Curious everyones opinion on size before..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Green Fang

You don't see me . . .
Reaction score
As the title says, I'm curious everyones opinion of how tall I should get my 12 plants (from clones) before flipping them to flower, in my 4.5' x 4.5' x 7' tent. I've been experimenting for a year now, and I'm generally curious of peoples thoughts.

I'm getting about 2x size for stretch after the initial 2 weeks, so nothing gets huge. I've been letting them go between 15" - 20" but they have been ending between 30" - 38" Very small, so I came to the conclusion I need to veg longer and be patient.

All plants have been topped once and LST'd. I'm thinking of throwing the switch closer to 24". Any and all thoughts on this?

1200 watts of HPS for flower (right now 800 watt of MH going for 24 hour to veg more) Using Sunshine Advanced Mix #4 - Jungle Juice - various additives

Will add a pic of current vegging room later on today.

Basically, my yields have been suffering, because I'm not filling out my tents. I've been flipping them too early. Just figured since I had so many running at one time, not to let them get too big!

hey now---you answered your own question---" so I came to the conclusion I need to veg longer and be patient. "

rule of thumb is flip with the expectation of the plant doubling in size---adjust accordingly based on sativa dominance growing a bit more than double and indica dominant not quite doubling

peace

Thanks Orange! I needed that little nudge more than you know. :aok: Really appreciate it!

Didn't know if anyone had any general experience with my general setup I have running right now. 12 topped, 4.5' x 4.5' space.

Im in your position I am not taking advantage of all my space. .I also have 16 clones this is first run with them, I will veg them a tad longer I am 10 days or so into my flower tent..have clones under floros. .then will switch to. 1k horribly..tech

Thanks Orange! I needed that little nudge more than you know. :aok: Really appreciate it!

Didn't know if anyone had any general experience with my general setup I have running right now. 12 topped, 4.5' x 4.5' space.

lets see some pics :48:

Generally my plants get flipped to 12 / 12 when they are 24" tall. I use LED`S, so the plants can get up to 5' tall in my grow room. Most of my plants are sativa`s or sativa dominant. Later. Peace.

Generally my plants get flipped to 12 / 12 when they are 24" tall. I use LED`S, so the plants can get up to 5' tall in my grow room. Most of my plants are sativa`s or sativa dominant. Later. Peace.

how bout some pics of the 5'ers and some specs on the led's

First pics are of my current tent I'm curious about. These are between 16" - 19" and they will only double in size. There's 12 of them in 3 gal(?) pots of Sunshine Advanced Mix #4, Jungle Juice, and they have all been topped once. Two 600w HPS hoods, for a total of 1200watts..for flowering. Currently I have two 400w MH bulbs in there to continue their veg.

Thinking of doing a foliar spray. I have never really noticed a difference when I use them.. but, oddly enough, they seem to perk up and look better the next couple days after I do Azamax. Very interesting.

Thoughts?

View attachment Jan15Wide (1 of 7).JPG

View attachment Jan15Wide (2 of 7).JPG

View attachment Jan15Tall (1 of 6).JPG

View attachment Jan15Tall (2 of 6).JPG

View attachment Jan15Tall (3 of 6).JPG

View attachment Jan15Tall (4 of 6).JPG

thanks for sharing dr.---them buds look schweet---not sure if it's just the lighting---if not---i'd be giving them 12 in veg a double dose of some fish emulsion in their next watering---that's just me

thanks for sharing dr.---them buds look schweet---not sure if it's just the lighting---if not---i'd be giving them 12 in veg a double dose of some fish emulsion in their next watering---that's just me

It's not just the lighting.. if you're seeing yellowing then you're not seeing things. I've been having a slight issue with my lower / mid stuff yellowing out on me. I'm trying to figure out if it's my medium getting too out of whack as for PH balance over time. I may have to flush my medium.

Fish emulsion eh? Please enlighten my noobness :D

Someday I'd like to go Organic as it may work better for me thank soilless with chem nutes. I'd RATHER go back Hydro as I was spot on with that, but carrying water many feet and up / down stairs is really wearing.

I believe the key to maximizing your yield for any plants is multiplying top colas, the more the better. That is why I screen mine. I try to veg them as long as I can to create more branching to get the "candelabra" affect. That usually only takes 6-7wks from seed germination. less for clones, probably only 4-5 weeks depending on the strain.

I also like to let my plants get tall enough to get 5-7 nodes then do FIM so that all of those nodes will shoot out into branches. If I get a few branches that are getting too far ahead of the others, I either FIM those or supercrop them to slow them down.

When I set the screen over them for doing scrog, the real purpose is to hold the branches down and spread them out to allow all of the nodes on each branch to produce new branches. This takes me from 6-8 main colas to 25-35 colas. This is done in a 2.5'x2.5' space roughly with one plant. I try to set my plants in the flower space beneath the screen when they are about 20"-25" tall from the top of the soil, and I end up pushing them back down to 20" so that I have nice clearance under the plants for air movement.

Now you can achieve the same thing without using the screen by using string or garden wire to pull those branches down and open so that more branches are produced over the 2 week stretch period after the flip. It will take some trial and error to get to the right point where you know how many plants to use and how long to veg and FIM. I only have 1 plant in a 2.5'x2.5' space and that more than fills it up. So I would only put 4-5 plants in a 4x4/5x5 tent.

But this is just the way I like to do things. :D

Every single thing you've said, I've either done or do Mr HP...you know me, hah :)

I'm going to let me smallest one get to 24" before I flip the lights I believe. After 1 round FIM / topping, and LST'ing, with 12 plants in the space I think that would be my max height. I keep wanting to flip now, but know I should wait it out more.

fish fertilizer can come in liquid or powder---this is what they say about it

"Fish fertilizer is an awesome product for promoting plant growth. It’s high in Nitrogen for growing plants, can be naturally produced, and is an awesome food for microbes! Fungi love this stuff."

our good friend Umbra tells us "feed the soil not the plant"

even though you are not organic---i bet the plants would respond well to and extra dose of Nitrogen how ever they can get it---i wonder if some lime would also help buffer the ph in your medium---i never flush---or put the seat down lol

800w of "white" light (MH) is going to help them veg. Every single time (4 times now) I've tried to veg with HPS, the plants will start to majorly yellow out within a week from the time I start. I have no idea what it is with vegging with HPS, but the plants never seem to like it.

As for a Hose, it's just not feasible with my distance and current setup. But, man would I love to go back to hydro. I had 0 issues with that, as I could maintain my res wonderfully without having to measure run off etc.

(Thanks for stopping in Multi, I really appreciate you checking in here!)

Latest posts

Back