Could a medical cannabis card be used in a different state than where it was issued?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Albert

Reaction score
My friend joined a job and in his job, He is into transportation. I was just wondering can he use the mmj card in a state other than the state where it got issued to him?
He is to perform his duties and will be almost in travel now from one state to another!

How this can be managed?

no

how this can be managed?

just like it has been managed for the last 75 years by bootleggers , stoners , hippies , and surfers all over the world , they all blazed the trails of cannabis freedom by breaking the unjust laws and doing whatever in the he-ll they want to do , dam the torpedos!

As different levels of cannabis legalization grow across the country, it’s important to know what you’re looking for in terms of out-of-state cannabis consumption. There are basically two levels of legalized cannabis: medical and recreational. Some states with recreational use may be willing to sell recreational cannabis to out-of-state patients with medical marijuana cards, while others may allow you to visit medical dispensaries. (Not all states have differences between medical and recreational cannabis for sale, though most have different tax rates for medicinal users versus recreational users.)

The following states currently have medical marijuana programs:

• Alaska
  • Arizona
  • Arkansas
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Connecticut
  • Delaware
  • District of Columbia
  • Florida
  • Hawaii
  • Illinois
  • Louisiana
  • Maine
  • Maryland
  • Massachusetts
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • Nevada
  • New Hampshire
  • New Jersey
  • New Mexico
  • New York
  • North Dakota
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • Oregon
  • Pennsylvania
  • Rhode Island
  • Utah
  • Vermont
  • Washington
  • Washington, D.C.
  • West Virginia
Of those states, these are the ones that currently accept out-of-state MMJ cards in some form or another:

• Arkansas
  • Hawaii
  • Maine
  • Nevada
  • New Hampshire
  • New Mexico
  • Oklahoma
  • Rhode Island
  • Utah
  • Washington D.C.

States That Allow Medical Marijuana Reciprocity

Just because you have a medical marijuana card, doesn’t mean you can automatically purchase cannabis at a dispensary in a state where it is legal. The following is a list of states that DO have reciprocity laws in place, meaning they will sell you medical marijuana if you have an out-of-state card.

Alaska

Arizona

Arkansas

California

Colorado

Illinois

Washington, D.C.

Maine

Massachusetts

Michigan

Montana

Nevada

New Hampshire

Oklahoma

Oregon

Rhode Island

Vermont

Utah

Washington

States Without MMJ Reciprocity

While medical marijuana may be legal in these states, they do not serve out-of-state patients.

Georgia

Hawaii

Minnesota

Missouri

New Jersey

New York

Ohio

Virginia

Pennsylvania

West Virginia

well alrightyyyyyyyy then

I knew Michigan recognized out of state cards, but didn't know just how many others did. Michigan has since passed a recreational use law, so everybody is welcome to enjoy ripoff priced herb.

I shouldn't whine; it doesn't seem that long ago that John Sinclair did a dime for possession of two joints in my lovely state.

Congratulations

thanks!

909D2D4A-FC56-4199-A928-F5D31378FC6D.jpeg

0F2F2B9F-D171-46D8-8869-9DAD4748E6B7.jpeg

As different levels of cannabis legalization grow across the country, it’s important to know what you’re looking for in terms of out-of-state cannabis consumption. There are basically two levels of legalized cannabis: medical and recreational. Some states with recreational use may be willing to sell recreational cannabis to out-of-state patients with medical marijuana cards, while others may allow you to visit medical dispensaries. (Not all states have differences between medical and recreational cannabis for sale, though most have different tax rates for medicinal users versus recreational users.)

• Alaska
  • Arizona
  • Arkansas
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Connecticut
  • Delaware
  • District of Columbia
  • Florida
  • Hawaii
  • Illinois
  • Louisiana
  • Maine
  • Maryland
  • Massachusetts
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • Nevada
  • New Hampshire
  • New Jersey
  • New Mexico
  • New York
  • North Dakota
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • Oregon
  • Pennsylvania
  • Rhode Island
  • Utah
  • Vermont
  • Washington
  • Washington, D.C.
  • West Virginia
Of those states, these are the ones that currently accept out-of-state MMJ cards in some form or another:

• Arkansas
  • Hawaii
  • Maine
  • Nevada
  • New Hampshire
  • New Mexico
  • Oklahoma
  • Rhode Island
  • Utah
  • Washington D.C.

Just because you have a medical marijuana card, doesn’t mean you can automatically purchase cannabis at a dispensary in a state where it is legal. The following is a list of states that DO have reciprocity laws in place, meaning they will sell you medical marijuana if you have an out-of-state card.

