Cooking Moldy marijuana

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

albasketball3424

I have some homegrown marijuana that was in a jar and mold started to grow on it. I caught it early but it was noticable when held up against a light. Most of it was easily taken off with my fingers. I want to know if you think its a good idea to bake some bownies with it?

eek, What color is the mold? White? If its black then get rid of it. Black mold is bad to even be around let alone consume. I have eaten moldy bread plenty of times, the thing is that most mold is actually very harmless for your health as long as your not subject to living in it. Mold is a very sterile fungus in reality. Some mold is deadly some isnt. Smoking or eating it is more or less unpleasurable than dangerous. Im pretty sure it comes down to what it feeds off of being that it is a fungus, that determines if it can be toxic.

"Some molds cause allergic reactions and respiratory problems. And a few molds, in the right conditions, produce "mycotoxins," poisonous substances that can make you sick."
hXXp://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/molds_on_food/index.asp

it has a few very small amounts of white mold on the stem and on some bud nothing actually completely coved.

You might be fine then. I know when people discuss mold in reference to MJ its always deviled. This is due to mold causing the smoke or orther perks about MJ to be diminished.

Im not sure but it could also cause the bud to lose potentcy as Im sure mold loves THC just like we do. If you got some mold but not alot, maybe stick in a close box with a small tub of damp rid from the camping section, and let it dry back out, first try to wipe off as much visible mold. This should at least make the mold stop growing, as long as you dont put it right back into the saem conditions. Is there light getting into your jar? Mold doesnt like light, it wants dark and moist. The inside of a jar of buds has plenty o moisture, just dont give it the dark part and you should be good.

AlkaloidContent said:
You might be fine then. I know when people discuss mold in reference to MJ its always deviled. This is due to mold causing the smoke or orther perks about MJ to be diminished.

Im not sure but it could also cause the bud to lose potentcy as Im sure mold loves THC just like we do. If you got some mold but not alot, maybe stick in a close box with a small tub of damp rid from the camping section, and let it dry back out, first try to wipe off as much visible mold. This should at least make the mold stop growing, as long as you dont put it right back into the saem conditions. Is there light getting into your jar? Mold doesnt like light, it wants dark and moist. The inside of a jar of buds has plenty o moisture, just dont give it the dark part and you should be good.

:holysheep: Thats crazy.... read your first 2 words... W O W I would not risk ingesting it in any way....

JAAM your right it isnt the greatest idea to ingest a fungus. However did you go to the link and take a look at what the FDA says? I mean it is the Food and Drug Administration.

Or did you just read my post and reply.

This link however doesnt apply to smoking so dont take it as so in case your not able to make the connection.

Also he is saying that he has some mold spots. Not a bud molded over.

Its all in the eyes of the beholder I guess.

dont eat it budy no chance!!

alka why you eating moldy bred m8 ??thats funny stuff:rofl:

sorry to say best place for that bud is the bin freind...dont risck it for a biscut!!...peace[j]

risk it for a biscuit, lmfao, look at the end of the day whether or not you consume this fungus is up to you. Just stating the FACTS and giving some EVIDENCE.

Don't do it, when it comes to molds and fungi you don't want to play around.

Fact: Molds love warm, dark, and moist environments.
Fact: Your body is a warm, dark, and moist environment.

In the aftermath of the Joplin tornado, some people injured in the storm developed a rare and sometimes fatal fungal infection so aggressive that it turned their tissue black and caused mold to grow inside their wounds.

Aside from this bizarre case(s) in Joplin, molds and fungi can grow everywhere on your body from your skin (athletes foot, ringworm) to inside your lungs. It is also possible that if you don't take care of your athletes foot, it will eventually enter your blood stream and pop up in places all over your body before infecting your brain and killing you.

IMO for your safety (and others) throw the bud out and sterilize the jar by setting it in bleach/water solution (1/100) for a few minutes.

It sucks having to toss the bud, but turn it into a learning experience of how not to cure your bud. If mold is growing on the bud in a jar, the bud in the jar is to moist.

AlkaloidContent said:
risk it for a biscuit, lmfao, look at the end of the day whether or not you consume this fungus is up to you. Just stating the FACTS and giving some EVIDENCE.

