Competing Seedlings!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LilDad

Reaction score
Beginners mistake: I thought one seed wasn’t taking, so I planted another one after rifling the soil around (dumb). Now there are two sprouts RIGHT next to each other.

1.) One of them looks kind of stretched, so is that the one I get rid of (can’t keep them all as I have my legal limit)? Maybe it’s stretched because the other one is up in its business?
2.) Can I uproot one without hurting the other?
3.) I feel like this is a burning building situation as seedlings are so particular. Am I correct in that?

Attachments

• F82C703E-4646-4E54-A1E8-4534266A0FE3.jpeg
    F82C703E-4646-4E54-A1E8-4534266A0FE3.jpeg
    171.1 KB · Views: 6
1.) 50-50 choice unless the seeds were feminized in which case it does not matter which one you chop

2.) probably , but why take the chance?…just whack one at the base of the stem with a sharp pair of scissors and it’s a done deal

3.) yes. always try and avoid crisis management

one more question , what strandivars arenyou growing?

1.) 50-50 choice unless the seeds were feminized in which case it does not matter which one you chop

2.) probably , but why take the chance?…just whack one at the base of the stem with a sharp pair of scissors and it’s a done deal

3.) yes. always try and avoid crisis management

one more question , what strandivars arenyou growing?

Thanks for the insight!

in that particular pot I have Northern Lights Auto. I am also growing Skunk Auto, Afghan Auto, and Gorilla Glue Auto (all Growers Choice seeds).

I’ll lop the tall-boi off! Thanks!

I've been growing Autos too.
I have a Gabagoo and Blue Vangoo Auto just popped soil.

I've been growing Autos too.
I have a Gabagoo and Blue Vangoo Auto just popped soil.
So what do you do different with Autos? Do you still have the lighting starting at 6/18 or 12/12? I have an auto strain growing with the regular feminized plants. It is literally 3-4 times bigger than the rest. I had 5 but the 115 heat spell day got to them and 2 switched to male and made big pollen sacs. I am currently 6/18 lights, 75 deg, 50-60% hum. I do two tents so I can separate the autos from the regular. So, Hi and thank you. 👍 🌱 🙃

Autos will flower no matter what light schedule you have them under. I grow outside so mother nature deals with that.
When I grew them inside I used 20/4 untill the last couple weeks of flower and I switch to 12/12.
Just seems to swell up more using 12/12 for the last couple weeks. Might be in my head but it worked for me.

Autos will flower no matter what light schedule you have them under. I grow outside so mother nature deals with that.
When I grew them inside I used 20/4 untill the last couple weeks of flower and I switch to 12/12.
Just seems to swell up more using 12/12 for the last couple weeks. Might be in my head but it worked for me.
So I'm not too far off with 6/18 lighting for now? Stupid question???? How do I know when to change the lights to 12/12 if I decide to keep them indoors. And when should I separate them? Does it hurt to have them in the same tent with the regulars?

Here's a sample of my babies. The Auto is huge compared to the others. I will try to get the 2 big autos transplanted today into 1 gallon plastic bag pots. Then ??? I did buy a small green house for outdoors so maybe I'll get it out and see how and where it will work. I can leave the Autos in the small indoor tent and move the others to their new digs in the BIG GROWNUP tent. (2 X 4)

Also, the rest of them that were yellowing have turned a beautiful dark green and they have shot up overnight. Only one looks a little behind. Fed them again yesterday with Grow Big. I water by how heavy the cup feels-they are still pretty damp (heavy) so I will wait to feed and water later today or this evening. Humidifier running-ambient humidity is about 40??? I can get it up to 50-60% in my room.

PS... Where did I see it? Someone started seedlings in a clear plastic cup that fit very nicely inside a Solo cup. I thought it is a great idea cause you can check on the root structure by lifting up the inner cup-maybe next grow. The 2 Autos I dumped out had lots of roots. 🤔 🌱

Attachments

• 091822.jpg
    091822.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 091822autoreg.jpg
    091822autoreg.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 091822auto.jpg
    091822auto.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 0
If they are Autos you don't need to flip to 12/12. They will flower no matter what. 18/6 is fine but i would suggest 20/4. They seem to do better under 20/4 than 18/6. You can grow them under 24/0 untill they flower and than drop back to 20/4 or 18/6.
I only used 12/12 a couple weeks before harvest.
As for clear solo cups put into red solo cups I think it was Sub but I could be wrong.

If they are Autos you don't need to flip to 12/12. They will flower no matter what. 18/6 is fine but i would suggest 20/4. They seem to do better under 20/4 than 18/6. You can grow them under 24/0 untill they flower and than drop back to 20/4 or 18/6.
I only used 12/12 a couple weeks before harvest.
As for clear solo cups put into red solo cups I think it was Sub but I could be wrong.
Well ok then, I will start up the other tent. Just started raining so it will be a few minutes---The tent is ready though: 20/4 on the lights. Humidity is 51%. I got this cool hygrometer that has a remote sensor and I can be in my room and see what the temp and hum is in the big tent in the other room from my desk. 👍

Well ok then, I will start up the other tent. Just started raining so it will be a few minutes---The tent is ready though: 20/4 on the lights. Humidity is 51%. I got this cool hygrometer that has a remote sensor and I can be in my room and see what the temp and hum is in the big tent in the other room from my desk. 👍
Auto 1, 2 and 3 transplanted into same potting soil as some of the cups I used for seedlings. And they needed a boost of nitrogen from the start. I guess I could just start the Autos on a low addition of the 6-4-4 fertilizer as I water. Good idea? Wait to see if the soil is bad because they will start to yellow?

The cool remote sensor tells me the tent is 76.8 deg and 52% humidity. The lights are set to go off at 11 pm and back on at 3 am. That's right? Lights are 20 and 4. I think the big tent is all set.

All the others have greened up really nicely. They probably have a nice root system by now. They are 3 weeks old today if I count the days starting from the first 2 leaf sprout. (and that peroxide thing made them start off really well.) I will start transplanting them tomorrow. I love the plastic bag pots for this phase of their development. Super easy to put them in their final pots when time comes.

Oh yea, one picture shows all three Autos. The little one front is an Auto. I almost gave up but it finally sprouted. It was bright yellow from the start so I guess that should have made me think about nutrients. All the others were pale yellow to some degree. Anyway not only was it yellow but its all funny shaped. Dont's see any buds starting-just trying to grow leaves. I might keep it to see what happens. I can use it for edibles. Thank you all for your knowledge and advice. 🤔 😉🌱

Attachments

• 091822transplantautosab.jpg
    091822transplantautosab.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 091822transplantautos.jpg
    091822transplantautos.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 091822transplantautosa.jpg
    091822transplantautosa.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 091822transplantautosc.jpg
    091822transplantautosc.jpg