Contact relay switch with 250W HPS lamp and timer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ActivatedAlmonds52

Reaction score
I've read this:

https://www.marijuanapassion.com/threads/growfaq-electrical-section.1965/
You could go to your local Hydro shop and buy a contactor all built and ready to go along with a hefty price tag. Or you can get yourself a suitable change over Contact Relay switch, this will only set you back a few $$ ££. A contact relay switch is required so that the timer turns on the contactor which then turns the light on. Household timers are rated for a RESISTIVE load, ballasts present an INDUCTIVE load, (a very large surge at switch on) this fuses the timer contacts together = Timer failure.

So the takeway is that I need a contact relay switch to avoid frying my lamp timer. Three questions:

- do they all look like this (box with outlets and a plug)?

- should I connect everything like this? Wall outlet -> power strip -> timer -> contact relay switch (or timer WITH C.R.S., like in the picture above) -> 250W ballast

- I live in Europe. My breakers are rated 20A, 230/400V. I guess this should be good enough, but can anyone recommend a CRS that's good for a 250W HPS and not 6x600W? I sure as hell don't need that much power.

Are they still using inductive ballasts with HPS lights? I haven't looked, but I would expect to see more efficient electronic or digital ballasts today. Those should work with the same cheap timers everyone uses with LED lights.

Why dont you use a comericial time clock 220 volt .They can handle a load .How many lites are you running?
Agree
I have used these for many years , never a missed light time on or off.
1668695670633.png

A 'whatever' 220v timer will sure do the job, if you are on 250W . I = P/U . I = 250/220 = 1.2A it is way less than a 20A fuse.
There is a power peak on consumption when the HPS light switches on, but no prob for any nowadays timer. Some cheap will die after 1/2 years, some will never die. I'd say.
Usually a 'mecanical' 220v timer can hold 16A wich is equal to up to 3520W (you can practice with the formula P = U x I to better understand the link between I (intensity in amp) and P (power in watt) with U at 220V).

As a electrician i used intermattic time clocks at 110 and 220 volt applications .
they are rated for 40 amps .
With multilabel lites we used multilabel time clocks that came on with 5 minutes of each other

Are they still using inductive ballasts with HPS lights? I haven't looked, but I would expect to see more efficient electronic or digital ballasts today. Those should work with the same cheap timers everyone uses with LED lights.

The thread I quoted is pretty old, so maybe I don't need a contact relay switch?

I should've been more specific. I'm thinking of getting this one:

https://lumatek-lighting.com/lumatek-250w-240v-digital-ballast/
I only want to use a single 250W lamp.

The link you gave is for an electronic ballast. And it looks nice. Maybe we misunderstood your question?
You need a ballast - which is mainly a condensator for your HPS/MH to be able to light up the gaz within the bulb - and you need a timer to switch on/off your light automatically.
So your pretty right, the path should be : Wall outlet -> power strip -> timer -> 250W ballast
As we all say, choose a simple 220v timer, it is cheap and good. example: Grow1 240V Single Outlet Mechanical Timer
Do not forget to add fan(s), depending on your night temperatures it could be Wall outlet -> timer -> power strip -> 250W ballast + day fan(s)

Yes they have digital ones. Many are cheapo Chinese units, some high quality. The older ones are still around, I have a modern one, weighs like an anchor and gets hot enough I put a small fan on it. Also have modern digital versions, get a good one.

Bubba

Thanks for the replies, guys. It seems that I simply used an outdated source of information as reference.

I'm really glad I won't have to get another part for my setup and worry about frying anything!

Why dont you use a comericial time clock 220 volt .They can handle a load .How many lites are you running?
I never thought of that. Its just a timer, so 220 volt version would work for 120, only difference is, its a heavier made unit, right? No circuit in a timer that requires 220 volt so why not? Just never occurred to me.

Bubba

Latest posts

Back