Crash Journal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a holly jolly Christmas
And in case you didn’t hear
Ole St. Nick wants a bag of bud
Instead of milk and cookies this year.
Happy Christmas to you too my friend.

Santa can have all the bud he wants from me, but I thought that bag he carries over his shoulder was full of bud...

Dumb question on setting up the exhaust fan in a grow tent. I want to put the carbon filter on the floor and exchange floor space for head space. The duct fan will replace the entire tent volume up to four times a minute. Are there any other practical reasons for hanging that stuff above the lights?

Okay, crises avoided. No way I was giving up that head room if I could get out of it. Then I thought to actually measure the lights, and realized the fan and filter didn't interfere at all. I'll go with @oldfogey8 and blame the Christmas buzz : )

Now I just have to get the ambition to fix the crappy cables on the MH lights. The little bit of heat coming off the power supplies doesn't remotely justify the mass of tangled wire they added to make relocating them possible. Maybe I'll change my mind again when the buzz wears off.

tent01.jpg

tent02.jpg

I think my apple sapling cutting died. At least the leaves turned at the same time the leaves on the sapling outside changed. Maybe they are using my wireless to communicate... I'll give it another week, but it doesn't look good.

My wife has this ficus tree I have been eying as the next potential grafting host. I need to pick a branch she won't notice is missing. She would let me take it if I asked, but that would take the fun out of it. Not sure if they can be cloned though.

Speaking of clones, right after I decided the ABC cuttings were never going to root, it's been three weeks after all, three of the five I have left poked roots out of their plugs. If I get a fourth, they will all go into the DWC.

Forgot to mention the freak bomb seeds. None of them popped, but turned fuzzy instead. I thought I had killed that stuff, but I guess it's still on the seeds. Going to soak another batch in H2O2 first and see if they will pop then.

Grr, the controller for my AC Infinity fan failed yet again. I went ahead and ordered a new one. Not happy with AC Infinity, though. It annoys me that I can't trust their stuff to protect my plants. Probably make my own controller next time. It's just a 0-10V input to the fan. I'm sure I can rig something to work reliably for my purposes.

I have the tent holding around 72 degrees. I think it will be okay until the new controller arrives. Lights will be 24/7 until then.

The male freak show plants went from pot plants to Christmas trees to grafting hosts. Have to give them a week or so to recover before hacking off a little more. Then I can try to graft some ABC cuttings to them. This will be my first real attempt at grafting. Eventually there shouldn't be any male freak show nodes remaining. That's the plan anyway.

The little THC Bomb seedling I up potted without thinking about the cold temperature of the water I used to rinse the soil. Hope it survives. I also put 10 Freak Bomb seeds in a mixture of water and about 1% H2O2. Those will soak for 12-24 hours and hopefully be ready to sprout fuzz free afterward.

hosts01.jpg

I have the tent holding around 72 degrees. I think it will be okay until the new controller arrives. Lights will be 24/7 until then.

The male freak show plants went from pot plants to Christmas trees to grafting hosts. Have to give them a week or so to recover before hacking off a little more. Then I can try to graft some ABC cuttings to them. This will be my first real attempt at grafting. Eventually there shouldn't be any male freak show nodes remaining. That's the plan anyway.

The little THC Bomb seedling I up potted without thinking about the cold temperature of the water I used to rinse the soil. Hope it survives. I also put 10 Freak Bomb seeds in a mixture of water and about 1% H2O2. Those will soak for 12-24 hours and hopefully be ready to sprout fuzz free afterward.

View attachment 316002
"What can stop the determined heart and resolved will of man?"

The chopped up freak show plants didn't look stressed at all this morning, so I decided to try some grafting on one of them. Not expecting much, since I have no idea what I'm doing. I just want to learn what works and what doesn't.

I tried a small branch to branch splice. I basically split the stem of the host branch and sliced the stem of the target branch into a V more or less. Then I stuck them together with a little extra water and wrapped them with thin grafting tape (a.k.a. saran wrap). Then I wrapped the whole mess with some tie wire. I didn't notice I got it crooked until I came in and looked at the pics. I decided to leave it as is and see what happens : ) But I think the next one like this I try will have the tie wire on the inside to make it easier to press the pieces together.

gr02.jpg

Then I cut a little more off the main stalk on the host and cut an inch long vertical split. I used two cuttings from the ABC plant with the ends sliced into wedges also an inch long. I pried open the split on the stalk and stuck the two wedges into that. More grafting tape and more tie wire. I'm a little more confident about this one. Everything fit together snugly, so the tape was only needed to keep moisture from escaping.

gr01.jpg

I wish I could figure out what I'm doing right with this thing. I have a solid history of flowering plants with crispy burned looking leaves. That describes pretty much every plant I've grown to harvest so far. This just isn't supposed to happen...

csmb002.jpg

csmb003.jpg

csmb004.jpg

csmb005.jpg

Latest posts

Back