Come to learn and share

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aksarben

Reaction score
I originated in Nebraska, but now live in Michigan. Since it has now become both legal for medical and recreational I started growing a couple of plants inside. I'll post questions to that in the appropriate forums I work in the lab of a winery and have been making wine since 1971 off and on, but now get paid for my winemaking experience and knowledge and still learn stuff all along the way.

Good to meet you all! Hope to learn and perhaps contribute as I can.

OK.. came back to this post to ask simple question. Last summer I started loosing visual acuity that was permanent (Opthamologist) first in left eye and then last November in right eye. Less so in right eye now, but I have been able to reverse it a bit and gain back some of my vision after using some marijuana products. CBD and concentrate vape pens... But, my vision is still a challenge and I was looking for a way to make my posts at a certain font and font size in a permanent manner. Is there a global setting I can do to change the font and size of my text? Appreciate that info. Thanks!!

Last edited:
Welcome to MP !-- This is where MJ knowledge lives !-- We got a place here for folks like U !-- Home of the Old Farts Club in the coffee table section -- You're welcome to join us is U wish ?-- Bunch of Old Farts growing some weed and hanging out !- Many of us got health problems that we treat with weed in one form or another !-- I slipped on a wet floor --shattered my face and injured my neck!--I spent most of a decade as a legal morphine junkie -- They kinda adopted me here and taught me how to treat myself -- I take cannacaps !- It's just activated weed ( decarbed ) packed into gel caps -- I take 3 doses a day and get around fairly well most times !-- I'm learning the art of wine -- Just a mere student of the craft !-- I make fruit wine then condense it by freezing off about half the water ?-- I could use some pointers ! -- I can't help U with computer tech -- I'm a reformed recovering smart phone assassin !-- I'm lucky just to be here !

I originated in Nebraska, but now live in Michigan. Since it has now become both legal for medical and recreational I started growing a couple of plants inside. I'll post questions to that in the appropriate forums I work in the lab of a winery and have been making wine since 1971 off and on, but now get paid for my winemaking experience and knowledge and still learn stuff all along the way.

Good to meet you all! Hope to learn and perhaps contribute as I can.

OK.. came back to this post to ask simple question. Last summer I started loosing visual acuity that was permanent (Opthamologist) first in left eye and then last November in right eye. Less so in right eye now, but I have been able to reverse it a bit and gain back some of my vision after using some marijuana products. CBD and concentrate vape pens... But, my vision is still a challenge and I was looking for a way to make my posts at a certain font and font size in a permanent manner. Is there a global setting I can do to change the font and size of my text? Appreciate that info. Thanks!!

Welcome to MP. I will ask your question in the Moderator section and see if I can get an answer for you. I am not sure what Operating system you are using but this link is for Windows 10>>>https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028566/windows-10-change-the-size-of-text

THANKS! Yes, I can change the size of text using (CTRL) + center mouse movement. That changes text sizes overall in a browser window. I can also change default text view globally in my laptop in settings. I have Windows 10, unfortunately. Should have stays with 8.1 but thats a different story... I've put computers together, build-repair-upgrade since mid 1980s. Software defaults in forums can be a bit challenging though. I like Book Antiqua with the font set at 5. Not too obnoxious then, but still readable (larger) fairly well without over crowding the page.

THANKS! Yes, I can change the size of text using (CTRL) + center mouse movement. That changes text sizes overall in a browser window. I can also change default text view globally in my laptop in settings. I have Windows 10, unfortunately. Should have stays with 8.1 but thats a different story... I've put computers together, build-repair-upgrade since mid 1980s. Software defaults in forums can be a bit challenging though. I like Book Antiqua with the font set at 5. Not too obnoxious then, but still readable (larger) fairly well without over crowding the page.

I got an answer and no it can't be done on the site, so you will have to adjust things on your end. I actually like Windows 10 at this point.

Thanks all! I am a 65 year old newbie. Grew up on a farm/ranch in NW rural Nebraska, hence the spelling of Nebraska ... backwards. I've raised apples and wine grapes in Nebraska before moving to MI to work as an Associate Winemaker at a winery. Pretty much do all the lab work, and used to write spray and work orders for the vineyards. Now that we have a new vineyard manager, I spend most of the time doing lab work. The winery is very interested in growing industrial hemp, and I suggested they might concentrate on CBD rich hemp.

Only been using Marijuana since around the end of Dec. 2018. So definitely wet behind the ears on it. I have used it to help with some of my sight recovery when I was diagnosed with ION, an optical condition that has killed some of the light nerve receptors and on the left eye gives me spotty vision.... literately. The right eye showed the similar symptoms in November 2018 and I ha a lot of inflammation and some vision loss on the right eye as well, making me use extra reading glasses along with my bifocals just to be able to read smaller print. Since using marijuana and CBD on a daily basis a lot of my vision has returned in my right eye, the inflammation is gone and my eyesight seems to improve little by little.

