cutting the balls off

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epicstuff

Reaction score
Gutted today found 1 of my plants is forming balls, I was so sure it was a girl till now.
but hey having so much trouble with seed arriving I may as well put him to good use.

I read so many articles about techniques using bags or cups to trap the pollen.
I just want to ask if it can be done just to cut the balls off as they start to hang down and just pop then in a bag and dry them in the sun, or something.? seems easier to keep the pollen in their natural containers till needed.
I've never seen anything written about that, is that idea flawed?

I dont suppose anyone is going to reassure me that 1st signs of balls doesnt mean it will necessarily be a male. NO didnt think so.......

yeah its a bit flawed...the pollen is not viable untill it falls from the pod...how many plants do you have in flower?...maybe make you a stock now and clean up after?

take care and be safe

If you can stick the male in another room its safest. In theory you can cut a branch as the balls start to open, bag it (paper grocery bag), and shake the pollen out onto paper or something and collect it. Put with rice in a dark container and freeze it up to (some say) a year.

But if you can put it into a dark closet and force it to finish you can just shake the branches onto paper and collect it that way.

Be careful though, you really don't want that pollen all over the place to mess up future gals.

how long do I have before it starts to get risky? the balls have only just started to appear , dont think they will be ready yet to give pollen.

I put it outside in a corner of my garden. but still dont want the stuff blowing around if it gets ready to burst.

When you say put in dark closet and force finish , will that speed up the process?

I'v e put a bag over it and gave a good shake , but cant see any pollen , is it there? or if no see, no have?

Latest posts

Back