Crash Journal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrashMagnet

Bud of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I thought I would stop posting in the sick plants forum. I mean, not every one of my plants are sick! The title seems appropriate, though. Expect random catastrophic decisions at any part of every grow.

So this is day 8 of my fourth attempt at a full size Early Miss Auto. I want this one to exceed the two foot height everyone says it (never) reaches. The first two made it to 18 inches before I harvested them (probably late), but I did so much wrong in the beginning it's amazing they made it that far.

The third is still growing after barely making it out of seedling stage. I'm hoping she will make some progress now that I can leave her outdoors. Here she it hiding from the neighbors between the hydroponics and the raised bed. Nothing like the pathetic seedling my wife wouldn't let me toss.

tr1.jpg

So on to the fourth one. I was afraid to go with a grow cube or plug, since that where the last one (almost) failed. I pushed the seed straight into Happy Frog and perlite in a 6 Oz clear Solo cup. Day 4 after it sprouted I could see roots running down the side, and I moved it into a 3 gallon felt pot. I didn't have a 2 gallon that was tall enough and, well, I'm optimistic! This is day 8 after sprout.

ema_3gal.jpg

Starting a THC Bomb the same way. Roots haven't shown on the sides yet, but there is one visible at the bottom of the cup. Day 3. Planning to give this one away.

thcb_d3.jpg

So I didn't follow @Carty 's steps exactly as I probably should have. This is the crash journal after all... I might be giving it too much light as well. The leaves are growing, but it's not getting much taller. If I can find a place to hide it, I might just leave it outside.

You and I are ‘self-depreciating, shooting-one’s-self-in-the-foot brothers-in-arms’. I always hope for the best but assume the worst(and focus on all my failures despite my successes). Looking forward to a 2+ footer with plenty of good buds but more than a few ‘if only’s’ and ‘coulda-woulda-shoulda’s’. As everyone always tells me, I am sure you ‘knock it out of the park’ but don’t see it that way. I am looking forward to your better-than-you-see-it results. Sorry for all the hyphens. I will end my comment with an ellipsis…

You and I are ‘self-depreciating, shooting-one’s-self-in-the-foot brothers-in-arms’. I always hope for the best but assume the worst(and focus on all my failures despite my successes). Looking forward to a 2+ footer with plenty of good buds but more than a few ‘if only’s’ and ‘coulda-woulda-shoulda’s’. As everyone always tells me, I am sure you ‘knock it out of the park’ but don’t see it that way. I am looking forward to your better-than-you-see-it results. Sorry for all the hyphens. I will end my comment with an ellipsis…

Failure is the best way to learn IMO. A self-depreciating brother-in-arms, yes indeed. You almost have to be one to know one 😁.

And I know them all... haha. I'm still making mistakes learning. messed up this current grow bad. went cheap because soil prices shot up, soil I got blows.. arghh. Roots Organics or Strawberry Fields only from now on. My bro buys so much he gets it for $15 a bag... guess I'll start buying few at a time..

Brother Crash... ya gotta start them in 1gal pots man... it's something about stunting the tap root on autos that they do not like. Photo periods you can just keep vegging until they veg their way out of it, autos cannot do this..
some reason it stunts them.

I've got some new seeds I just made, wanna try some.? from Alaska somewhere, Gambian F7 x Neville's Haze F3
I started with F2 stock, so these are F3. Stinky stuff and what great smoke.. very potent. peek at my auto thread to
see her. Gamhazn f2 is what she is... and it is Gamhazing stuff... muwahahah.

We all gotta go thru out test periods man.. when I started I was told to start them in 3gal felt pots.. ok. fine if you have fem'd seeds.. and I don't like having full control over moisture levels in the pot either..
Since I had Regular Autos, and wanted 5 or 6 plants, I had to start 12. Um, I don't have room for 12 3gal pots, soil would be $.. so, I used 1gal pots..

I was also told, NEVER transplant an auto. stubborn me says, oh yeah.. we'll see about that. So, I had to wait for them to sex, and up pot the best females and I wound up with 7. culled 1. went into 3gal felt pots, since have switched to a unique 2gal made much taller.... walla. ez peezee.. 1gal, show sex, 2gal felt. If you don't mind watering often, I'd even say half gal pot would work as it's only 2 to 3wks max usually...

I think your gonna get things going just fine bro... need any help I'm glad to do so...

Hello CrashMagnet welcome to Marijuana Passion there are lots of nice people here feel free to asking (?) Have fun growing.

Hi Carty, I'll be transplanting one or two of the Blueberry's you gifted to me in 3 gal fabric pots. I'll be order 2 gal fabric pots in the furure but for now I'm using what I got.

Carty, mine are female seeds, so I thought I should start them directly in 2 gal pots? The clear solo cup was an added experiment. Sometimes the seed germinates upside down and races for the bottom, and I end up with a root sticking out the top. I even had one I germinated in a paper towel do that once.

