Complete noob; Creating a grow Space

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The MarsHydro st_nick suggested would be the one, they also have this one-

MARS HYDRO TS 1000W Led Grow Light Sunlike Full Spectrum LED Growing Lights for Indoor Plants Greenhouse Veg Bloom with Updated 342 LEDs Hydroponic Led Growing Lamps with Hanger Actual Power 150Watt https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RSRX1RS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_IpxIDbQC9MGNN

I have not tried MarsHydro do I can’t vouch for them. I have a King Plus 1200 LED that I like(also on Amazon). All 3 are the same price.

You won’t need the filter for a couple or a few months. The tent, light and exhaust fan as well as (ideally) a reciprocating fan are needed to veg. I don’t have a reciprocating fan so I just use some cheapo Walmart small room fans (around $20).

Thanks St_Nick, I'll look at that one.

What about the floor dimensions. I just watched a Youtube video that recommended a 36" x 36" space rather than a 24" x 48" because of better light distribution. On my end one or the other does not make much difference. Thoughts?
36x36 is 9 sq feet vs 8 sq ft. I have a 3x3 and always wish I had more space(but if I had a 4x4 ft I’d probably want a 5x5)...

The light I pointed you at is for a 24x48. You buy the tent to fit the light. For instance. I run this light in a 24x48x60. I run 2 of the sp250 models in a 48 x 48 by 76. In the 2x4 tent, a 4 inch fan and filter will work well. If you go bigger you will need a bigger fan.

st_nick is correct. I can’t keep my 3x3 tent cool enough in the summer with a 4” fan...

OK, so I'll stick with the 24"x48" Tent.

For the light I now have a choice the MarsHydro or the King Plus 1200. I hate to be a pain but how do I decide between the 2? Or do I just pick one?

I guess the only other thing I need to get started is an exhaust fan. There si a Hydro Crunch 100CFM carbon fan on Amazon for $65. Will that work? https://www.amazon.com/Hydro-Crunch...ilter+fan&qid=1569289630&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-6

I would like to try a white LED but I have what I have. I’d try the Mars...

I think I read somewhere you want to exchange air 5 times per minute. I think 100 cfm would be 2.5 times per minute for that size tent(40 cu ft). My fan is only 140cfm which is not enough for my tent in the summer but works fine the other 3 seasons.

Here’s the thing, if you smoke or otherwise use pot...growing your own will be cheaper in the long run...get stuff to grow with that works so you don’t waste your money...like was said earlier, it not a cheap hobby but buying your weed ain’t cheap either and how do you know what you got if you didn’t grow it...

We all suffer from equipment envy so buy the best you can with the money you have. You will still want better. The cannabis is always greener in the other persons grow room or something like that...

2RedEyes, Exactly. There is a saying. "If you buy cheap crap, sometimes that is exactly what you get, cheap crap." I do not mind spending money if I understand why I am spending it.

OK here is my buy list.

Tent: Finnhomy Grow Tent 24" x 48" x 60" $65.99
Light: Mars Hrdyo SP 150 LED grow light; $139.99
Fan: Vivosun Air Filtration Kit; $94.88

Total: $329.26
and it'll all be delivered by Thursday :)

Thanks everyone for your help.I can't wait to get started. I am sure I will have a million question to ask. Especially the fun ones like seeds; which, where, how much? But that's for another day I will be in touch.

But do a whole lotta reading round here before you wet those expensive seeds...best not rush this as it’s a long ride...

Depends on the light you decide on. If your lights footprint is big and wide the 3x3 would be best. If you get a light like the mars sp250 then you want the 2x4.

Hey guys, I was re-reading the specs for the Mar Hydro SP lights and I think I got the wrong one. I ordered the SP 150 but on their web site they say this light is for a 1.5' x 3' space. My tent is 2' x 4'. Should I have ordered the SP 250 instead?

My order has already gone through, but I could return it for free if I need too.

The 250 is quite a bit more expensive than the 150. PAR is a pretty important spec. It is a measure of light available to the plant to perform photosynthesis. The 250 has a PAR of 490. The 150 is 275. So yes the 250 would be better. Mars also has a white light LED that is $144 with a PAR of 550(though it looks like it would be better used in s 3x3 tent). It is all a trade off. I grew some of the best bud I had ever had(up until that point in my life) growing with t5 bulbs and though I don’t know the PAR measurement of that fixture, I am sure it was much less than the 150 you purchased. If you have the extra $100, buy the 250. If not use the 150. If you get bit by the grow bug many of us have, you will be buying better equipment at some point...

LOL--now that that is done, you get to move on to picking seeds, growing medium, pots, and nutrients. This stuff is as important as your light and ventilation.

If you can afford it, I would definitely get the 250 light. You might want to see if you can get ahold of them and cancel the order for the 150 and make an order for the 250, rather than return it after the fact (such a PITA to return things). I really think you will be disappointed in the performance of the 150 in a 2 x 4 space.

If you can afford it, I would definitely get the 250 light. You might want to see if you can get ahold of them and cancel the order for the 150 and make an order for the 250, rather than return it after the fact (such a PITA to return things). I really think you will be disappointed in the performance of the 150 in a 2 x 4 space.

I actually woke up this morning thinking the same thing. I tried to cancel my order but it had already shipped. But one of the nice things about Amazon Prime is I get free returns no questions asked. As long as the item is in new condition. In this case i wont even open the box. I'll just slap a shipping label on it and drop it off at UPS. I went ahead and ordered the SP-250. I just didn't want to have the most important item I get be an inferior product for my build. I'd end up regretting it and end up wasting money when I break down and buy the right light later on.

Latest posts

Back