You eat this bro?
moldy_bread.jpg

Isn't there something with Moldy rye bread and ergot alkaloids?

I found this story online...I wld not eat moldy bread:

"Today was quite possibly one of the stupidest days in my entire existence. All of it my fault. It began last night. My dear friend ]Susan[/URL] had just returned from a long cruise and wanted to go out to dinner with me to catch up. I declined in favor of finishing up some freelance. Big mistake. The freelance went fine. It was what I did for a meal that did me in.

I needed something quick to eat, so I hastily threw together a sandwich. I noticed that the rye bread had some blue mold on the edges. Being a typical guy, I ripped off the edges and ate it anyways. This is known as A Very Bad Thing To Do.

Know anything about moldy rye bread? Back in the Middle Ages it was responsible for several outbreaks of religious visions known as St. Anthony’s Fire[/URL]. Mold on rye bread becomes ergot - homemade LSD. I woke up at 3 am vomiting on my chest. Nice. A good start to the day. Enough about that.

When I finally fell asleep I had a bizarre dream. I was building an interface in Flash. Every button turned into a large sunflower seed and oozed out of the monitor onto my desk. I started screaming that someone had obviously sabotaged my computer. I also noticed that the sliders I created on this interface weren’t behaving. Rather than changing pages they changed the weather outside. "

LMAO no ham I dont eat a completely covered in mold slice a schmidt. If a slice of bread has mold on it though I dont freak out and call the poison control center either.

C'mon guys really?

For comparison sake in finding out how much mold is on the buds. I said he COULD consume it, it MAY not do any harm at all, it CAN be dangerous, if it is A BLACK mold, which Zygomycosis (joplin outbreak) deff is, DO NOT consume it. BUT DONT LISTEN TO ME GO TO FDA WEBSITE AND LISTEN TO WHAT SCIENTISTS SAY. Uh?

Since when does simple here say political name that?

AlkaloidContent said:
I said he COULD consume it, it MAY not do any harm at all, it CAN be dangerous ...

This right here is what rubs me the wrong way AlkC. I have nothing personal against you, don't want to start anything, but I feel as if I need to point this out.

The biggest issue that I am irked by is the nonchalant attitude towards someones personal safety. You don't know 100% what type of mold he is dealing with. He only gave you a color description without a picture. Not a microscopic photo of the organism with scientific classification.

You give a stranger advice to eat mold with the warnings of "could, may, can". All those words were carefully chosen so that if something 'did' happen you could say I warned you.

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT SOMEONES PERSONAL HEALTH AND WELLBEING.

Giving advice that 'might' harm and 'possibly' kill the individual on an uniformed opinion is just plain bad advice and IMO should NEVER be given out.

Hamster Lewis said:
You eat this bro?
moldy_bread.jpg

Isn't there something with Moldy rye bread and ergot alkaloids?

I found this story online...I wld not eat moldy bread:

"Today was quite possibly one of the stupidest days in my entire existence. All of it my fault. It began last night. My dear friend Susan had just returned from a long cruise and wanted to go out to dinner with me to catch up. I declined in favor of finishing up some freelance. Big mistake. The freelance went fine. It was what I did for a meal that did me in.

I needed something quick to eat, so I hastily threw together a sandwich. I noticed that the rye bread had some blue mold on the edges. Being a typical guy, I ripped off the edges and ate it anyways. This is known as A Very Bad Thing To Do.

Know anything about moldy rye bread? Back in the Middle Ages it was responsible for several outbreaks of religious visions known as St. Anthony’s Fire. Mold on rye bread becomes ergot - homemade LSD. I woke up at 3 am vomiting on my chest. Nice. A good start to the day. Enough about that.

When I finally fell asleep I had a bizarre dream. I was building an interface in Flash. Every button turned into a large sunflower seed and oozed out of the monitor onto my desk. I started screaming that someone had obviously sabotaged my computer. I also noticed that the sliders I created on this interface weren’t behaving. Rather than changing pages they changed the weather outside. "

Come on fess up HL, that was you tripping on moldy bread wasnt it.

