Container Size

Discussion in 'Auto Flowering' started by Themug, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Feb 18, 2019 #1

Themug

Themug

Themug

I'll be growing a few autos this summer outside in containers. I've grown some in the ground before but never in containers. From what I've read so far most people grow them in 3 or 5 gallon containers. My first thought is to grow them in 10 gallon containers. I'm thinking an average 2 foot plant will fill out that sized pot in the course of its life. Am I being silly, crazy, over the top, wasteful and unnecessary or not? What size containers does everyone on here use???

2. Feb 18, 2019 #2

St_Nick

St_Nick

St_Nick

Two_Toke

Autos seem to have a smaller root structure. I think 5 gallon is more than sufficient

Aksarben, 2RedEyes and STIGGY like this.
  3. Mar 3, 2019 #3

Aksarben

Aksarben

Aksarben

I was just going to ask this, but did a look before. I have some autoflower seeds coming and plant to grow them the majority outdoors, so wondering if 5 gallon "fabric" pots would work or if I could get by with 3 gall fabric for the smaller stature auto flower varieties?

Also If you are growing inside what is the minimum in either gallons or cubic ft. of soil is needed?

4. Mar 3, 2019 #4

2RedEyes

2RedEyes

2RedEyes

Something clever...

Retired
    In my experience, autos go so fast that the pot can be a little smaller than what you might use in photo period strains...I’ve grown autos in both 3 and 5 gallon pots...might get a bit more size from larger but not by much...
    If I’m growing outside, I’m growing autos...much faster but less yield as they just don’t get that big...

mrcane and Aksarben like this.
  5. Mar 3, 2019 #5

Hamster Lewis

Hamster Lewis

Hamster Lewis

Furry Moderator Staff Member Admin Moderator

I actually don't grow in anything bigger than a 1-gallon pot. I just finished 2 girls in 1/2 gallon pots. The biggest convenience I see for using larger pots is having to water less often. I have done a couple grows from start to finish in Solo cups. Pain in the butt to water them so often.

Aksarben likes this.
  6. Mar 3, 2019 #6

2RedEyes

2RedEyes

2RedEyes

Something clever...

Retired
    Small containers are great for indoor plant size...for outdoor autos, I like 3 gallon cloth...

drcree, Aksarben and Hamster Lewis like this.
  7. Mar 5, 2019 #7

drcree

drcree

drcree

retired pg
    3s and 5 gallons are both great. i found the 5s worked incredibly well for my last grow. someone on the forum told me, "...use the 5 gallon fabrics. your plants will love you for it." they did and grew like bean stalks

Aksarben and 2RedEyes like this.