cutting wires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

A.K.

is it possible to safely cut the wires to the ballast of an hps light while it is on?

NO! :eek: :shocked: Not unless you wanna end up like the two guys. Eye's popping outta your head and your hair sticking straight up in the air. Never and i repeat never cut any wires when something is plugged in. ;)

:holysheep: As a rule never work on anything electrical while its plugged in. You are only asking for trouble.

WOW!!!! that was a freaky post man. why would you want to cut the wires while its on anyway?

i dont have anymoney to spare and i saw an hps fixture broken off a wall dangling by the wires but still on and i wanted it:confused2: so i was seeing if there was anyway to take it safely. sorry to scare you all

A.K. said:
i dont have anymoney to spare and i saw an hps fixture broken off a wall dangling by the wires but still on and i wanted it:confused2: so i was seeing if there was anyway to take it safely. sorry to scare you all

wait untill you have the funds to buy one :) I HATE rippers and shoot when seen :eek:

Let me guess you seen it by a commercial building right......seen that and had my own temptation...but self control got the better of me :p
Dude, for 1 that fixture been sittin there god knows how long....two when you cut them wires and get your *** fried...you'll wake up in ICU and wonder why you got a gaurd on your *** cuz your brain is too fried (not the good kind a fried) to remember.
There are tons of places to find a HPS or MH for 50 bucks with a lil work and is safe. Best stick to the honest route. IMHO

Even if you unplug the whole system, you can still get shocked if your ballast has a capacitor, as it can store electrical charge.

All MH and HPS ballasts have one (right?).

:eek:

ummm......i tryied that and it scared the **** out off me, And i did'nt even end up using it.
Listen to the others and just buy new one man.
I bought one at the electricity store for 100$ and it very small and got everthing you need in it. Just buy one bro!

Yes u can cut a wire while it HOT!!!! You have to cut the wire with some GOOOOOOOOOOOOD inslated Plyers and Cut ONE at a Time and cut the white first that way u be safer, the black is the hot one and have to cut power BEFORE the Ballast to be safer, cut anything after the Ballast can be DANGERS..
Make Sure U Have Good Inslated Plyers!!!!!!!!

The Elct. company do this all the time with GOOD INSLATED CUTTER on those fallen wires..

Make sure when cutting the wire u cover the end in case u touch it by mistake.. I have cut a few out while power has been on and yes it scary to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wouldn't do another one though !! i much rather go buy one

He's right but keep in mind the company PAYS the $$$ for special tools for the job. please just buy one. if you need a cheap set up I can give you quite a few links man.

Take into mind that.......As soon as you cut that cord, depending on what you are using might even blow the bulb. then you still have to worry about the ballast. How do you plan on hooking this up? these are not 120 watt bulbs you can just plug in you need a ballast to transfer the energy around so that it does not blow a fuse evey time it lights up (consider this light to be like a fridge. too much power for you regular outlets). and even if it is a low watt bulb, do you really want to mess with you electrical system to hook it up?

Like Mutt satates, you can get light systems online for around $100.00. I would look into that.

Again then............I am frugged up right now, But who knows I might just know what I am talking about:cool:

A.K. said:
is it possible to safely cut the wires to the ballast of an hps light while it is on?
ahahahahahahahahahahaahah thank you very much for that

Latest posts

Back