Complete noob; Creating a grow Space

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mleiter

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have decided I would like to try my hand at growing. So as an experiment I want to try out growing 2 plants. I have never done anything like this. I do not even grow a normal garden. Since this is just an experiment, I hope to keep the costs down as much as possible. If it turns out I am good at this then I do have the means to make something more extravagant. But for now I am doing this on the cheap. As a final thought I never want to have any more than what I can use myself. I do not foresee myself converting the entire room over to this. So any help you can give would be much appreciated.

First things first, before getting to the grow part, I would like some advice to growing a couple plants in the space I have. What I have is a spare bedroom in the second floor of my house. This room is completely unused other than as storage for some random items. This room is 10' x 11' with a 9' ceiling. There is a 2'w x 4.5'h window located in the center of the east facing wall. This room also contains a 2' x 6' closet with a standard door on the west facing wall.

How much space to I need to reserve to grow 2 plants?
Does the area need to be completely contained?
Does light need to be 100 percent controlled? Will that mean I need to build an enclosure?
Can the closet be used? How?
I do not allow smoking in my house and I own no pets, will odors be an issue?
These are just some starter questions. I hope you guys are patient. LOL

Thanks for any help you can give.

I grow in a small cabinet not quite 3 ft wide nor 2 ft deep but about 4 ft tall or 5...I use an LED setup but on the cheaper you could use a T5 fixture or some such to experiment with...Maybe a tent or even closet...there will be more ideas forthcoming Im sure...

M - best thing to do is just jump in -- U can grow in the closet but U gonna have heat problems !-- a warning though smoking weed is not addictive but growing it is !-- U may want to look at grow tents and put it in the empty room !--They come in different sizes -- 2 plants in a tent should work fine !-- Light ? -- I would suggest an LED - maybe 1,200 watts --Light leakage is only a problem for stealth - U got a window glowing with pink light someone gonna figure out what U doing -- Black out the windows with tin foil -- growing is all about environment !
U came to the right place M.
Any ideas on what U would like to grow ?-- RE there grows some autos - might be a good way to get your feet wet !-- I would suggest U buy feminized seed so everyone is a girl!
I run a continuous grow with mostly indicas -- I clone and run the same plant over and over - I grew a White Widow for 4 1/2 years -- I'm in the process of setting back up after a move - Moved from Corpus Christi to East Texas -- I'm helping my nephew set up a grow -- which will probably all come to my house after we sell the beach house and I buy me a little secluded place !-- At the moment there are 18 rooted cuttings in my aero cloner -- and I got about 15 plants to sex before I can really start growing -I sex them to get rid of any boys The girls will be my harem -I clone and run which ever one I want !- I use 2 grow Areas - One for bloom and one for veg -- Good Luck to U !

Pot is not a cheap plant to grow, first off. The cheapest way is outdoors. So you will need lighting. What are you thinking? A small LED would be fine for 2 plants and if you find you love this growing thing you can add more later. I started in my bathtub, then a closet and now a bathroom and outside. Are you doing dirt or water farming? Are you concerned about doing organic or regular? You will need good air movement, a good fan. As far as odor, yes it is a problem.

Unless you are planning to grow autoflowering plants, you will need absolute darkness for 12 hours per day. I have a 2x4x4 foot grow tent that I grew up to 4 plants in but 2 would be better. The closet will work but you will need to get hot air out and fresh, cooler air in with a fan if you go that route. Odor can be a problem. They make charcoal filters for that. I grew with t5 bulbs for a couple of years with ok results but for the same price as a t5 fixture now you can buy an led that will perform better. It isn’t a cheap hobby. My initial thoughts investment was around $500 for a light, a tent, some fans, dirt, pots, nutrients and seeds. I have probably spent another $700 since(7 years and counting) on better lights, bigger tent, better exhaust, seeds, nutes, dirt, etc but I have grown pounds of weed. I only grow to make smoke for me and family and friends.

M -- I'm angling to run the grow end of a dispensary in a partnership when Texas goes medical or recreational --
Not many in Texas got something like the hive mind I have in The Home of the Old Farts Club !-- Some think I got a snowballs chance in hell but Growing weed and making liqour are the only skills I got left ! -

Hey everyone. Thanks all for your replies. I should clear up something because I think I miss-spoke. When I said I wanted to do this on the cheap what I was thinking of was another post on this form where someone built a grow room and spent upwards of $2,000. That's not what I want. So let me say it another way. If I have a budget of $200 for just the space, not including seed, organics or any other part of the growing process, but including the enclosure, lights, fans, timers etc... can that be done?

I like the idea of a 4'w x 2'd x 6'h enclosure I should be able to build myself with maybe some 1"x 1" and paneling I can buy from Home Depot for not that much. This way it can be a free standing cabinet I can put in the corner of the room and it gives me a way of maintaining 100% light control. Are there plans out there or should I just fashion something myself?

Checking out grow tents, didn't know what that was until a second ago. Might be the best option for me.

OK, looking at a 48"x 24"x 60" tent on Amazon made by Finnhomy for $65. (I'd link it but not sure it links are allowed on this forumn.) Looks like just what I need. Anyone familiar with this brand? Is there a better one to go with?

Thanks

The link I posted is to a grow tent/light combo. Right up your alley

Hey St_Nick. I see what you mean. Getting the whole kit at once is much easier. One thing though. I don't do e-Bay. I got ripped off by them once and wont deal with them. What about the kits I am seeing on Amazon? Like this one?

https://www.amazon.com/TopoGrow-Com...CRR46K6BGPH&psc=1&refRID=EATH50F2PCRR46K6BGPH

Does this one serve the same purpose? I like that is has a charcoal filtered fan. Should help controlling the odors.

M - My grow room is about 10ft-x- 10ft - It's a room built into a stripped out mobile home that was 30ft underwater during Harvey !-- The AC unit blows out into the rest of the trailer -- I guess what I'm saying is work with what U got or can get !-- Use good light like the one Nick suggested --control your environment ( watch your temp and humidity) and grow the best genetics U can get !-- There are many seed companies-- don't buy cheap **** !-- U can shop for seed at places like Seedfinders or Leafly -- They are seed registries and only tell U where U can find the variety U want !-- Something U should know is when they say a plant finishes in 60 days that is not from the time it comes up -- That is approximately how long it will take to mature after it goes into bloom with a light change to 12/12 !
Most - No !- All the stuff I grow came to me from my friends here -- or I bred it from that stock -- I have seed to plants that make beautiful pink and purple flowers (bud)--Some U smell and say - that is blueberry !-- So many varieties to choose from !

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to be a pain but the light is pretty under powered and looking at reviews, one said the fan died in 3 months, another said the led had an issue and amazon would only take it back as the whole kit. That would or might ruin your grow. The tent you referenced paired with a different led would work but the carbon filter and exhaust fan added on will put you way over budget...

OK, so this will cost more than I was hoping. But there are ways to accommodate that. I can spread out the cost over time. If buying a kit, or at least THAT kit is not the way to go, then let me back up. How about we make a list of the item i'd need. This way I know I am getting something of good quality. And by buying individually I can spread out the costs some. FWIW, Amazon Prime is awesome, lots of times this deliver in 1 day now. LOL

So I will go with this Tent: https://www.amazon.com/Finnhomy-Hyd...69288756&sprefix=Finnhomy,aps,172&sr=8-4&th=1

How about a light, What do you suggest?

Thanks St_Nick, I'll look at that one.

What about the floor dimensions. I just watched a Youtube video that recommended a 36" x 36" space rather than a 24" x 48" because of better light distribution. On my end one or the other does not make much difference. Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back