Couple noob questions about areoponics. Height of Misters??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EsC420PoT

Hydro Indoor Grower
Reaction score
So since I've joined MP what? 5 years ago? I started with soil (naturally) then graduated to Hydro drip, then flood and drain, now I feel confident enough to try making and upgrading to a DIY Areoponics system. I know the basics and some handy means of how to make this system, how ever this is new territory for me, and I will def. need al the hlep I can get form you guys. Although this grow won't be started till August, I felt I could open this thread and start asking all my noob questions so when the time comes, IM ready to go ;) and can continue to use this as I go along with my setup.

My first curiosity, is I've watch and read countless videos and forums on how to make these mister systems, and although (depending on what my local hydro store has) I don't know exactly which type of misters wether it be a few of those small ones bunched around or a couple of those big mister heads. as it will all do the same thing. However, im curious within a 20 Gallon tote From the bottom of the tote, about what level would I want the actual misters to be sparaying? I dont want to put them to low or to high as I'm not sure if this would effect it really? My common sense is telling me it would, so what would be the adequate elevation for the misters to be hitting the roots at? Any help, tips and constructive criticism is greatly appreciated, thanks!

the one bit of advise i have for you is to invest in a really good cleaning solution, and a water chiller. if the water is too warm algae will grow and build up in the tubing, misters, absolutely EVERYWHERE.

clean the system after every grow. no exceptions. cleanliness is so so important.

Thanks! Will do! I agree with any system, especially after you harvested and are going to start another batch, you must keep everything clean. Thanks for your advice Short! Anyone else? Any idea on what level I should have misters at? Or does it matter all as long as it's hitting the roots?

You will actually have to set it up (the mister head and pump) and test it to see where they will spray and how the spray spreads out. I would use smaller spray nozzles that spray 360 degrees and use many of them so that if 1-2 gets clogged, the plants in one section won't dry out.

That said, unless you really want to do it to see if you can make it work, for the fun of it, I would discourage you from making an aeroponics system as they are a pain in the neck and back. There is very little advantage to using them over other methods. It is difficult to grow the plants to any real size because their weight gets to be too much for the system with multiple plants. If you are having to grow small plants and want to maximize their growth and yield, it may serve you but there are easier ways that work just as well.
But as I said, if you just want the challenge of doing it, that's cool too. You can get the sprayers and heads and such from garden stores or home improvement stores that sell the automated lawn and flower bed watering systems. Then you can tie them in to a standard high quality submersible pump. :)

You will actually have to set it up (the mister head and pump) and test it to see where they will spray and how the spray spreads out. I would use smaller spray nozzles that spray 360 degrees and use many of them so that if 1-2 gets clogged, the plants in one section won't dry out.

That said, unless you really want to do it to see if you can make it work, for the fun of it, I would discourage you from making an aeroponics system as they are a pain in the neck and back. There is very little advantage to using them over other methods. It is difficult to grow the plants to any real size because their weight gets to be too much for the system with multiple plants. If you are having to grow small plants and want to maximize their growth and yield, it may serve you but there are easier ways that work just as well.
But as I said, if you just want the challenge of doing it, that's cool too. You can get the sprayers and heads and such from garden stores or home improvement stores that sell the automated lawn and flower bed watering systems. Then you can tie them in to a standard high quality submersible pump. :)

Hey Hush! Thanks for stopin by! Ya i totally agree with you, which is why after 5 years I never wanted to mess with aeroponics until now. It is Def. one of those things where I just want to try it and see if I can pull it off. Growing is my greatest passion in the world. And When it comes to growing, I always want to expand ideas and progress to what ever is possible. I will always stick to my outdoor soil and my indoor drip systems, however this is more of a "project" for fun as well as an attempt to expand my growing experience. Plus, I feel areoponics is the best way to grow, but I def. agree it requires more attention, which ironically is what I want. When I grow, I get obsessed with my babies.. I'm constantly checking everything and picking leaves that are not needed or lolloping anything. It gets to the point to where im going crazy cause there aint **** else to do but wait at times.. So having more to keep me busy as well as possibly promoting bigger yields and/or quality is Def. worth it to me. I really do appreciate your constructive criticism tho. And I agree with every word. I know how tedious these systems can be. I will def. wait for the time that I actually build the set up to ask specific questions like that. I now realize I was a bit hasty in posting this thread, non the less, I feel I can still get some good understanding such as you have given me just now. WIth that being said, I do plan on doing a sea of green method. I will barley be vegging, and plan on growing about 10-20 plants per 20 gallon tote. Total of 200-300 under 4, 600 HPS. Quantities and light may vary depending on how big me and my brother end up making the room. however were trying to experiment with instead of doing 8-16 plants, we wanted to get a sea of green constant cycle where every 2-3 weeks we will get a harvest. But, all in all, it's a trial an run basis, and it is purely for expanding and experimenting as a project not so much as a dire need for my own meds or to turn a profit from selling to experiences

Latest posts

Back