Confused about temps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trojan46312

Reaction score
I've read on here and other places that the room temp should be around 75 for growing. My question is:

Is that what the temperature should be under the light or the ambient temperature. The temp under the lights is a bit higher...maybe 8 degrees or so. Which one should I go by?

I go by the temp at the canopy under the light. My temp stays around 80 but the temp at the bottom of my tent is prob more like 75. The plant will tell you when it is too hot by curling up all the little blade tips on the leaves. Some strains can take higher temps better than others. One strain Im growing right now does not like the 80 degree temps.

maineharvest said:
I go by the temp at the canopy under the light. My temp stays around 80 but the temp at the bottom of my tent is prob more like 75. The plant will tell you when it is too hot by curling up all the little blade tips on the leaves. Some strains can take higher temps better than others. One strain Im growing right now does not like the 80 degree temps.

Ok. Thanks alot! I've noticed the temps are much easier to control with an aircooled reflector. I scorched my ice plants and the hermied on me.

maineharvest said:

Wow! My plants seem to like the hotter temps they get in my room. Above the lights it is a steady 90F. My canopy is about 16 inches from the lights (600s with just fans blowing on them) the canopy is pretty hot 100f. My snowcap and sour-d seem to love it though covered in trichs.

I thought that when the tips pointed down they are heat stressed!? it is when they point up? then what does it mean when just the tips point down? My sour-d seems to like the heat and always be reaching for God. But my snowcap does the point down thing and then if I move them to the side a little a couple days later the tips will be straight again.

I must be really pushing it with my temps? It has been working though! :D Ohh I understand what you mean now Ive seen that but mine never do that and it is hot, so they can take it pretty warm I guess. My canopy stays about 16 inches from my lights, if the reflectors were air cooled about how close could I get them? 600s hps, just curious thanks

Air cooled, you can get them about 6-8 inches away. any closer I heard the foliage won't burn but they will bleach from some kind of light rays the hps produce. The air cooled reflector is good especially on hot summer days.

Trojan46312 said:
Air cooled, you can get them about 6-8 inches away. any closer I heard the foliage won't burn but they will bleach from some kind of light rays the hps produce. The air cooled reflector is good especially on hot summer days.

Hmm I wonder if that would really make any difference in the long run?

IME some plant strains do better in higher temps than others but that may also be because the water is cooler and is offsetting it some plus if yu are moving the air alot that helps as well. I try to never let mine get above 80f if I can help it. Having air cooled lights absolutely helps. to see if it is too hot just place yer hand over the top of the highest plant directly under the light. if it feels a bit hot to the back of yer hand then it is too hot for the plant and needs to be raised. I use an air conditioner in my grow lab to help maintain about 75f in the room which gives me about 80ish under the lights, and my girls are quite happy. I have found that if the plants are drinking a lot of water under higher temps in comparison to cooler temps then they are starting to heat stress and will like a lower temp. even though they may look ok at that particular temp, if they are sucking up water then they are transpiring (sweating) hard to fight the heat. IMO:)

Hushpuppy said:
IME some plant strains do better in higher temps than others but that may also be because the water is cooler and is offsetting it some plus if yu are moving the air alot that helps as well. I try to never let mine get above 80f if I can help it. Having air cooled lights absolutely helps. to see if it is too hot just place yer hand over the top of the highest plant directly under the light. if it feels a bit hot to the back of yer hand then it is too hot for the plant and needs to be raised. I use an air conditioner in my grow lab to help maintain about 75f in the room which gives me about 80ish under the lights, and my girls are quite happy. I have found that if the plants are drinking a lot of water under higher temps in comparison to cooler temps then they are starting to heat stress and will like a lower temp. even though they may look ok at that particular temp, if they are sucking up water then they are transpiring (sweating) hard to fight the heat. IMO:)

Hey thanks! That was good info as my plants do drink alot and when my hand is under the light I think it is hot enough to get a tan lol. The Plants do well though but Ive been seeing small signs of heat stress. I must have one foot on each side the fence. I guess I'll try another fan and see if that helps.

Yeah I use the 600hps and they really pump out the heat. If it is feeling too warm to yer hand I would lift the lights just a few inches. While in veg I have mine as close as possible and litterally have to raise them daily as the girls grow. If yu want to see how mine are goto the thread "Hey Hemp Goddess.." under "hydroponics thread"

Latest posts

Back