Crash Journal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess the ABC plant is at it's end of life stage. Whole branches are turning brown and dying. I saw it earlier in the week, but thought it was the heat from being in the attic tent on a warm day with no AC. The ones that have died so far have all had a few seeds that look mature. The rest of the plant is healthy, if you call branches collapsing under the weight of the buds healthy.

I cut the 5 or 6 dead branches off, trimmed and left them to dry. I just used the dehydrator fan with no heat. Not sure if the heat will damage the seeds. I say I have no sense of smell, but the strong diesel aroma in my shop was unmistakable. Going to chop the rest of the plant this weekend. Looks like I will end up with 50 seeds or so, maybe less. It's hard to tell with this thing the way the little leaves curl around the bud.

I think I'm settled on the idea of growing these again, but in the DWC this time. I want to see if I can improve on the incredibly slow growth with just improved growing techniques. Thinking of crossing it with the CSM or Stealth Fighter as well, both of which grow a lot faster. I know none of the F1 offspring will look like ABC plants. I have an idea of what I need to cross with each successive generation, but I'm still learning. It might just be too complex a goal for my limited skills and experience. It will be fun to try, though.

Done... Still not sure why it started dying like that. I got maybe 15 seeds just trimming, but expect another 20 or 30 once it dries. I don't like digging through wet stinky bud looking for seeds : ) I had already taken a quarter of the pant earlier in the week. But overall yield was pretty small.

abca01.jpg

abca02.jpg

abca03.jpg

abca04.jpg

abca05.jpg

abca06.jpg

I just noticed the difference in what that plant looked like Tuesday to what it looked like this afternoon. It can't be the grow environment, since I put it right next to the flowering CSM plant which is looking healthy as ever.

Tuesday
278167-abc23.jpg

Today
278482-abca01.jpg

I know everyone else is growing lots of plants, but I have to concentrate on my few : )

So more post mortem/chop info. The thing had been growing for months. I got a little over 2 ounces, or more precisely, not much. And I got 89 mostly immature seeds.

abca07.jpg
abca08.jpg

So 9 weeks in flower and at least 6 in veg, and here's what was in the pot...

abca09.jpg

I know I lack experience, but that's by far the smallest root ball I've seen on any of the plants I grew to harvest. They do look healthy, but I'm thinking the plant must have died of starvation.

I took some cuttings from the mother plant and set them to root. I'll put 2 in the DWC, another in a pot with em-1 which I'll reverse at some point to pollinate branches on the DWC plants.

abca10.jpg

One or two more I want to try grafting on to a plant with better roots. It will be my first attempt at grafting. Have to pick out a suitable host, err root stock. I'll grow that from a seed, and take cuttings at some point to form the root stock and then graft the scion cut from the mother plant. I read a recent study where they grafted the scion to a cutting and cloned the whole mess in one step. Not sure I'm ready for that, though.

I know everyone else is growing lots of plants, but I have to concentrate on my few : )

So more post mortem/chop info. The thing had been growing for months. I got a little over 2 ounces, or more precisely, not much. And I got 89 mostly immature seeds.

View attachment 315100 View attachment 315101

View attachment 315102

I know I lack experience, but that's by far the smallest root ball I've seen on any of the plants I grew to harvest. They do look healthy, but I'm thinking the plant must have died of starvation.

I took some cuttings from the mother plant and set them to root. I'll put 2 in the DWC, another in a pot with em-1 which I'll reverse at some point to pollinate branches on the DWC plants.

View attachment 315104

One or two more I want to try grafting on to a plant with better roots. It will be my first attempt at grafting. Have to pick out a suitable host, err root stock. I'll grow that from a seed, and take cuttings at some point to form the root stock and then graft the scion cut from the mother plant. I read a recent study where they grafted the scion to a cutting and cloned the whole mess in one step. Not sure I'm ready for that, though.
Dr Frank N Stein has nothing on you. Now you just need Abby Normals brain to transplant into your Abby Normal plants.

View attachment 315100 View attachment 315101

View attachment 315102

View attachment 315104

Grafting now. Looking forward to the show crash

I have a bunch of Sunset Sherbet Fem seeds, so I started one as the root stock. Hopefully it pops, since I only planted one.

I was really out there to pollinate the CSM plant when the light came on. I wasn't as stingy with the pollen as I was with the ABC plant. Live and learn, I hope... I also removed another large mass of fan leaves, the third time in the last couple of weeks. Even now it looks pretty shaggy.

csma01.jpg

Looks like the variegated trait isn't so recessive after all. This is from the variegated auto Caramelicious crossed with an auto GDP. Pretty surprised it showed up again. I didn't see it on the other two I already gave away.

Now I wish I hadn't already promised this one to someone, since I still have plenty of pollen from the original. Oh well. I have lots of extra seeds.

cgdpa01.jpg

Last edited:
Somehow I knew that Sunset Sherbet seed wasn't going to pop. I added a THC Bomb to the mix. Still using a paper towel, but if this one fails I'll go with a grow plug. Weird how every seed sprouted in a day or so when I had no idea what I was doing. Now they refuse to sprout pretty regular unless I plant them in dirt which I'm not using this time.

Latest posts

Back