Curious question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

getnasty

Reaction score
This question's out of curiosity. I was browsing the Soil Mixes thread and got sidetracked in thinking... what would be the adverse effects, if any, from lining the bottom of your pots with fruit peels so that the rootmass in the bottom comes into contact with it? Anyone ever experimented with it?

I wouldn't think any good would possibly come of that just mold and something else to attract pests.

What are you expecting the Positve results to be?

I'm with Lemon Jack. I believe the fruit would mold and draw flies and other insects. It could inhibit drainage. I'm not sure I understand either what the benefits would be?

just bad odour and bugs, are you expecting flavour would be added to the smoke? if so, no chance.

Never done it, cant see any good in it. Side note, friend that grows told me he puts a dead fish on top of larger stones at the base of his pots under his soil. Made me think of that. What do you guys think that could do? He said its improved his yields.

ston-loc said:
Never done it, cant see any good in it. Side note, friend that grows told me he puts a dead fish on top of larger stones at the base of his pots under his soil. Made me think of that. What do you guys think that could do? He said its improved his yields.

I have heard that indians did that with corn and other crops back in the day, but a fish is fertilizer and they didnt do it indoors.

Not expecting anything out of it at all, really. As I said, just a curious question. Figured since the stuff is left to decompose in a compost heap that it might be beneficial to add some of the raw materials to the pots.

You want the ready decomposed material to put in your pot getnasty ..not create a compost pile in you pot:p

ston-loc said:

I have done this on my OD grows with putting fish in the bottom of the hole,but no stones. Never did a comparison though. The fish was completely decomposed by end of the grow with no fishy smell.

. What do you guys think that could do? He said its improved his yields.

Sorry ston-loc....I call Bull...all a ddead fish in a pot going to do is bring unwated bugs..esspecially if its a black pot that will heat a bit "cooking it"...like duck said maybe outside in mother earth maybe a benifit...but adding to a yield...I dont think

take care and be safe

4u2sm0ke said:
Sorry ston-loc....I call Bull...all a ddead fish in a pot going to do is bring unwated bugs..esspecially if its a black pot that will heat a bit "cooking it"...like duck said maybe outside in mother earth maybe a benifit...but adding to a yield...I dont think

take care and be safe
His was an outdoor grow that he does this with. I have no proof or even visually seen it. Seen his plants, but not the fish part. No idea either way if it was truth as far as improving the yeilds, but he believes it and continues to grow that way.

Latest posts

Back