Condensation Issues...little help?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benamucc

is NORML
Reaction score
Sigh...

I've been stirring the global buckets as a daily "something" to do in the locker. I'm running temps at 53 min and 72 max, since I've got the blueberries, and would like to see some color.

The ceiling of the locker has a 4" fan with my DIY carbon filter. Passive intake at the bottom of the locker. Fan runs 24/7.

When I opened the locker the bottom of the locker was soaked with standing water, and the walls up to about the top of the buckets. The ceiling of the locker, which is seperated by 3 shelves, but have enough (I think) gaps between the doors, and the front of the shelves to allow adequate air flow from bottom to top.

What do you all think?

You have too much humidity in the cool air you are bringing in the grow area and when it hits and mixes with the warmer air in the grow area the moisture is condencing. You might be able to put a furnance filter over the air intake and slow the air enough to stop the condensation

ozzydiodude said:
You have too much humidity in the cool air you are bringing in the grow area and when it hits and mixes with the warmer air in the grow area the moisture is condencing. You might be able to put a furnance filter over the air intake and slow the air enough to stop the condensation
you could also maybe place a de-humidifier in your grow room... IDK, definitely want to figure something out before they start flowering really well, bud rot will set in quickly under high humidity!

what about that stuff called..."Dries Air"...its white pebbles that absorb moister...I used them in my motor home dureing the winter storage...Good Luck benn...

Hey Ben- What's the ambient rh of your air? What's the cfm of your 4 inch fan? Is it enough to replace the air in your locker at least once every 4 minutes? If your rh is at or below 60% to 70% or so and your turning your air at least once every 4 minutes (based on fan rating), could be either what you got going on in the box or the passive intake is not allowing enough air flow into the box. If it's an intake issue, maybe you need a 4 inch hole at the bottom of the locker as opposed to relying on the space between the doors. Might even need to pop a few holes in the shelves to help with air movement inside the locker.

As far as inside the box- I've never used the global buckets system but I have been reading up on them and may run some veggies outside this year to learn more (too busy indoors playing with smart pots right now). But why, and how, can you stir the global buckets? My understanding is that the buckets are essentially a sealed system? Are they getting too much water and running out the over-flow holes, creating a wet environment inside the locker?

Good luck with it- hope you work it out.
-BBFan

Thanks kiddos!!

I don't have room for a dehumidifier, since it's just an old storage locker.

I'm going to look into those dry things 4u2 mentioned!

I have a 3 1/2" hole on the bottom back wall of the locker, with a louvered grate over it, to prevent mices, and light shining out the bottom. Maybe I could pop that off, and put a comp fan on it to bring in more air?

I'm not sure of my RH of the intake air, but I'm going to try and warm thing up a few degrees outside of the box.

The buckets are not leaking out of the over fill holes. I've been watering them by taking the top bucket out, and setting it in a spare bucket. Then I fill the bottom bucket with water or nutes, and daily give it a good stirring, as the FF stuff L-O-V-E-S to sink to the bottom after 2 days. The plants love the buckets, and REALLY love it when I stir the water!! WHOOAAA!!!

I'll put up some more pics, but I'll have to do it later. It's 6p-6a right now and "someone" slept in.

Off to deal with my water issues at the shire...

THANKS AGAIN ALL! I owe you all breakfast! How's the local organic eggs, bacon and girlfriends fresh OJ sound? I'll make the coffee, and hash browns. Just let me know if you want cheese or onion and peppers in em!!

I'm with Ozzy.

I don't think bringing in more air is going to alleviate the problem--it may actually make it worse. Air flow is not the problem. The air you are bringing in has too much moisture in it. The only real way to deal with it is to remove the moisture.

benamucc said:
Thanks kiddos!!

I don't have room for a dehumidifier, since it's just an old storage locker.

I'm going to look into those dry things 4u2 mentioned!

I have a 3 1/2" hole on the bottom back wall of the locker, with a louvered grate over it, to prevent mices, and light shining out the bottom. Maybe I could pop that off, and put a comp fan on it to bring in more air?

I'm not sure of my RH of the intake air, but I'm going to try and warm thing up a few degrees outside of the box.

The buckets are not leaking out of the over fill holes. I've been watering them by taking the top bucket out, and setting it in a spare bucket. Then I fill the bottom bucket with water or nutes, and daily give it a good stirring, as the FF stuff L-O-V-E-S to sink to the bottom after 2 days. The plants love the buckets, and REALLY love it when I stir the water!! WHOOAAA!!!

I'll put up some more pics, but I'll have to do it later. It's 6p-6a right now and "someone" slept in.

Off to deal with my water issues at the shire...

THANKS AGAIN ALL! I owe you all breakfast! How's the local organic eggs, bacon and girlfriends fresh OJ sound? I'll make the coffee, and hash browns. Just let me know if you want cheese or onion and peppers in em!!
perhaps a dehumidifier right outside of the locker would work... Is it an insulated locker? May be causing the issue with the introduction of cooler air into the warm growroom... Dehumidify right outside of the door and run the outlet from the dehumidifuier into your passive intake... Just a thought! And umm.... breakfast sounds great! Add some mushrooms and jalapeños and we'll be set to go!@ Maybe cover it all in chili!?:confused:

4u2sm0ke said:
what about that stuff called..."Dries Air"...its white pebbles that absorb moister...I used them in my motor home dureing the winter storage...Good Luck benn...
this can be purchased called desiccant also... A bit cheaper than the name brand "dries air"

The Hemp Goddess said:
I'm with Ozzy.

I don't think bringing in more air is going to alleviate the problem--it may actually make it worse. Air flow is not the problem. The air you are bringing in has too much moisture in it. The only real way to deal with it is to remove the moisture.

That or the buckets are causing high humidity within the locker, being metal and in a colder room its causing it to condensate on the walls.

Airflow in this case would help if it prevented the build up of humidity within the locker.

Looking back at your thread about the locker this is what I think is your problem.
Trying to vent that locker with a computer fan and a passive intake wont cut it.

How about lining your locker with rigid foam insulation. This is what they do with toilet tanks that have a lot of condensation and it takes care of the problem.

Thanks for all the thoughts. I'll see what the RH is in the area outside of the box after raising the temp to 55 this morning. I'm going to let the light come on first and warm things up to see if the condensation is there again.

Right now it's a 36" x 18" x 78" = 29.25 cuft and I have a 4" 80CFM exhaust fan on the mini-carbon filter I built. So even if it's HALF, I'm pulling 40CFM, and that should be enough exhausT. So i'll throw the comp fan on the intake to add even more flow? Think I'll also remove another shelf.

I like the insulation idea, but current setup with the buckets is maxed out to the inch, so unfortunately I have to try more air flow for the time being.

I'm not sure I can throw a dehumidifier at it yet since the point of the locker is to be stealth in it's current location. (The ballast buzz from the flouro's outside the locker completely cover any noise it makes)

Anyway...thanks again. I'll update in a little while.

I think he needs to raise his temps. 53 seems WAAAY low to me, even for 12 off. Raise the temps and the whole problem goes away. Why run the risk of bud/plant rot for a bit of blue color? Just my opinion.

Also keep in mind warmer air will "hold" more moisture than cooler air. When the temp drops 19* the moisture has to go somewhere.

Yes...the temperature increase DID help some, but still had a little moisture inside. I'll crank it up a few more degrees today, and see what happens tonight.

THanks again all. I really do appreciate it. And you are also correct that it's not worth it for a little color, but it's also a matter of saving on heating costs. Guess my grams per watt cost just went up ;)

I'll update again, once it's all taken care of.

Latest posts

Back