:rofl::rofl:

Well I should prob go on record saying that while I have dabbled in Ergolines to answer your question Ham. This report, wherever it came from, is actually just funny.

First off Ergot is a mold of rye yes, it does have alot to do with LSD. I wont go into detail since this isnt the place for it. But Ergot is not LSD in the slightest bit. Ergot is a psychoactive fungus, as are Amanitas. Amanitas are not Shrooms for the simple fact that they dont have the same Alkaloids. But they both provide a reaction in your body. AN ALLERGIC REACTION. All allergic means is hypersensitive. What you have to understand is all bodily funtions are a result of an allergic reaction within the body. Between chemicals that you and I dont even know exist (at least not all of them). It comes down to what fungus are you eating. If your eating a fungus that grows on rye then your dumb for eating the fungus that grows on rye. MJ would not produce Ergot so it doesnt really link up.

It does however prove that you never know for sure what fungus you are eating so its always wise not to get into it. UNLESS you do the wise thing and ask people about it, learn, do research, in a couple hours he could have made a decision for himself.

Also note: I have eating moldy rye bread a couple of times and at most it made me sleepy. Maybe more dreaming but nothing hellishly scary. Hangover the next day.

Erbal said:
This right here is what rubs me the wrong way AlkC. I have nothing personal against you, don't want to start anything, but I feel as if I need to point this out.

The biggest issue that I am irked by is the nonchalant attitude towards someones personal safety. You don't know 100% what type of mold he is dealing with. He only gave you a color description without a picture. Not a microscopic photo of the organism with scientific classification.

You give a stranger advice to eat mold with the warnings of "could, may, can". All those words were carefully chosen so that if something 'did' happen you could say I warned you.

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT SOMEONES PERSONAL HEALTH AND WELLBEING.

Giving advice that 'might' harm and 'possibly' kill the individual on an uniformed opinion is just plain bad advice and IMO should NEVER be given out.

However Erbal did you go way back to the beginning of things. I simply laid out the facts and gave a link to somwhere he can get the info he needs to make his own decision. The guy prob has already made his decision and done what he wished. I never EVER recommend anybody doing anything to themselves, because I am not them. Period.

I think you just think because I am not shouting from the rooftops to wrap in a bright red biohazard bag and throw it in the incinerator that I dont care. I do. I will not however order anybody to make a specific decision. I will state MHO back up what I can with some facts, and let it be.

AlkaloidContent said:
eek, What color is the mold? White? If its black then get rid of it. Black mold is bad to even be around let alone consume. I have eaten moldy bread plenty of times, the thing is that most mold is actually very harmless for your health as long as your not subject to living in it. Mold is a very sterile fungus in reality. Some mold is deadly some isnt. Smoking or eating it is more or less unpleasurable than dangerous. Im pretty sure it comes down to what it feeds off of being that it is a fungus, that determines if it can be toxic.

"Some molds cause allergic reactions and respiratory problems. And a few molds, in the right conditions, produce "mycotoxins," poisonous substances that can make you sick."
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/molds_on_food/index.asp

The correct answer should have been and is "NO MAN, don't risk it, throw that out!" Implying that it could be safe and may not harm you isn't a good thing at all, someone might mistake that for endorsing it's safe.

Be safe, my friend!

Right I stated MY OPINION and then backed it up with facts.

"IM"...pretty sure......... But because Im not a scientist take a look at what scientists say.

Notice how this is one of the few posts I wanted to give direct to some better info, because Im sorry to tell ya. This is a MJ forum not a fungus forum so none of us know what we're talking about but it doesnt matter anymore.

It's just like the A/C question....if you're not sure, don't go off pretending you are! You are good at this, riding the fence to see what side the popular voice is heard from, then you jump off the fence. In the mean time, people asking serious questions get the run around and confused, some might even take your guessings as that of experience and act...OUCH!

Right in the stickies in the drying and curing section is a great piece on moldy dope....I think it's called "DON'T SMOKE IT" but......http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33627

As I told you in pm, I thought you were a promising upcomer in here, a helpful soul....nah, just someone wanting to be known. Be yourself and people will either like or dislike you...what do you care? Hey, I'm plain crazy, but I believe they accept that... :rofl:

Latest posts

Back