Crash Journal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So my wife wants to use one of my freak shows as a Christmas tree. We usually get a 7' or taller real tree, but we are being lazy (and cheap) this year. The question is how long can I have this in the living room with very little light before it dies? I could probably get a grow light of some kind in there, but not for 18 hours a day.

Of course if one turns out to be male, I won't really care. Just have to wait long enough for it to still look nice on Christmas. If it's female I would want it to recover after Christmas, grow all winter actually. My clones are just starting to grow roots, so I should know before time to setup a tree next month.

275992-fs005.jpg

So my wife wants to use one of my freak shows as a Christmas tree. We usually get a 7' or taller real tree, but we are being lazy (and cheap) this year. The question is how long can I have this in the living room with very little light before it dies? I could probably get a grow light of some kind in there, but not for 18 hours a day.

Of course if one turns out to be male, I won't really care. Just have to wait long enough for it to still look nice on Christmas. If it's female I would want it to recover after Christmas, grow all winter actually. My clones are just starting to grow roots, so I should know before time to setup a tree next month.

275992-fs005.jpg
The grow light could be like the star that tops a lot of Christmas trees…

275992-fs005.jpg
I agree tho it would be an awesome Christmas tree. You can do like the Walton’s did and put it up on Christmas Eve and take it down a day or so after Christmas.

275992-fs005.jpg
Definitely do it! I agree with OF that you could have a nice "shining star" above it for lighting. I wonder if a T5 would be enough?

Definitely do it! I agree with OF that you could have a nice "shining star" above it for lighting. I wonder if a T5 would be enough?
Well, someone would have to talk her into the lighting part : ) A single T5 is about 10% of the total the plant normally sits under, but maybe it will be better focused?

I'm still holding out for a male I won't have to worry about. It's ultimate destination would be the same as any Christmas tree, the curb...

They're pretty enough. She might go for it. I hadn't thought of LED strips.
This should be in the remake of Christmas Story. Freakshow seeds delivered as a Major Award marked in Italian as ‘Fragile’.

The snap of a few sparks, a quick whiff of ozone and the lamp blazed forth in unparalleled glory.

:)

I setup my 32x32x60 tent in the shop's attic last night. I had the portable AC from the shop stored up there as well and stuck it in the tent. The 5" hose barely fits through the supposed 4" vent. Not much room left in the tent, but it sure gets cold in there quick! I need to add a second vent fan to keep the AC from sucking in the sides of the tent. If I got inside and zipped it up then turned on the AC, I bet my ears would pop : )

As soon as I get a light hung and a carbon filter on the AC exhaust I'm going to flip the CSM plant and pollinate it. It can flower all winter if it wants, as long as it makes some seeds.

---

The Christmas freak show tree is a done deal, I think. We might decorate it in the shop, then move it into the house a day or two before Christmas, sooner if it's male. I really like the idea of placing it in the window where it can be seen "from public access".

The two freak show clones finally have roots sticking through the grow plugs. Should be ready for pots by the weekend. They will go straight into the flower room in little 1 gallon pots. With luck I will know if they are male or female before the end of the month.

Ordered some miniature ornaments and light stings. I'm pretty sure one of the freak shows is a male, so I'm not planning on adding a grow light. If they're both female, I have a grow-flood light I can use for the short time it's in the house. I was a little depressed about not having a tree this year, but I'm actually getting a little excited about decorating the little freak show plants. Weird, I know...

Ordered some miniature ornaments and light stings. I'm pretty sure one of the freak shows is a male, so I'm not planning on adding a grow light. If they're both female, I have a grow-flood light I can use for the short time it's in the house. I was a little depressed about not having a tree this year, but I'm actually getting a little excited about decorating the little freak show plants. Weird, I know...
I would expect to see a freak Christmas tree at your place crash. Good luck and can’t wait to see it 🥰

You could make little ornaments out of some of your ABC buds. The twinkling trichomes will add a festive holiday mood and a welcome treat for Santa…

-Martha old fogey Stuart

You could make little ornaments out of some of your ABC buds. The twinkling trichomes will add a festive holiday mood and a welcome treat for Santa…

-Martha old fogey Stuart
I like that idea. I have lots of polyurethane left over to cover a few buds. Have to check them for seeds first, though...

The flowering ABC plant is still doing well. Still no amber trichomes - or visible seeds for that mater. I hope the pace picks up and I can harvest before January. It has company now, the two freak show clones and three autos (Caramelicious Animal Cookies Purple) I'm starting as presents.

abc13.jpg

abc14.jpg

I screwed up and let the two freak show plants run out of water. They're growing so fast lately I have to water almost every day. Maybe I should move to 10 gallon pots. Still waiting for the clones to show sex, so I can pick which one of these gets to be a Christmas tree : )

fs006.jpg

Latest posts

Back