Cuts not rooting!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maineharvest said:
Have you tried re dipping the clones in rooting gel? At this point it might be worth a try.

Just looked again and one of the worst looking of the clones has roots on the bottom now. I thought that one was dead.

I'm going to go ahead and just let these keep going for now. I'll also put 12 more into rooting in jiffy pellets just in case I don't have my eight needed clones. I have a grace period of about 20 days to play with.

A friend of mine has one of those $300 misting cloning machines that I think you were using Stoney and he gets crazy roots after just a week or so. His clones root in half the time as mine and they have twice the roots. I dont really do enough cloning to really need one myself.

maineharvest said:
A friend of mine has one of those $300 misting cloning machines that I think you were using Stoney and he gets crazy roots after just a week or so. His clones root in half the time as mine and they have twice the roots. I don't really do enough cloning to really need one myself.

Yeah, it is nuts. To enable them to sell the unit, they took manufacturing shortcuts that lessened the quality of the product.

I'm making my new one from a much larger box and with way better spray heads and pump. When its complete, I won't have any more cloning problems.

Right now, on my schedule, I should have 8 clones to transfer into vegging on the 22nd of March. It's looking doubtful. I'll put 12 more cuts into peat pellets today and maybe by the 29th, (a week late), I'll have my 8 clones.

Tell your buddy to NEVER, NEVER clean it with anything but plain water and scrubbing. I used "Pinesol" and after rinsing the hell out of it, it still killed all my cuts.

That's how I got to using rockwool cubes for two failed attempts so far.

I've used the peat pellets before with great results. I thought the rockwool would give me the same results but alas, they didn't.

i've been using a heating mat but i've decided to pull all my cuts and recut them and just start over. im gonna take a few more fresh cuts for my outdoor grow this year. maybe i'll get something to root in the next two weeks. wish me luck

slowmo77 said:
i've been using a heating mat but i've decided to pull all my cuts and recut them and just start over. im gonna take a few more fresh cuts for my outdoor grow this year. maybe i'll get something to root in the next two weeks. wish me luck

I wish you luck man!

I just now got home with 72 peat pellets from Home DePOT.

I'm going to pH some water and give them a soak. Later tonight, I'll take 12 more cuts and add them into my dome. Then I'll have 45 days to grow more cuts. Plenty of time!

i just finished redoing them all. so we'll see how it works out this time..

slowmo77 said:
i just finished redoing them all. so we'll see how it works out this time..

Here's some Green Mojo to help you along!

GrenMojo3.JPG

slow, the gdps that i put in the rooters rooted already. the kandi shivs and the other gdp are still in the peat and rooting.

id say its the temps and the medium. the peat has no "bennies" like the rapid rooters....

F peat! Im in love with my RR, no clonex used and my babies are rooting like mad. even cloning in flower- gotta love it!

TOA you suck man! lol im gonna try to pick up some rapid rooters this weekend. want me to tell your buddies down there anything? i think im gonna take the loop i bought back. i found one i like better and i can see thru it.

I had a major problem with clones for a while. I was around 30% success rate.
I didnt change much, but I am something like 100% since I made the changes.
Soak rockwool in a mixture of 1ml clonex jell, 2.5ml Formulex per 1000ml of ph'd water for 24 hours.
Make sure donor has been watered within the last hour.
Clean scissors to be used with rubbing alcohol.
Take cutting (fresh growth only, no old branches)
Recut 45deg cut under ph'd water with a drop of rooting jell in it.

Trim off tips of any fan leaves. I think this is the important bit, when I didnt do this, they all took forever to root. By clipping the tips, the cutting won't use any energy trying to heal the leaf, but it still absorbes energy for photosynthesis.

Dip cutting into Clonex
Use a pipette to make new hole in rockwool and put 2 drops of clonex into rockwool.
Place in Rockwool cube.
Firm rockwool around stem of cutting, making sure there is contact between rockwool and cutting.
Mist and place in propagator with holes closed.
Mist twice a day only for 1st 4 days, leaving holes close but "burping" twice a day to let in fresh air.
Let cubes dry a little, but not too dry, to encourage roots.
After 4 days, open vents 1/3 and start misting once a day.

Between 7-10 days I have had roots on every cutting since using this method. Not hundreds of cuttings, probably around 40 or so but I dont have to take millions of cuttings now!

I love the sound of those misters btw.

Green mojo and hope it works out for you.
Peace
W

well i give up on clones!!! i've only had one cutting root out of 12. i've tried everything i know to do and still no luck. what sucks it's i've done this hundreds of times with no problems. im missing something i just don't know what it is.

im using a different cloning powder than in the past, besides that everythings the same. im gonna toss all these out and try again with fresh cuts since these have been cut for over a months.. if i fail this time i'll be growing from seed for a while. just sick of messin with it

Ditch the powder and get some clonex gel. I had terrible results with powder too.

I know how you feel. Have you tried the DIY cloner in that section? A lot of people have had success. Sounds like your rooting compound may be to blame? Don't give up, clones are awesome.

I use gel as well.....I had problems getting my cuts to throw roots as well....I believe it was the temps...my clone chamber is in the spare bedroom with my 3 tents and I use a window in the room to regulate temps...problem was when I cooled the flower tent enough the clone chamber wld be too cool.

I've had some phenos that just wouldn't root before. just like had some strains that wouldn't reveg. Genetics can be an issue in this hobby.

i use gel to, dont know if that matters, you said you have had good success in the past clonning so i wouldnt be too quick to change my metheods if i were you, try getting gel??

the thing i noticed about pucks/pellets is if i keep the peat pucks too wet they dont go aswell.

UPDATE: Well the first 12 I had in rockwool all rooted finally. Its been 38 days. Oh well, I have 12 more already in peat pellets and they should start showing roots any day now. I'll have a bunch of them now.

I'll use the best 8 for this coming vegging that will be starting in a couple days.

i'm gonna try to hit the hydro shop this weekend and get some gel and more rapid rooters. im puttin all my photoperiod plants outdoors this weekend they're being hardend off all this week so i'll get cuts before i put them out. i tossed all the old ones out today.. thanks for all the input.. i'll let you all know how it goes this next round

im gonna pick some up this weekend for sure. but even the ones i've got in rapid rooters aren't rooting. i've had 2 in rooters that rooted and one in a peat plug

Latest posts

Back