Crash Journal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kind of a slow week for growing. Here are the two freak show plants I'm hoping includes at least one female. They have stretched out a little since I moved them from the TS3000 to the TS2000. And no, I haven't hit a single plant with a dart yet.

fs002.jpg

Waiting for the selfed plants to start opening pollen sacks. Not much to report. I know I will be waiting 3-5 weeks after pollination, so I'm not even checking trichomes on the CSM and ABC plants in bloom.

Instead I spent the day putting together a stand for a metal lathe
in storage I converted to CNC in the 90's. It needs a new computer, but everything else looks in good shape. I've had to invent a lathe-free work around for countless projects over the years. It will be nice to get it setup again.

Here's the start of the stand. It's overbuilt, but the old stand used to flex and twist with weather changes. The new table cost less than one ruined rifle barrel, a lot less actually : )

Table top...
lathe01.jpg

And four legs...

lathe02.jpg

that looks pretty should much do the job crash, pretty stout piece of lumber...a good penetrating sealer should keep it that way forever...
I'm on the fence between sealant and epoxy. I'm not sure how something like polyurethane will hold up to the coolant I sometimes use with the lathe.

I spent over 35 years in the coatings industry so this next comment should be given a little credence. Never use epoxy on wood because if there is a crack and moisture intrudes epoxy will buckle off. Use multiple coats of polyurethane and thin the first coat down 50% so it will absorb into the wood fibers. The subsequent coats should be applied at full body strength after sanding…

That a metal lathe? With CNC? That must be fun. I love a lathe. What kind of projects to you make?
Usually small things like bushings and screws, etc. Most complicated part was a crank shaft for a scale V8 engine a friend was building. I originally bought it just to machine the ball screws for the mill I was converting.

Usually small things like bushings and screws, etc. Most complicated part was a crank shaft for a scale V8 engine a friend was building. I originally bought it just to machine the ball screws for the mill I was converting.
Well I know that crank what was no easy peezy thing. I can only make simple things like bushings or take off a skim cut …. I’m an outside machinist by trade but have taken the wheel on a simple jobs whenever I got the chance.

Well I know that crank what was no easy peezy thing. I can only make simple things like bushings or take off a skim cut …. I’m an outside machinist by trade but have taken the wheel on a simple jobs whenever I got the chance.
Yep I knew you were a reg ole Rosey
1665949549975.png

Cool that you know how to work tools

I think I ruined the first 5 or 6 cranks before I got it right. The jig I made to hold it with the correct offsets kept slipping.

I did some machining in the 80's for a company that refurbished train axles and wheel... some valves and such. It was mostly just moving the parts in and out of the machines. They were all preset to do the same part over and over, and all we did was mount each part and press go : )

a CNC is way beyond my wheelhouse, I'm self taught in every skill I have but at my age learning computer programing for a part isn't feasable...I build cars from the ground up, engines and all with hand gapped components but I don't have the patience to make the parts...good on you crash...

a CNC is way beyond my wheelhouse, I'm self taught in every skill I have but at my age learning computer programing for a part isn't feasable...I build cars from the ground up, engines and all with hand gapped components but I don't have the patience to make the parts...good on you crash...
My cad skills are abysmal, but the software has wizards to make basic parts. You just fill in the blanks with the correct sizes, feeds and speeds.

Latest posts

Back