Curled leaves and seedling down

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bright light

Reaction score
The leaves on my five inch high baby are curling up on the sides, why?
When my seed comes up before it has any other leaves than what it comes up with it does a nose dive straight into the dirt, why?

Thank you for any insight into this problem.

we need to know more about your grow...... lights?........ soil?...... what are you feeding...... the little plants coming up and falling over mostly likely is lack of good light....... one trick is to not fill up your plant container to the top with soil so you can add more dirt to plant container to hold it steady if it gets a little lanky early on.

It's growing in a smart pot using Roots Organic soil under a sodium 150 watt grow light in my closet.

how big is the pot........ start seeds in small containers and move them to bigger pots as they get bigger........ hard to keep plant watered correctly when you got a little plant in big pot.

It's too late it's in a five gallon pot. It seems fine other than the sides curling in. Included an image, of course it's upside down which goes right along with the kind of day I've had.

View attachment image.jpg

You've got a lockout issue........ I don't have experience with roots organic soil....... looks to me your ph is out of whack......... somebody will come along and tell you how to fix it.

Roots soil wouldn't do that. What have you given the plant? Food, insecticide?

What is a sodium 150 watt grow light? is it a metal halide?

I think this is a light issue. I don't use roots organics soil anymore, i don't care for it, but this isn't a soil problem..

Also that is called taco leaf.

It's growing in a smart pot using Roots Organic soil under a sodium 150 watt grow light in my closet.

Too hot in there, what's your ventilation?
(shitty ventilation also a cause of 'damping off', that's your nose-diving)

I haven't used this soil before either, before it was I can't remember the name, fox something and I've never had this happen before. I haven't given the plant anything but purified bottled water. Ventilation is the crack under the door, it's a small closet and I've had success growing this way until now. Is there a cure for this?

Is it hot in there? Do you have a fan blowing over the top of the plant?

how close is the light---i would raise it

whats the temperature in the room---70* f is good

can you give it more fresh air---add a fan to move fresh air in

is the soil dry---use tap water for minerals not available from purified bottled water

which roots soil are u using---1 is hotter than the other---better for transplanting and other for seedlings

Poor plant. Ya needs to read more Little Brother. You are not setup properly to grow weed.

You absolutely have to have ventilation. A crack under the door is not enough. I believe this is a combination of too much heat and no air movement.

As it does not appear that the Roots organic has much in it, I am quite sure that you should start feeding your plants, too. Either make up some organic teas yourself or get some commercial organic nutrients.

Poor plant. Ya needs to read more Little Brother. You are not setup properly to grow weed.

I can't believe you of all people called this fellow "Little brother" instead of "Grasshopper".

No fan I worry about it overheating. Thanks for all of the suggestions. Like I said I have grown several plants using this set up and never had a problem until I changed the soil to this new stuff...duh I believe I will go back to using the fox farm soil again, hope I can save this plant though.

Wait, what?

You have that light and a (poor) plant in a room with no ventilation or air movement and/BECAUSE you're worried about the... FAN over heating?

... ...

:ciao:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back