Container/box design for wet environment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juroy

Reaction score
I'm looking for ideas/feedback for this years grow.

I've grown indoors before, but it is not possible this year.

I've got a pretty good spot outside, with plenty of light. However, it happens to be in the middle of a field tht's prone to flooding.

Let's say that maybe half the time, it's dry, the other half there is between 1-4 inches of water on the ground. Not running water (no stream), not absolutely stale, muddy, swampy waters.

I was wondering which one of these two box design I should go for (about 4-5 plants per box).

Either I jack it up by 6 inches, or I let it stay in the water. The box is about 24 inches high, I doubt the water would be sucked up so much by the soil.

Maybe having it be in the water would ask for less watering. I wouldn't drill holes in the bottom half of the box as to not lose my soil.

But I'm not sure if it wouldn't rot the bottom roots.

What do you guys think?

Info : growing indica photoperiod, about 45th parallel, black soil + perlite + compost.

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    240 KB · Views: 5
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    249.8 KB · Views: 5
I would be very leery of root Rot from being wet all the time and no chance for them to ever Dry.
You are not growing Rice.

I would be very leery of root Rot from being wet all the time and no chance for them to ever Dry.
You are not growing Rice.
You are confident that the height of the box and the holes on the side wouldn't be enough to let most of the soil stay dry? Thanks for your feedback, appreciate it !

If the roots reach down into the water lvl and sit in it they will rot without Oxygen (ie; airstone in hydro)
Have to try it to see , do a side by side experiment with two diff/boxes maybe

If your roots are going to set in water you either need an Air Stone or the water needs to be constantly moving to keep oxygen on the roots are they will drown.

Do a Google search for Swamp Tube Growing Tons of good info

You could also look into a few plastic utility sinks (without the hardware), cover the drain hole with screen before filling it with soil, and roll with something like that. I see home depot has a 20 gal sink for $40USD, for example. I like this because the sink legs mean you don't need to squat down and/or pick up the pot when watering, pruning, training, etc.

Edit: ah, I just noticed that you said you were growing photos, so having the root zone at waist level may not be ideal since then you may need a ladder for training, etc.

Latest posts

Back