cooling 400W

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cleanbuds

Reaction score
I have a 3x3x7 tent with a 400W air cooled HID. So I'm currently using a 4" inline to bring in cool air on the light and can stabalize about 80 F but this is too high for me and can sometimes touch on 82 during the day.

I'm thinking of putting a 6" on the light and using the 4" for exhaust.

How many fans do I need to run to keep things cool? (77ish)

This depends on your ambient temp.
If your ambient temp is to high you may need to cool it.

I run a 4x4 tent with 1000 watt and use a 6" to pull from filter threw light out the tent.

Tangie dank uses same set up but has 4" fan blowing fresh air in.

I run a couple of 600's in a 4x4. When not running CO2 I cool the lights and exchange air with just a 6" Vortex.

What kind of fan is it--is it an inline duct booster fan or a centrifuge type fan? A 4" centrifuge fan should be plenty large for a 3 x 3 space.

However, it appears as if it is being used as an intake fan ("I'm currently using a 4" inline to bring in cool air ")? How exactly do you have it set up? Most of us do not even use intake fans, as air should be pulled from the space. Not only is this more efficient, but unless you are pulling air out unless blowing it in, you will never get negative pressure and never be able to contain odors.

Also unless your intake air is cooler, no matter what size fan you have, it will not cool the space.

I have an intake 4" directly on the HID which blows air from a window on it. So I need a hamster wheel 4" centrifuge to get real airflow? Cuz the intake doesn't seem to be blowing much air through the ducts

Air flows from left to right from an open window

View attachment image.jpg

HID stands for high intensity discharge and is a type of lighting (like fluorescent or incandescent) that includes high pressure sodium and metal halide among others. We generally do not use HID to describe the light, but identify it by the type of bulb we happen to be using at the time...either a HPS or a MH.

Air needs to be pulled through the light to cool efficiently and to create the negative pressure that you are going to need for odor control. A centrifuge fan is not a squirrel cage fan, they are different.

Latest posts

Back