Computer Problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other than gaming and maybe video editing there's not much home users do these days that requires more than a cheap machine. A couple of monitors and a $300 mini PC is about all most people need. It's what I do much of my engineering work on, actually.
But, but, but, having the newest, fastest, flashiest rig with blue LED’s illuminating multiple cooling fans to use a word processor makes the cool kids cooler…

I have built gaming machines. They use the best video cards and fastest processors they can find and of course a good Motherboard that excepts a lot of memory.
Some are even liquid cooled.

i agree,but i did it on a keyboard.

if you game,that's one thing,but for most a laptop or mini pc is fast enough.
i overclocked my 733 p3 to 1000mhz..
does anyone do that now?or use cooling.

Last edited:
I built a gaming machine with my kid about 10 years ago as a father/son project. I was working at an Intel plant at the time and they gave some of the techs their latest and greatest CPU that they were making there at the time so it has sentimental value to him now but a year or two later, it was underpowered…

i agree,but i did it on on a keyboard.

For the stuff I do at work we just add machines or cores when we need more CPU power. Used to run an AI on Azure that added CUDA servers on the fly as CPU load increased.

i agree,but i did it on a keyboard.

I haven't heard of anyone doing that in yrs. I overclocked my 933 to 1050 and added an extra fan but that was back in 1998.
Processors run so fast now they don't have to do that anymore would be my guess.
Everything changes so fast now it's hard to keep up with. Memory sticks, Motherboards and processors have changed a lot in the last 25yrs.

1680095796890.png

I haven't heard of anyone doing that in yrs. I overclocked my 933 to 1050 and added an extra fan but that was back in 1998.
Processors run so fast now they don't have to do that anymore would be my guess.
Everything changes so fast now it's hard to keep up with. Memory sticks, Motherboards and processors have changed a lot in the last 25yrs.
A lot of systems leverage CPU frequency scaling to increase frequency when CPU load increases. They support higher tempory frequencies than overclocking, because it can be scaled back down when cooling becomes a problem.

Wished I knew about PCs. I was going to look it up on the net but, I want to know if you can get rid of a virus on your computer? I have to bring my computer in for a check up cause I think it's got a virus. And, if the PC has a virus does that mean they have to replace a part or just press keys to get rid of the virus?🤔

No parts will be replaced if it's a virus. They will use a antivirus program to remove it in safe mode. There are good Antivirus programs out there you can download but the good ones are not always free.

Wished I knew about PCs. I was going to look it up on the net but, I want to know if you can get rid of a virus on your computer? I have to bring my computer in for a check up cause I think it's got a virus. And, if the PC has a virus does that mean they have to replace a part or just press keys to get rid of the virus?🤔
Crash posted a link to his Dropbox earlier on this thread for a malwarebytes download. If you can access that thru the link, you should try that before bringing it into pay someone to look at it. If you can download it from there, you almost certainly have a virus as they can block access to anti-virus websites. It has happened to me.

Here is the post:
Post in thread 'Computer Problems'
Computer Problems

If the virus has you blocked from downloading a Antivirus program you will have to log into safe mode to download and run the program to clean your computer.

just don't download it. 😉

if i knew anything about VD,i would hop on your computer to see what's up.
i should ask my brother about VD.

Ness have you tried to do a system restore point to a date before this happened? System restore can safe your ass in situations like this.
I always tell ppl that when their computer is running smoothly to do a Restore point where you can backup to that date if you have a problem.

Crash posted a link to his Dropbox earlier on this thread for a malwarebytes download. If you can access that thru the link, you should try that before bringing it into pay someone to look at it. If you can download it from there, you almost certainly have a virus as they can block access to anti-virus websites. It has happened to me.

Here is the post:
Post in thread 'Computer Problems'
Computer Problems
Thank you fogey but my computer will not download and programs I tried. I uninstalled Avast and now I can't download.

just don't download it. 😉

if i knew anything about VD,i would hop on your computer to see what's up.
i should ask my brother about VD.

That's alright zodiac I'll be OK. Thank you.

Latest posts

Back