Cooking soil, how long will it stay so hot?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BudLover#69

Just a Stoned Member!
Reaction score
I tried to get an answer @ organics didn't work! lol, so I'll try it here.

:holysheep: Did I screw up bad? I have a 45gallon tub of soil mix that I recycle. Wanting to ammend it a bit, I added 3lbs bone meal, 1cu ft cow menure and a big bag of perlite.

One day later, the soil smells and is very hot to the touch!, if you dig down a little, it is really cooking/hot! I never had my soil get this hot before. Does anyone know about how long that should last? I have always used about half what I did this time and it never heated up like this. :cool: Thanks for any advise, I don't want to get more potting soil/perlite the tub is full, but I need to use the soil soon!:D Will it cook for days or weeks?

Also my crazy friend said to put a bag of brown sugar in the mix! anyone ever do this?? I have read about molases, so I was thinking he might be right, just never read anything like that??. Thanks;)

an active compost pile will get really hot. like 140-160 degrees F. its a good thing, means the pile is active and the bacteria are doing their thing. it should cool down after a few days.

to compost people that heat is a good thing and sign that mother nature is working well...

You need to use WELL ROTTED manure not fresh! You must have used fresh. It will take months before it's safe to use.

leafminer said:
You need to use WELL ROTTED manure not fresh! You must have used fresh. It will take months before it's safe to use.

:holysheep: Serious!?!,,,Mannnn.. it was just a bag of the 97 cent stuff @ home depot, Thx though man I guess I'll find out cuase soon as it cools I'm using it damm guess I'll get some bags potting soil and perlite and just mix it all a little in a couple weeks. I do at least have a few weeks before I have to repot.;)

Old_SSSC_Guy said:
an active compost pile will get really hot. like 140-160 degrees F. its a good thing, means the pile is active and the bacteria are doing their thing. it should cool down after a few days.

to compost people that heat is a good thing and sign that mother nature is working well...

Thanks, I sure hope so!:) What does sssc stand for? just curious

If it came in a bag, it was composted manure, no worries. They don't sell fresh manure, not at the stores anyway. Farms are a different story.

SSSC= Super Sativa Seed Club. Where I bought my first seeds (Williams Wonder), back in 1990 IIRC.

Brown sugar? LOL Perhaps some molasses/water for the bacteria, but it sounds like it's cooking well without it.

Wet

Thanks Wetdog,, Man I was freaking out for a min! Gotta Smoke a Fatty now! Calm my weak nerves, lol

Latest posts

Back