Alaska

Arizona

Arkansas

California

Colorado

Illinois

Washington, D.C.

Maine

Massachusetts

Michigan

Montana

Nevada

New Hampshire

Oklahoma

Oregon

Rhode Island

Vermont

Utah

Washington

While medical marijuana may be legal in these states, they do not serve out-of-state patients.

Georgia

Hawaii

Minnesota

Missouri

New Jersey

New York

Ohio

Virginia

Pennsylvania

West Virginia

• Alaska
  • Arizona
  • Arkansas
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Connecticut
  • Delaware
  • District of Columbia
  • Florida
  • Hawaii
  • Illinois
  • Louisiana
  • Maine
  • Maryland
  • Massachusetts
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • Nevada
  • New Hampshire
  • New Jersey
  • New Mexico
  • New York
  • North Dakota
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • Oregon
  • Pennsylvania
  • Rhode Island
  • Utah
  • Vermont
  • Washington
  • Washington, D.C.
  • West Virginia

• Arkansas
  • Hawaii
  • Maine
  • Nevada
  • New Hampshire
  • New Mexico
  • Oklahoma
  • Rhode Island
  • Utah
  • Washington D.C.

Alaska

Arizona

Arkansas

California

Colorado

Illinois

Washington, D.C.

Maine

Massachusetts

Michigan

Montana

Nevada

New Hampshire

Oklahoma

Oregon

Rhode Island

Vermont

Utah

Washington

Georgia

Hawaii

Minnesota

Missouri

New Jersey

New York

Ohio

Virginia

Pennsylvania

West Virginia

henrikholloway my friend is having a medical marijuana card, He got on the condition of Insomnia. Also, he got the card from Greenpot MD.​

I'm from mass and can buy weed with my card in other states with it

why voluntarily put yourself on ANY list ..

Once, I joined voluntarily to a Don Quixote Everlasting Smiles Event .. I heard the message

As far as I know, he can't. However, there might be exceptions, so it's better to contact the place he got his card from. For example, when I need any information or support, I contact Marijuana Doctor Pensacola; they help me get this card and are very kind and ready to help me anytime. If he doesn't know who to contact, they can surely rely on them. The only thing I am not sure about is if they are collaborating with all the states. As you may know, different states have different rules regarding medical marijuana cards.

Last edited:
Hmmmm.....that is like buying gas from one gas station and going to another gas station to pump the gas.....might as well smash and grab like cali does it.

• Alaska
  • Arizona
  • Arkansas
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Connecticut
  • Delaware
  • District of Columbia
  • Florida
  • Hawaii
  • Illinois
  • Louisiana
  • Maine
  • Maryland
  • Massachusetts
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • Nevada
  • New Hampshire
  • New Jersey
  • New Mexico
  • New York
  • North Dakota
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • Oregon
  • Pennsylvania
  • Rhode Island
  • Utah
  • Vermont
  • Washington
  • Washington, D.C.
  • West Virginia

• Arkansas
  • Hawaii
  • Maine
  • Nevada
  • New Hampshire
  • New Mexico
  • Oklahoma
  • Rhode Island
  • Utah
  • Washington D.C.

Alaska

Arizona

Arkansas

California

Colorado

Illinois

Washington, D.C.

Maine

Massachusetts

Michigan

Montana

Nevada

New Hampshire

Oklahoma

Oregon

Rhode Island

Vermont

Utah

Washington

Georgia

Hawaii

Minnesota

Missouri

New Jersey

New York

Ohio

Virginia

Pennsylvania

West Virginia

Georgia actually has a reciprocal law. Just have to follow our laws in our state which is 5% THC oil only until we can change the law for actual Marijuana.

I would check the state website for local regulations. I haven't gotten a medcard for a couple of years now. Pretty much everyone here has done the same. Just another way for the gov't to heep track of us.

Just another way for the gov't to heep track of us.
And infringe on your 2nd amendment rights. If you are a violent drunk or take prescription medications like SSRI’s that have been shown to increase violent and suicidal behaviors, you can still own guns. If you have a cannabis medical card, you are denied your right to keep and bear arms. 😳

And infringe on your 2nd amendment rights. If you are a violent drunk or take prescription medications like SSRI’s that have been shown to increase violent and suicidal behaviors, you can still own guns. If you have a cannabis medical card, you are denied your right to keep and bear arms. 😳
That's so true

Latest posts

Back