Cuttings aren't making it......... losing the mdaily

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickd

Reaction score
I have enjoyed the last 2 years successfully cloning everything I stuck in a Jiffy Pellet. I keep it very simple and have had 98% success rate.

That is, the whole time I did this at my shop. Now that I am trying to do a few trays at home, it is a whole different story.

I use Jiffy Pellets.
10x20 trays with 7" domes
sometimes a heat pad if it's cold
Flouros for light ( 18hrs)
Ventilated shop, clean environment.

I believe it is the tap water. My house is plumbed with that crappy vinyl hose instead of copper and one thing I have noticed since I bought it is that orange mildew grows in the sinks, tubs and shower pans faster than any house I have ever had. I think it is because the water sits in the plastic pipes and gets a little light plus it gets warm.

SO every tray i have started has been taken over and decimated by a mildew/mold that sucks the stalks dry till they fall over.

What can I use to prep the water in buckets for watering and soaking the jiffy pellets?

Hydrogen Peroxide 3% or 35% ?
Rubbing alcohol?
Is there a mildew spray?

Or any other ideas?

Here are a few pics..... White mildew attacks the stalks..

rickyd1.jpg

rickyd2.jpg

4 ideas.....
1) Your cuts look HUGE, like bigger than any clones I have ever taken.
2) If you can find a way to cover the Jiffy pellets so that light is not hitting them it will prevent molds and fungi.
3) I add 2-3 drops of 35% H2O2 per cup of water I use for clones and seed germination to help prevent any mold/fungi, and it works wonders.
4) It might not just be your water causing the problems. Are the humidity levels different between the two places?

Good Luck!

-SSF-

I would go with humidity as the major issue. Hit it with the H2o2 and or a suplhur burner, to kill any of the mould spores in the room.

If you are concerned about your water you could get a gallon of RO water and see. However, the "stuff" that grows in your sinks, etc is not the result of your home being plumbed with pex instead of copper. Most likely your home was plumbed with polyethylene water line rather than copper because your water quality is bad. Acidic water will literally dissolve copper water lines from the inside out.

I am with Sensi on the size of the clones--they are huge. I would try to take smaller cuts. I am also not a big fan of Jiffy pellets. I don't even like them to germinate flower seeds. I believe that they hold too much water and the amount of peat in the puck is detrimental.

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/Site_Rules.html
7. Please post all of your pictures on this site. Linking to other sites has inherent risks involved that should be kept to a minimum if at all possible. We have both a Gallery and the ability to post as many as 3 pictures with each post you make. Please post your pictures here, instead of linking to them. Also we discovered that quite a number pictures hosted on other sites gets deleted after some time making the threads worthless on our forums.
links/images from photobucket and other hosts are restricted here..;)
THANKS

Thanks for fixing it for me Hick.

Some of the pellets are cocoa. I like those better than the ones in peat. I have never had an issue with the size of the cuttings before. I have a full trey of 50 Bubba Kush fully rooted now at my shop. I just can't have that many going at one time so I tried a couple treys at home and nothing but dead and wilted.

I would say the humidity is much lower in my garage. But the domes fix that. I am using a small 12" long little fish tank fluorescent light and at my shop I have several of the 4' shop lights with dual cool blue bulbs.

Do you think the light is too weak to get them started?

If you had the success you mentioned in the past then go buy a gallon of water or get it from the old place and try that, or new pellets or new rooting gel, if you use it.

Dont reinvent the wheel if you had success in the 90% range in the past.

dman1234 said:
Dont reinvent the wheel if you had success in the 90% range in the past.

This is good stuff. Look at what your doing now with the trouble and before when you had success. Start eliminating the differences one by one until you figure out. Don't start changing stuff up more. If you got it running 100% exactly the same at the shop, including your shop water, and still have issues, then I would say the problem is your environment at home and fixing that issue is a whole new can of worms.

The Hemp Goddess said:
If you are concerned about your water you could get a gallon of RO water and see.

Agreed. If you think something is up with the water then stop using it on your plants. If you are really that worried about it, get it tested. If you don't drink your own tap water because you think it's nasty, then why use it on the plants? (I have no idea whether or not you drink your own tap, just a guess ...)

If orange mildew is an issue then all I can really suggest is try to keep your house dry and aired out. Tackle your house orange mildew problems with some bleach, that should help keep it under control. If you are already doing this I don't have much more advice to offer.

Hope it all works out for you bro.

Thanks guys. I have copied everything from the shop and I believe it is environment. There is something else going on. I am using bottled water, the same jiffy pellets, treys and domes. I can't use the same 4' florescent lights, that is one think I can't use in the new place. Not sure if lighting can make or break rooting success.

Rickd said:
Thanks guys. I have copied everything from the shop and I believe it is environment. There is something else going on. I am using bottled water, the same jiffy pellets, treys and domes. I can't use the same 4' florescent lights, that is one think I can't use in the new place. Not sure if lighting can make or break rooting success.

It will be something simple for sure. The cause anyway, perhaps not the cure.

I had a similar problem years ago, and all I did was change locations in the same house.:eek:

Went crazy trying to figure out what was what.:confused2:

Finally dawned on me, that in the new location I didn't scatter a bit of perlite under the RW cubes.:doh: The old cubes, this was 1991, didn't have that large groove in the bottom and would suck themselves tight to a smooth surface, meaning no O2 and root rot.

Something simple, but it sure shut everything down. You'll figure it out.

Wet

Ok, I think I have it. THe old location was an a large room with humidity around 50-70% and lots of air flow.

New location is an enclosed tall cabinet. No air flow and possible chemicals within the particle board walls contributing to poor air quality.

Soon as I popped a few holes in the back, sides and bottom and added a fan, we are back to getting roots.

Glad you figured it out. I guess that falls under the larger scale of 'environment' haha. Be thankful it was just air flow and not an actual mold/fungus problem.

Hope the rest of the grow goes well bro.

Latest posts

Back