Cook along with Stinky: Jamaican style coconut curry chicken

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stinkyattic

her dankness
Reaction score
So, this is not a recipe to get you baked. Only the chicken gets baked. The rest is up to you!
This dish is easier than it sounds and comes out awesome. You can make it as mild or as spicy as you like!
Start by partially thawing a family pack of chicken drums or thighs. Bone in skin on.
Find a stovetop safe baking dish that will hold all your meat in a single layer. Melt enough coconut oil or butter to just cover the bottom of the pan.
Chop one onion, one shallot, and smash but don't chop 2 cloves of garlic. Put all this in the pan also with 10 whole dried allspice berries. Put on very low heat and gently cook, stirring often, until everything is soft and just starting to take on a little color. This will take a while.
20200327_162823.jpg

Meanwhile, cook the chicken. Lightly sprinkle one side with some spices. Start with a light dusting of yellow British curry powder, black pepper, paprika, and something spicy. I used sriracha black pepper seasoning and Korean chili powder which isn't that hot.
Fry the pieces, still frozen in the middle, a few at a time in a heavy skillet until the skin crisps, and set aside.
20200327_164145.jpg
20200327_165035.jpg

By now, the onion mixture should be starting to smell really effing lovely!
Time to spice the onions, too. The correct amount of everything is, again, a light dusting across the whole surface. This way, the flavor is creamy and subtle. If you want it more highly spiced, dust more heavily.
Here are the spices I put in mine:
Curry, smoked paprika, black pepper sriracha seasoning, habanero smoked salt, allspice, chili. If you like it more authentically hot, throw a couple whole scotch bonnets in there at this step. This is also the point to add a big handful of dried carrots. If using fresh, wait until the next step.
Fry until the fragrance of the spices becomes more noticeable, but do not allow to scorch.
20200327_165157.jpg
20200327_165257.jpg

Add a can of full fat coconut milk (not coco Lopez lol!). Whisk to break up any chunky stuff in the coconut milk.

Now, take your fried chicken and set it into the coconut onion mixture. The liquid should not cover the meat.
20200327_170219.jpg

If there's a little oil left from frying the chicken, you can drizzle it on top. Sprinkle lightly with just a little thyme, and a bit of salt.
Put in the oven on the bottom rack, not covered, but shielded from direct heat. I just used a cookie sheet on the upper shelf.
20200327_170547.jpg

Go smoke a bowl and work up some killer munchies.
20200327_173755.jpg

This is also a good time to make some rice.
Bake at 350 for about a half hour, then turn the heat down to 300 and keep baking until the chicken juices run clear and the meat starts to pull back from exposed bones.

Why start with half frozen chicken? Simple! So it doesn't overcook and get stringy before it even makes it into the oven! The point is to get a browned skin and also juicy meat that falls off the bone, which is accomplished during the long slow bake sitting in the sauce.
If you use skinless, skip the frying step and oil the chicken on all sides before setting it in the sauce.

Excellent job...spicy creamy delight!...Economical and full of flavonoid rich spices...which the healthful healing benefits are often over looked...I think the ancient cultures hit on it...spices traded with about the same value as gold. Just what all us home confined folks need to perk us up...thanks SA!

I ordered dried Kaffir lime leaves, and galanga root from amazing last month. Man am i enjoying those. The lime upped my game, but Stinkey is a better cook, I think, plus I am sick of cooking. In my next marriage i am going to...never mind, he is worth it.

Yes indeed...healing food is just plain fun and tasty...Let not forget our hydration...water is best...unfortunately that is not what most of us drink. I chase my 2 main meals with 8oz of water...1 TBS apple cider vinegar...1 to 1.5 oz of locally produced honey...this will aid your body in detoxing and keeping your GI tract healthy.

I made some Fire Cider last year and have a hard time choking it down but with things the way they are, it may be time to root around in the fridge and take a couple shots. Organic cider vinegar, turmeric, ginger, garlic, and chili. Not the least disgusting thing ever... but yeah the benefits are umdeniable.

Latest posts

Back