Cuts not rooting!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowmo77

Are you lost
Reaction score
Ok, i took cuts from two different plants and im gettin aggrivated.

the first plants was a GDP. cuts were taken 3 weeks 4 days ago
the second was Kandi Shiva. cuts were taken 2 weeks 4 days ago

I done it the same way i always do and nothing. the stems at the bottom have turned a real light color but no roots. i don't think i've ever had cuts take this long to root. im thinking of pulling them all out and recutting them and starting over.. any thoughts?

is it a strain you have cloned b4 ?
i have come across a strain or 2 that takes my nornally 90%-100% success rate and knocks it down to 25%,

no i've never cloned either strain before.

Try root shooters, had some strains take a little longer, but all rooted.

Slowmo did your gdp turn purple? Got a little purple on the leaves at 8 weeks flowering.

slow, what's your cloning method? i struggled with cloning at first, but my favorite are the coco plugs, hormone (olivia's), a humidity dome, and a seed starting heating mat. 100% of the time it works every time ;)

(except when I have room temps 85+; see "the shire")

I wonder if some of your cloning issues could be due too cooler temps due to it being winter, read that one somewhere.

I just went through the same thing and out of nine, threw two away and after 4 Weeks, i put the last two in dirt. I have never had that happen before either. here they all are, all started the same day.
Good luck slowmo. DSCF0667.JPG

I've cloned the heck out of GDP with no prob so something is not right there.

babysnakess said:
Slowmo did your gdp turn purple? Got a little purple on the leaves at 8 weeks flowering.

i haven't flowered any of them yet but i'll let you know when i do.

benamucc said:
slow, what's your cloning method? i struggled with cloning at first, but my favorite are the coco plugs, hormone (olivia's), a humidity dome, and a seed starting heating mat. 100% of the time it works every time ;)

(except when I have room temps 85+; see "the shire")

it's just a normal cloning method. take cuts from the lower part of the plant. cut at a node on a 45 degree angle, dip in rooting hormone then into a wet peat puck. placed in a tray with a dome and misted atleast once a day for the first week then i let them get a little drier as time goes by so they feel the need to grow roots to get moisture. temps are low 70's all the time. this is the same method i've used for a long time and i've never had any problems.

i did talk to my friend where i got them. he said he had trouble using rockwool but when he switched to rapid rooters they rooted great. so if no roots by this weekend i'm gonna go get rapid rooters and recut everything and start over.. what a pain in the arse

thanks rosebud, glad you got yours rooted. im sure i'll get it worked out its just aggrivating sometimes.

Budders Keeper, im gonna keep trying. what do you clone in?

Has any one else out there tried root shooters yet. I cut at a 45 degree angle under water, they are already moist, nothing to add can mist every once in a while, didn't turn yellow, surprised me how fast they rooted without yellowing.50 cubes for $20, can be cut into any number you want.

I tried rapid rooters again , did good when it was warmer, lost 75% this time and what rooted took 4 weeks. Someone told me I need to keep root zone 10 degrees warmer, bought a heat mat, what rooted took 2 weeks, but loss 75%. Loss my permafrost, purple arrow,, and a really good strain I don't know the name of. Bought more clones and asked the guy how do you clone, and he told me root shooters.

Are you using a heating mat Slomo? The root zone needs to be up in the 80s.

slowmo77 said:
i did talk to my friend where i got them. he said he had trouble using rockwool but when he switched to rapid rooters they rooted great. so if no roots by this weekend i'm gonna go get rapid rooters and recut everything and start over.. what a pain in the arse

I can relate. I used peat starters the last time I did it before my areoponic rooter and the peat starters worked perfect. This is the first time I've used rockwool to root and mine are just like yours slowmo. Just checked them and the one I pulled from the cube doesn't have a single root started after 19 days. Most of them look like hell. I'm going to pick up some peat starters tomorrow and take ANOTHER 12 cuts.

I agree totally....what a pain in the butt!

Ive also moved on from rockwool Stoney. I use rapid rooters or jiffy pellets now.

maineharvest said:
Ive also moved on from rockwool Stoney. I use rapid rooters or jiffy pellets now.

When I was using the peat pellets, they worked perfectly. Took about 15 days for roots to stick out. I tried the rockwool because it was something new....

The aeroponic rooter worked awesomely. The best I've ever seen. It wore out though and I haven't put a new one together yet. I have the high pressure fogging pump and the spray heads, but have yet to build the entire unit. I'll have it up and running by the next crop and I won't have to deal with the cubes or pellets.

You want perfect rooting and I mean 12 inch long roots in 20 days, go with an aeroponic mister or fogger. The pump is expensive at $150, but worth it.

I gotta do the damn peat pellets for this crop. My schedule of starting to look like it might have a problem this time.

Nuff O' me! Slowmo, after reading all of these posts, whatcha going to do?

Have you tried re dipping the clones in rooting gel? At this point it might be worth a try.

Latest posts

Back