Coconut Pellets? anybody try it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

str8t0thetop

Reaction score
saw them at my local grow shop and picked them up to try to give them a try does anyone one use them? do you germ first with the paper towel method of soak in water? or do you just soak the coco pellet and pop the seed in and wait?

They are new over here in the UK, they are like peat pellets, put a seed in, water it, and thats all there is to it :)

I love them! You use them just like peat pellets. Let them soak up as much water as they can hold, then drop the seed in (pointed side up), and cover lightly. After that keep them moist but not soaked. If it's too wet mold will start growing.

To start seeds for hydro (DWC) I cut the pellets in half. When the roots start poking out I put it in a net pot with clay pellets. Works great!

so I can put them directly under my fluorescent tubes or should I wait for them to pop first?

how long before a transplate? when i see the roots growing thru its ready? and how long normally before a transplant?

str8t0thetop said:
how long before a transplate? when i see the roots growing thru its ready?

Yes :)

Just wait till you see the roots showing, it could be 3 days, it could be a week.

:peace:

put them directly under the light too? any other tips on this method?

also for the transplant I can just put the entire thing directly into the soil right?

str8t0thetop said:
put them directly under the light too? any other tips on this method?

also for the transplant I can just put the entire thing directly into the soil right?

Yep, put 'em under the light right away after putting the seed in (for warmth if nothing else). If you have or can find one of those plastic greenhouses with the clear tops it would be helpful. You just need to keep it warm (somewhere around 80°-85°F) and try not to let it dry out. When you see a few roots popping through drop the whole thing in the dirt.

Good luck to ya!

thanks for the tips, obviously I soak the coco in a good ph water before I put the seed in right?

I don't think it is a good idea to use a dome with seedlings. As soon as they pop, get them close to your fluoros and get some "wind" (a fan) blowing on them to strengthen the stems.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I don't think it is a good idea to use a dome with seedlings. As soon as they pop, get them close to your fluoros and get some "wind" (a fan) blowing on them to strengthen the stems.

My experience with humidity is this;>P

When I lived on the left coast at 30 ft, the humidity averaged 80% and rarely dropped below 60%, so I would have agreed with you, but now that I live in the sierras at 1500 ft the situation has changed greatly and I'm having to learn how to do many things (including using humidity domes) differently=>)

My point is that if the naturally occurring humidity in your area is high enough to keep young plants moist YAY, if not domes might be called for;>)

The recommended ph is 5-6!>)

guess ill go buy a dome then they are cheap anyways where im at it is still pretty cold outside and not humid AT ALL

is it better to let my pellets suck up water slowly like if i put them in a growing tray or should I completely submerge them in water put them under the light to letem warm up alittle and pop my beans in?

The Hemp Goddess said:
As soon as the seedling stands strait up I open my dome and turn on a small fan, but while still popping I leave the dome on.

naturalhi said:
My point is that if the naturally occurring humidity in your area is high enough to keep young plants moist YAY, if not domes might be called for;>)
:yeahthat:

str8t0thetop said:
is it better to let my pellets suck up water slowly like if i put them in a growing tray or should I completely submerge them in water put them under the light to letem warm up alittle and pop my beans in?

Too much water (as in soaking) will keep air which roots also need out of the root area; that's why ebb 'n' flo, aeroponics, and sprinkler/drip systems have become popular. I'm also gathering parts for a DIY hydrosonic setup, stay tuned!>O

Latest posts

Back