Curious about Auto Flowers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linzwa

Reaction score
I have a few questions about Auto Flowers if anyone has grown them. What is the best light cycle to grow them under? I'm old school and have always used the 18/6 or 12/12 light cycle. How long does it take to flower? Can you clone it? And is the smoke pretty good or should I just stick to my usual feminized seeds? Thanks for your responses.

20/4 lights Weed comes out just as good only faster turn around.
Logically, if they are true autos (flower without a change in lighting) then a perpetual cloning wouldn't be possible. You clone, say after it is 10 days old. The clone is 10 days old. By the time it gets roots and starts growing, it is 20 days old, just like it's mother, but the mother is much larger.

Listen to these guys... used to kill it with autos. and I've created some I'd put up against any photo period.. May
Bud of the Month is my Gabagoo.. seed to weed in 60 days give or take.. but ya gotta be careful with them, they
can stunt easily...

Quick KISS method....
1).. Start them all in 1gal plastic pots until plants show sex.. females usually wk3, males 2.... again, give or take a day.
Starting them in plastic pots allows the root base to get set and begin large roots to get a foot hold....
2).. Up pot to 3gal felt... this begins the process of starting feeder roots from the establishing roots as they hit the
pots edge and get air trimmed.. thus beginning the feeder roots... the ones you want because they uptake food..

I do one trick to get more size, but we'll hold off on that and keep this simple silly... hehe

Listen to these guys... used to kill it with autos. and I've created some I'd put up against any photo period.. May
Bud of the Month is my Gabagoo.. seed to weed in 60 days give or take.. but ya gotta be careful with them, they
can stunt easily...

Quick KISS method....
1).. Start them all in 1gal plastic pots until plants show sex.. females usually wk3, males 2.... again, give or take a day.
Starting them in plastic pots allows the root base to get set and begin large roots to get a foot hold....
2).. Up pot to 3gal felt... this begins the process of starting feeder roots from the establishing roots as they hit the
pots edge and get air trimmed.. thus beginning the feeder roots... the ones you want because they uptake food..

I do one trick to get more size, but we'll hold off on that and keep this simple silly... hehe
I would love to hear that trick

Yep that Gabagoo was an awesome grow and a great smoke. And he is correct. If not careful you can get a runt. But follow what he said above and you will be fine.

I would love to hear that trick
Hey Rosterman.... it's really easy and no trick, just something I figured out doing all my auto experimenting years ago..
Preflower pollenating is the trick.. A female plant gets pregnant by the calyx pistols grabbing the pollen floating in the air.. Males show first and begin swelling in preparation.. week or so later the ladies come into play.. the key is to allow the males to drop just enough pollen to hit the few exposed hairs.. Timing is everything, practice you'll get good at it.. but the female can only produce seeds for the calyx's are affected at the right time... limited hairs, limited seeds..
As the rest of the female matures her new calyx areas will not be affected, thus limiting seed production..

Since Autos only run about 70 days seed to weed, timing is about perfect as I prefer to mature my seeds on the plant for 6wks.. 20 seeds or so per plant keeps the genetics alive for ya without losing all yur harvest eh? luck

Yep that Gabagoo was an awesome grow and a great smoke. And he is correct. If not careful you can get a runt. But follow what he said above and you will be fine.

Yooper is supposed to make more Gabagoo stock and Argo's Garden might also as he has a nice following of her in Colorado..

Note: DON'T feed autos to soon... week 1 nothing but good soil...

I was thinking about this the other day and I believe I missed your point.. you might of been asking about my trick at
flowering to get size out of these autos sometimes.... well, here it is:

First off, even autos need a dark period, why many say 18/6.. but, we all tend to want to push things... so 20/4 is a
good compremise.. now here's the trick.. soon as the female shows sex, put her into a 12/12 light schedule for
10 days.. what I believe this does on most autos, the photo period is always lying dormant, the plants tend to do the
"big stretch" more so by doing this... I discovered this by doing experimenting over 5yrs...

I have to say the most important part about starting autos is the first pot... they seem to love a 1gal pot... and don't
start them in felt, you want the larger roots during veg to develop first, soon as they show sex, into a 3gal felt pot..

I'll be running my own auto thread here very soon... so keep an eye out

I was thinking about this the other day and I believe I missed your point.. you might of been asking about my trick at
flowering to get size out of these autos sometimes.... well, here it is:

First off, even autos need a dark period, why many say 18/6.. but, we all tend to want to push things... so 20/4 is a
good compremise.. now here's the trick.. soon as the female shows sex, put her into a 12/12 light schedule for
10 days.. what I believe this does on most autos, the photo period is always lying dormant, the plants tend to do the
"big stretch" more so by doing this... I discovered this by doing experimenting over 5yrs...

I have to say the most important part about starting autos is the first pot... they seem to love a 1gal pot... and don't
start them in felt, you want the larger roots during veg to develop first, soon as they show sex, into a 3gal felt pot..

I'll be running my own auto thread here very soon... so keep an eye out
Carty sent you a pm @Carty

Just in time for my recent auto interest. Much
Appreciated! Perfect timing. Better grab some 1 gallon and 3 gallon pots.

Bubba

Latest posts

Back