coco ? questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoner 420

Reaction score
i have been reading on doing a hydro grow instead of a soil grow have done many soil grows but i am fixing to be doing clones and wanna go hydro prolly dwc. my question is what is this coco stuff? only thing i can think of is the same stuff i use for my mushrooms and thats a coco fiber substrate is this the same and can it be used in place of soil in a self watering soil type grow .. any advice would be greatly appreciated ..

Yes you can, I'm using it right now. You can't use just Coco, I use Sunshine Advance, Ultra Choir, Its a Coconut blend. It contains Coco, Peat Moss, And perlite. The Coco its self the water goes right through it you need that extra stuff. You can make your own stuff with buying the ingredients and making it but I'm lazy lol
The only thing with the Coco that it has no nutrient value at all, So you would have to add all the nutrients the plants needs, I'm using the Botanicare line. The Botanicare line is designed for Coco, You can't use Fox farms nutrients because they don't have all the stuff you need for growing in Coco.
I've heard from reading that coco has a less of chance of bugs then soil but I have no proof on that.

i have thought about it but i also found a diy rdwc setup im gonna try was just curious if i could use just coco for a hydro setup and my mushrooms love this stuff so guess my girls will get to use it too lol.. damn nice to have something laying around that i can use for multiple uses

The regular coco coir can be used as a stand alone but it gets too compact over time and doesn't drain well. If pearlite is added to it at about 3:1, I have found it work flawlessly. I run hydro in coco coir only, I use coco mat to cover the bottoms of my pots (which have been drilled with 3/8" holes for drainage) and then I fill the pots with coco coir/pearlite mixture, and then set my plants. I have a recirculating system that top waters and allows it to drain back to rez. It works very efficiently.

I love working with coco as it is very neutral but holds nutrients like a sponge. The only issue that it has is that it holds magnesium too well so a cal/mag suppliment has to be used through most of the life of the plant to prevent deficiencies.

If you want to see my system look at the pics in my grow journal "stealth cabinets" in my signature at the bottom of the page :)

Coconut coir as a growing media can be purchased in either loose or dried and compressed forms. The loose forms are already hydrated and are usually ready to be added to containers or raised beds for planting. The compressed forms require hydrating. Although the hydration process may be laborious, the dried and compressed blocks are much easier to transport to and inside of the growing location. The blocks are ideal for remote outdoor gardens. In compressed form, the blocks typically take up about 1/5th of the space as commercial peat mixes, and are much lighter in weight. For example a 5KG block of compressed coco coir measures about 10” X 10” X 4” and when expanded yields near 72 liters of high quality growing media. That’s enough to fill nine 2 gallon pots; one block per 1000W HID lamp.

Some coirs have been chemically treated, this is most often the case with loose pre-hydrated varieties versus compressed blocks. The treatment has been done to satisfy the cation exchange capacity (CEC) of the growing media. As a refresher, “cations” are positively charged ions, such as Calcium, Magnesium, Sodium, and Potassium. This means that the growing media will hold these ions in a matrix, releasing them as required by plants. There is one slight drawback to this. Until the cation exchange capacity of the growing media is filled, the growing media may hold positively charged nutrient ions, most notably calcium, in reserve, making them less available to plants. However, the cation exchange capacity (CEC) of the coir media is quickly filled, and actually assists calcium absorption in the crop cycle. To ensure optimum availability of all nutrients, supply additional calcium during the first week of growth or during the hydrating process of the coconut coir. Calcium supplement products are ideal for this. Some nutrients specifically formulated for coco tend to have elevated levels of calcium and magnesium while having lower levels of nitrogen.

Nice copy and paste Dr.;)

Dr...... When most of us do a copy and paste we try to give the OP credit for the information. See site rules #6

thanks everyone for the input so i guess ill mix some perilite with my coco coir and try in my diy rdwc setup. im doin a hybrid between dwc and nft with 4in pvc and several 3in net cups. and if i can use coco\perilite ill be happy.. thanks in advance

try in my diy rdwc setup. im doin a hybrid between dwc and nft with 4in pvc and several 3in net cups.

Sounds more like a hybrid ebb-n-flow then a dwc. I would watch for root growth plugging up your drain.

If you are using coco coir in net pots you may have a problem with your pumps getting clogged unless you use a pretrap to catch loose coco that falls through the netpot holes until it settles well enough. That is why I use the coco fiber mat material in the bottoms of my pots. It stops all of the loose coco from falling through and getting into my rez. You can actually buy the coco fiber cups that will fit in the bottoms of the netpots but they are too small for my pots. If you look for those, don't get the ones that are like a 1/4" thick as they don't drain well because they are glued together in the weave and compressed to be thin. The thicker weave mats allow more drainage :)

what is this coco stuff? ..[/QUOTE said:
I won't use it again. If you do, check the ppm.
I thought a 50/50 (perlite) mix would save me the "Great Escape Tunnel" discarding soil dilemma.
I'm going with hydroton, easier to discard. I have a sligshot.... it takes awhile though.

Latest posts

Back