Cold nights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killertea08

Liven The Dream
Reaction score
Hey MP gonna start a grow soon in my outdoor shed in the mountains but the temps out side dip in the 30s so I was thinking to supplement that just to run my lights at night. Is there anything else I can do?

Running your lights at night will cure that problem, or you could put a heater in there for the night time.

Runnim night friend yual be best to keep the balance best you can. I too run at night as it still be dropin below zero here fur sure regular. An yual dont need to be drawin on power yual cant get so runnin them be best bet and maybe re route some and I say just some yur exhaust re threw yur room and capitalize on some warm air help as well. Hopin I help long yur trail friend good luck yur grow.

BWD

insolate the Shed well helps too...I also grow in a SHed:D

take care and be safe

On at night will take care of lights on temps, but then even the day (or nights in flower room will need some heat. At least most temps dropping below freezing at night are still having 40 to 50 daytime temperatures. When the lights are off, you can use the available amps to run a small oil filled heater.

You will absolutely need to do some serious insulating to help maintain the temps both in cold temps and during warm temps. :)

Thanks everyone, my shed is 10x10 and I was considering insulating big time. Im using a 4x4grow tent inside to help with light leaks, with a heat problem would a 1000w be better then a 600 due to the fact that they run hotter.

That depends on how cold are the temps you are up against. How warm does it get in the summer months? You don't necessarily need a 1k but it wouldn't hurt if you are up north a ways and have mild summers. I build a recirculation box for my exaust system that has a dual output so that I can close one vent and open the other during cold periods and recirculate the heat. Or I can manipulate both vents on the box and only recirculate some of the heat while pushing the rest out of the grow space. It works really good.

I think having the tent inside the shed is a good idea as you will want to keep it light tight for flowering while still having another space for vegging and cloning plants. :)

I'm sorry I don't have the boxes where I can get a pic og them right now. But I drew a diagram of the box looking down from the top. The box is made of 1/2" plywood and has duct connectors on each end(I call them top hats as that is what they look like). There are also 2 duct vent covers that are much like the ones that go in the floor for central HVAC. Both of these items can be bought at Lowes or other home improvement/building supply. Each of the vent covers has closable louvers attached to a thumb slide on the outside. On the one vent that is mounted inside the box, I connected a piece of metal to serve as a latch for opening and closing that vent.

The inside vent determines how much air is exausted by opening or closing it, and the recirc vent determines how much air is pushed back into the room by opening and closing it. Each vent is worked manually and independantly. The exaust fan is mounted on the left side that is labeled intake. This allows for the push of the fan to be able to be redirected by the opening and shutting of the louvers of the 2 vents. The plywood box has 6" round holes cut in each end for the "tophats" to connect air to the box. Square holes are cut in the interior plywood wall and the side wall for the louvered vents to mount into. The box is completed by using silicone caulk to seal the corners from air leaks and the top is set on and screwed in place. :)

air recirculation box.JPG

louver vent.jpg

top hat.jpg

Latest posts

Back