Custom potting soil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridgerunner

Reaction score
I have potting soil that has no fertilizer added just peat moss and perlite with lime added will be used in 45 gallon smart pots semi gorilla grow will check it once per week. What other amendments would u add

E56EB51E-7CA9-43EE-B8BD-61F9CEEFA4CD.png E56EB51E-7CA9-43EE-B8BD-61F9CEEFA4CD.png C7F910FC-E5C8-400A-8D51-2BAAD3C33A59.png
E56EB51E-7CA9-43EE-B8BD-61F9CEEFA4CD.png
C7F910FC-E5C8-400A-8D51-2BAAD3C33A59.png
C7F910FC-E5C8-400A-8D51-2BAAD3C33A59.png
E56EB51E-7CA9-43EE-B8BD-61F9CEEFA4CD.png

What does this mean: "Balanced nutrient charge with trace elements"? Sounds like it has nutrients added?

This is just basically peat moss and perlite....what made you decide on this medium?

What do you want to accomplish with your soil? Do you want it to feed the plant throughout (most of) the grow cycle? Do you plan on fertilizing weekly? There are great soil recipes out there. I always feel that it is a mistake to just willy-nilly add things to your soil. You really need to know what your additives are adding and how fast or slow they break down. This is the reason that I always used tried and true recipes. For instance, you don't want lots of N late in flowering and you don't want lots of P during veg. And too much of some elements will lock out other elements. Soil amendment is really a science.

It is all I could find except miracle grow I added 50% composted cow manure a handful more of lime and will use fox farm trio weekly.

Fox Farm are fine nutes if you are not wanting to grow organic.

I am wondering though if you are not going to want some real soil in your growing mix...just peatmoss and perlite seems like kind of a poor planting mix. Where are you that the Baccto and MG are your only choice for "soil"?

I usually grow in dirt with 13-13-13 all that’s avaible within 75 miles is the above mentioned lols like a road trip is in my future. I’m in southeast usa

Got 2 more grow 45 gal grow bags will prob get fox farms ocean forest for them just means a road trip to get it

So, peat, lime, and perlite = promix which you can buy cheap pre mixed in bales.
Adding a good amount of good quality bagged compost to that mix will put you ahead cheaply. It will make the mix much more stable and forgiving, and it's cheap and readily available. Composted humus is a very good basic choice that you can get anywhere.

There is a vericomposting facility that is shutting down 3 hours away they used dairy cow manure and earthworms but the dairy closed. They r selling compost for 25$ yard

Holy cr4p, literally! I'd take a road trip with a dump truck for that!!!
Great stuff for the garden. My poor tomatoes never like the local clay soil : (
Be careful about bringing loose-purchased/outdoor-stored compost or dirt indoors for fear of bugs.

I’ll probably go just got to get with buddy that has a 4 yard dump trailer. They have done ph on the compost averages 5.7

Its a little low for pot but frankly good compost is worth its weight in gold and there's a school of thought that says pH is FAR less critical in pure organic. Thing is, that's because it usually self stabilizes in the mid 6s.
Seriously... at that price you could supplement your entire lawn lol

What a find--organic compost/worm castings and a friend with a dump trailer! I have to say that I am a little jealous. If you go ahead and get the compost/worm castings, I am going to encourage you to NOT use the FF trio for nutes. You have the start of a wonderful organic grow and I would hate to see it screwed up with chemical nutrients. As stinky said, pH is not as critical with organic grows as lond as it is not way out of whack. My understanding of this is because the microbes enrich the soil and the soil feeds the plants, not chelated chemicals. I never pH my organic grows.

Costco now sells worm casting by the 5 pound bag. woohoo. I have never checked ph, organic as can be. I agree with THG, chemical nutes will kill the microbes.

Latest posts

Back