Could use some advise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Menimeth

Reaction score
Hi guys, this is my first grow attempt indoors, and I could use some advise on my setup. My space is a closet seperated into two spaces, with the bottom being 3x3x5, and the top being 3x3x4. I have two 400w mh/hps grow lights, (one for each space), and the bottom space has been made light leak proof. I have a 150cfm squrrel cage fan for the flowering room that vents through the floor, and two 120mm high speed fans for the top, venting into the attic. Each space has a 10" occ. fan, and the walls are all painted white. I am useing 3 gallon pots for the muture plants, and 1 gallon pots for the youngsters. My medium is 60% potting soil made for indoor plants, 20% perlite, and 20% compost/homemade. How many plants would be best for my space, and would the general hydroponics flora series nuts work with my setup. I was given the three bottles by a friend, florabloom, floragro, and floramicro.
Thanks

Those nutes will do just fine, lots here use them, malke sure they arent too old.

As for how many plants, hard to say but i would guess 4 in 3x3 flowering and maybe 6 in veg area, but ultimately it depends on how long you veg, short veg might get you 4 in flower but a longer veg maybe only 2 in flower.

Is it possable to flower two plants for 4 to 5 weeks, then add two more, and harvest two pants every 4 to 5 weeks?

dman1234 said:
Those nutes will do just fine, lots here use them, malke sure they arent too old.

As for how many plants, hard to say but i would guess 4 in 3x3 flowering and maybe 6 in veg area, but ultimately it depends on how long you veg, short veg might get you 4 in flower but a longer veg maybe only 2 in flower.

I agree, for me I would try to do 4 but with only 5 feet of vertical space I would use clones and flower once there about 1' tall no more.

Is the top space to hold a mother plant?

absolutely, its called perpetual harvest, you should not veg to long and consider training them in some way.

Menimeth said:
Is it possable to flower two plants for 4 to 5 weeks, then add two more, and harvest two pants every 4 to 5 weeks?

Sure but you wont have an even canopy and IMO it wastes space because of that.
If you flower that hole space and harvest you could have 4 more vegged plants to go right into flower and harvest every 8-10 weeks. I guess it doesnt matter much.

I have to agree with GroDude on that. I believe it would be more efficient and more productive to do single harvests every 8-9 weeks. if yu can start from clones or get some good seeds and get them up to the clone stage then yu can do either a scrog with just a few plants and get lots of bud, or yu can get lots of clones in smaller containers and do single cola Sea of green method which will also give yu8 lots of bud but in a shorter time period. green mojo to ya either way..looks like yer set up good for starting

Just more reasons why running from clone and keeping moms rocks....

I run perpetual harvest and I think it makes better use of your space. The 2 older plants can get larger because they have more room--the 2 younger plants being smaller. It is easy to maintain an even canopy by using milk crates, buckets, boxes, etc. I would do a little lst and run 4-6 plants. I also recommend running clones.

I am thinking about starting with a streight Afghan strain, and maybe northern lights as well. is that a good choice for an indoor beginner?

I think I will try both ways and see which one works best for me, but is seems like i will get the same yeld eather way.

I ran a perpetual harvest, 3 plants maturing every 2 weeks and I thought it was a better use of space. As THG said, you can have a few large plants and a few younger plants in the space, as the bigger ones mature, the younger ones grow into the space they vacate and you stick a couple of fresh younger plants in.

Other advantages are you dont have several oz of weed in the house that you have to make last, your next harvest is just around the corner and your learning experience is vastly accellerated because you have several grows on the go all at once. Eg, I grew for 8 months and had around 10 harvests, running back to back would give you just 3 harvests in the same time working from clones. On the down side, it takes more planning ahead and I think is a little more work involved keeping the canopy even but I think you get larger yields from a given space.
JMO W

The Hemp Goddess said:
I run perpetual harvest and I think it makes better use of your space. The 2 older plants can get larger because they have more room--the 2 younger plants being smaller. It is easy to maintain an even canopy by using milk crates, buckets, boxes, etc. I would do a little lst and run 4-6 plants. I also recommend running clones.

:yeahthat:

Making the canopy even is simple enough, bringing in plants as room is available is really nice for never ending bud!

Thanks for all of the advice, alot of my questions have been answered and i feel much better about my setup. I am about to start a grow useing some seeds from a bag of really good regular weed, to get comfortable with the process before i acquire seeds from one of the seed banks. One more question. I was given some Kool-Bloom liquid along with the flora series nuts. How is the best way to use it, or should i use it at all? I want the best plants I can get, with the best flavor possable, with my setup, and i would really like some input on it. Thanks.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I don't think I could grow without my milk crates, buckets, boxes, blocks of wood etc. I see I have to raise the tub on my C99 to keep up on my current grow, I had to last time also,

Menimeth said:
Thanks for all of the advice, alot of my questions have been answered and i feel much better about my setup. I am about to start a grow useing some seeds from a bag of really good regular weed, to get comfortable with the process before i acquire seeds from one of the seed banks. One more question. I was given some Kool-Bloom liquid along with the flora series nuts. How is the best way to use it, or should i use it at all? I want the best plants I can get, with the best flavor possable, with my setup, and i would really like some input on it. Thanks.

Kool-bloom is used in flowering.

The best plants with the best flavor starts with growing good genetics. If you are using bagseed, keep a close eye out for hermies.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Kool-bloom is used in flowering.

The best plants with the best flavor starts with growing good genetics. If you are using bagseed, keep a close eye out for hermies.

The temp was 106 today, and it has been as high as 109, but it has been hovering around 101 for the last 5 weeks. Even with the air running hard all day to keep the house cool, it is hard to keep the temp in my grow room down below 80, and i thought it would be better to grow seeds that I already have to see how well the grow room works, before spending alot of money on seeds from a seed bank.

I understand your point totally Menimeth, the trouble is, growing bagseed through summer with those temps is just asking for hermies!
Light leaks, High temps, other stress factors all increase the chances of hermies so please watch closely for them.
Having said that, getting a room dialled in with "free" seeds (+free clones) is how I did my old room. Once I had some "paid for" seeds, they took off good style.
Heres some green mojo for ya. W

When it gets hot, I run my flowering lights at night.

You may want to check into a T5 for vegging. It gives you the same lumens per watt as a MH but produces substantially less heat.

OK, I have this really great squirrel cage fan I acquired from my years as a RR signal maintainer, that is rated at 400 cfm. It is a new fan so I know it pulls what the manufacturer sayes it does, but there is no way I am pulling that mush air from my flower room, so it must be the 4" dryer hose that I am useing to vent the space. I am using 3, 70 cfm, safetran controller unit fans to pull cool air from the house into the space, but I should still have a slight negitave pressure, unfortunately It is the other way around. Any thoughts on the problem.

Latest posts

Back