So I figured I could leave it in the solo cup to make sure it was oriented in the right direction, but not long enough to stunt the tap root. Next time though, straight into the 2 gal pot. I keep repeating the Early Miss grows so I can compare them and decide which mistakes were actually good ideas!

I would love some seeds to play with. I'm a seed junky almost, and bought more than I will plant in a couple of years, as well as pollenated a couple of branches and collected those seeds. But more is always better. I could get them in soil by the middle of May.

The roots showed up in the THC Bomb's solo cup today (day 4). About like the EM auto, I moved it before the roots began to circle. I shouldn't have reused a cup that had algae in it - oops.

soloroots.jpg

soloroots2.jpg

soloroots3.jpg

And straight to a 5 gallon pot. It's going to live outside starting this weekend.

thcb5gal.jpg

My nephew is taking the clones off my hands. He's proving to be just as good at killing seedlings as me. I think he will have better luck with plants already in veg. He's going to leave them outside, so we'll still know if they bloom from being out too soon. Here they are hiding from the storm with the tomatoes and spinach.

20220426_192236.jpg

As long as I'm updating progress, the GSCs drank more than 5 gallons of water the last two days. PH dropped from 5.9 to 5.4 during that time as well. I filled it with tap water (PH 7+) and it's back to 5.9.

They don't seem to be eating that much, but they sure are drinking and growing. I'll have to stand on a bucket to raise the light soon. Already have to stand in the gym to get them all in the picture.

GSC.jpg

My nephew is taking the clones off my hands. He's proving to be just as good at killing seedlings as me. I think he will have better luck with plants already in veg. He's going to leave them outside, so we'll still know if they bloom from being out too soon. Here they are hiding from the storm with the tomatoes and spinach.

View attachment 295196
My daughter is puttting a couple clones I gave her out early. It will be interesting to see the difference in them and mine which will wait till June to go out. I’d kinda like to see that crazy Re-veg thing happen but just not on my plants 😁 she lives close by so I can watch them

My daughter is puttting a couple clones I gave her out early. It will be interesting to see the difference in them and mine which will wait till June to go out. I’d kinda like to see that crazy Re-veg thing happen but just not on my plants 😁 she lives close by so I can watch them

I haven't seen one re-veg either, though one of the clones started to flower briefly the day after I potted it. It was under a TS2000 20/4, so any plans it had to flower were short lived. I didn't know it could be a spectacle, or I might have encouraged it : )

I have the THC Bomb seedling going out as well. It just needs a couple of days to adjust to the new pot. And then, if I get really brave, the mother plant can go out. I already put it out every morning. I just need to force myself to stop bringing it in at night.

My dog plowed through the tomato pots a couple of weeks ago and broke one off at dirt level. So far, he hasn't munched any fan leaves, but he sleeps under the exhaust vent for the tent. I re-rooted the broken tomato plant in rock wool, so he's off the hook.

I'm a little concerned about all the rabbits I'm seeing this year. I don't mind them eating some lettuce and spinach. But they better stay clear of the pot plants : )

My dog plowed through the tomato pots a couple of weeks ago and broke one off at dirt level. So far, he hasn't munched any fan leaves, but he sleeps under the exhaust vent for the tent. I re-rooted the broken tomato plant in rock wool, so he's off the hook.

I'm a little concerned about all the rabbits I'm seeing this year. I don't mind them eating some lettuce and spinach. But they better stay clear of the pot plants : )
Wrap some chicken wire around them

I have read never clone a plant in flower, and never clone an auto, so what am I doing? Trying to clone some pruned branches from the auto GSC's in flower..

clone.jpg

Going to be out of town for a week starting Sunday. I was all set with auto watering schemes for all the potted plants, but wasn't prepared for the DWC plants drinking 2-3 gallons every freaking day. Growth has slowed a little, but if anything they are drinking even more. Probably means I should be changing the nutrients more often than once a week.

I have a mechanical float valve on the way. I'm planning on supplying it from a 20 gallon reservoir and a submersible pump on a timer. So I can top off the DWC to whatever I set the float to once a day. Just hope I don't do too much damage to the GSC jungle installing the valve.

In the flower tent I had an "incident" a few days ago I've been avoiding thinking about. The tent and DWC share a room with my air compressor which I usually leave unplugged when I'm not using it. But last weekend I forgot and left it plugged in and it apparently came on and tripped a breaker during the night when all the lights were on. It killed the grow lights in the shop, the AC, chiller and the fans in the tent, but NOT the light in the tent which just by chance is on a different circuit.

So the next morning I found some crispy plants in the tent. My first thought was to just toss them and forget about it, but gave them a few days. Most of the fan leaves fell off the White Widows and the Blueberry has some serious leaf damage all over. But they are all showing new growth, so it's looking like they will make it to harvest in spite of the abuse. I'll post some pics tonight when I get home.

Latest posts

Back