bottom and a pump hosed to the drain.
Its feed from a 50 gal reservoir with a nice size submersible pump that goes to a manifold and splits off to each pot with a water ring.

The pump is on a timer a couple min twice a day, I time it till all pots are draining into the tray.

What PPM were you running I shot for 850-900 ppms
Also No plain water feeds in between?

I need this setup. I leave a few days at a time occassionally. I just got my setup going, and my temps are dialed in. I have room resivior...how deep is your drain tray. Do you have photos of your setup, if not maybe a youtube video that would help me build simaler? Im only in a 3x3 tent so im sure a 15 to 20 gallon resivior would suffice. Any visuals would help greatly. Thanks. Btw, i am in fabric pots. Like this...https://youtu.be/KpKshxKPJ-A

How about this?

Here....this looks doable for me. 😁
It wont allow link but its on youtube.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220303-191943_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20220303-191943_YouTube.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 3
What PPM were you running I shot for 850-900 ppms
Also No plain water feeds in between?
I use 900-1200 ppm, generally I don't do straight water but will .

I need this setup. I leave a few days at a time occassionally. I just got my setup going, and my temps are dialed in. I have room resivior...how deep is your drain tray. Do you have photos of your setup, if not maybe a youtube video that would help me build simaler? Im only in a 3x3 tent so im sure a 15 to 20 gallon resivior would suffice. Any visuals would help greatly. Thanks. Btw, i am in fabric pots. Like this...https://youtu.be/KpKshxKPJ-A

Here is a pic of the rack I use, you can see the bottom tray.
Just a small submersible pump in there with the float switch.
Rack.jpg

I use 900-1200 ppm, generally I don't do straight water but will .

Here is a pic of the rack I use, you can see the bottom tray.
Just a small submersible pump in there with the float switch.View attachment 289692
If i only had the room. Lol
Im stuck in a 3x3vtent until laws change here. So i decided to just keep hand watering, but i will up it to 1 liter per 3 gallon pot, and every 3 weeks run 1 gallon of solution through the media to wash out any buildup.
So today i ran 900 ppm 5.9 ph of 1 gallon through each 3 gallon pot. I got good runoff, but man my pots are super heavy now. Lol
Might wait a day or 2 to feed again. Seems like a lot of solution to get runoff.
When my state catches up to others, i will turn my current 3x3 into my veg chamber and upgrade my flower chamber to allow me to run hydro lines.
To be honest....i miss my dwc 5 gallon bucket setup i had back in the day. One day Loola, one day. 😁
Thanks for the photo brother! 💪🤘😁

Latest posts

Back