MUCH better than that crap Prednisone that the put me on and I promptly weaned off it as quick as I could. Not liking the 300 and 400 range in my blood glucose while using it. So just going on, looking to learn, read, and understand more about the myriad of Terpenes and cannaboids that are useful to help the human body.

I sincerely believe that THC all and by itself is not the answer to healing, but rather the "whole" of the plant, it's varied Terpenes and things like CBD, CBN and the many other cannaboids.

And I thank you all for your honesty and candor!!!

So many years ago, living in NW Nebraska, I grew up farming sections (640 acres = 1 section) at a time. I was around 15 at the time. Wheat farming mostly, but some corn and oats later on. Later on in life I grew wine grapes and had a producing high density apple orchard. I am 65 years old now and have a lot of experience in growing, just not in hydroponics nor much in growing indoors, other than starting tomatoes from seeds and things like that. In 1999 I was hired on at Fenn Valley as an Associate Winemaker and to oversee the vineyards operations. At our home (10 acres) we also grow grafted Heartnuts, English (Carpathian) grafted walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds and peaches on the 10 acres we bought in SW Michigan. I read a lot and am blessed with high retention of what I read. Right now reading "Marijuana Growers Guide" by Mel Frank, "The Cannabis Breeder's Bible" by Greg Green, and "Marijuana Growers Handbook" by Ed Rosenthal. The breeders book is fascinating! Marijuana is an interesting plant, aside from the "high" in that it is Dioecious , meaning male and female plants, with the exception of those that for one reason or another have turned hermaphrodite, as a means of preservation. Wild grapevines are pretty much the same, as far as separate sexes as they have male and females, and when they were bred with European or other grape species, they became self fertile having both male and female part on a singular plant flower. Eastern, and middle Nebraska is full of marijuana/weed/hemp. It's all Cannabis, but only our governments differentiate the difference between hemp and marijuana by the designation of ,0.3% THC for hemp and above that for Marijuana. BTW, a Canadian researcher Dr. Ernest Small came up with that figure and even he said it is meaningless... just an arbitrary number. Go figure. Yet that stupid reference was spread worldwide and defines industrial hemp vs marijuana.

So hopefully my past farming, growing experience with "other" crops, it can be of value as well as what I glean from reading articles on the internet and in those books I outlined above. I do not delve into hydroponics so probably will not be much help there. However, I do know about soils, pH, nutrients, pests, and so on.

I am more of an outdoor grower, but may setup a a small grow tent or such later on.

One thing is for certain, with the passing of the 2018 Farm Bill and the legalization of industrial hemp, it will present challenges to those that grow their own, either in states that they are legal to do so, or in states that they have to grow clandestine, as pollen from male hemp plants can travel up to 30 miles and, yes, pollinate any female marijuana plant you may have been growing. It will more than likely get worse EVEN IF things go well for marijuana legalization, you will have this to contend with. Hence I have shifted gears into growing Autoflower that have a short grow cycle before harvest. It may be that we will need to grow Autoflower plants in some area or breed and develop short growing season photoperiod strains to grown and mature BEFORE the hemp has a chance to fertilize them.
Vern

Unfortunately, growing autos will probably not help with pollen problems with hemp. Males plants flower and drop pollen early in their life cycle. While it takes female plants months to develop female flowers, males develop flowers and drop pollen early in flowering--like a couple weeks.

The first year I grew in Oregon, my next door neighbor did not get a male out of his garden and it pollinated my girls. And were talking like the first part of July when I saw the plant and we pulled it. While it wasn't hemp, the process was the same. So, anticipate that hemp will be dropping pollen before the autos finish.

I don't have the problem yet with wind drift pollen, but thinking of the future. I put some Auto strains in their own peat pots and soil on Easter Sunday and all but one has sprouted and grown the secondary leaves. Now to transplant into their permanent grow pots and put them outside.
Tell me, If one starts seeds early on, say end of Feb or middle of April, would that give them enough of a head start to beat the hemp "IF" it is planted outside as they would normally plant their industrial hemp? This is all speculation, of course, but I would think that early starts would have a head start up on natural or others. We do Tomatoes and Peppers inside for the reason of getting a good start on getting early fruit,, or we buy larger plants at Walmart. Guess it might be a while before you can waltz into Walmart and pickup a 3-4 week old marijuana cultivar ready for planting. Can you imagine that!1?? LOL

At what age, in weeks, have you seen male marijuana plants pop their pollen sacs?

Latest posts

Back