Crash Journal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My cad skills are abysmal, but the software has wizards to make basic parts. You just fill in the blanks with the correct sizes, feeds and speeds.
Just because you use words like abysmal I’m sure you can push them buttons and make something beautiful. Love watching those CNC do their thing. It was a bit past my old school machining but the some of the kids behind me were awesome at machining/toolmaking…

I haven’t used CAD/CAM in years(like since the 80’s) so I am sure it has come a long way. I worked in glass though, not metal. One of the owners of a company I worked for wanted to make a leaded glass putter head. It was a pretty cool project and the putter looked really slick(he got his hands on a mechanical drawing of a Ping putter and told me he wanted one just like it). About 20 years later, I used a system that would finish an optic to better than lambda/20 just based off of interferometer data of the lenses surface with no input from me, the optician. It used cerium oxide mixed with ferro-magnetic fluid as the ‘cutting’ tool. That took the skill out of the equation for sure.

Waiting for polyurethane to dry... still have to make/buy some drawers for the thing. Still need a new PC for the things as well, now that I think about it.

Back to blooming plants...

CSM has some yellowing leaves, but I'm used to it being a lot worse in late flower. Usually by now some of the sugar leaves are looking pretty crispy. So I may have overcome my impulse to overfeed at the end.

Also, any thrip damage on the lower leaves is old. I'm pretty sure I killed them all with daily soap sprays when I first spotted them, but there are also 5 or 6 little jumping spiders hanging out in the grow room and moving between both plants. I have a few on the freak show plants as well. I hope they got to eat a few thrips.

csm08.jpg

csm09.jpg

csm10.jpg

csm11.jpg

The selfed CSM and ABC plants have lots of pollen sacks, but so far none of the ones that have opened have had any detectable pollen. I'm going to take a lower branch off one and leave it in the food dehydrator for a few hours before opening the pollen sacks. Maybe the moisture in the sacks is sticking to the little bit of pollen they contain?

The spots on the leaves are sawdust, not pollen unfortunately.

csm12.jpg

csm13.jpg

abc09.jpg

Can't figure out these plants I sprayed with colloidal silver. They have pollen sacks, but there's nothing in them. Am I not feeding them enough? I could definitely up the potassium and phosphorous. I'm running out of time, though. I guess worse case is I pollinate the next set of CSM and ABC plants, and just harvest these as is <sigh>

Can't figure out these plants I sprayed with colloidal silver. They have pollen sacks, but there's nothing in them. Am I not feeding them enough? I could definitely up the potassium and phosphorous. I'm running out of time, though. I guess worse case is I pollinate the next set of CSM and ABC plants, and just harvest these as is <sigh>
have you done it before crash with no problems?

have you done it before crash with no problems?
Twice before. I got a lot less pollen than from a male plant, but there was enough to collect and pollinate other plants. I'm wondering if I just didn't dry them out enough and the little bit of pollen in the pollen sacks got wet when I crushed the sacks.

Weekly update... CSM is still growing. I had to raise the lights again last week. Some of its trichomes are amber as well, which means I'm probably not going to have time to pollinate it. I have a clone growing I will pollinate later with whatever pollen I manage to get from the selfed CSM. Same goes for the ABC plant as well.

csm14.jpg

csm15.jpg

csm16.jpg

Not much to report. There were a couple of pollen sacks open on the selfed CSM this afternoon. I'm hoping that's a good sign and I will soon be collecting lots of pollen from those plants. Even a little pollen would be nice at this point.

Here's the lathe stand with drawers added. I was too cheap to buy handles or face plates after spending $70 on drawer slides. Just made everything from scrap. Oh well, at least I now have more drawers to hide junk in. If I get really ambitious I will give them all a polyurethane coat.

lathe04.jpg

Started collecting a little pollen from the selfed CSM today and decided to check the trichomes on the mother plant - after I used the tiny bit of pollen I got. I think I will use the rest of the pollen on the clone when I flip it later this year. The mother plant looks almost past harvest time.

csm18.jpg

The ABC plant still has 4+ weeks to go, so I'm drying the selfed ABC now hoping to get some pollen this weekend.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back