"Damped Off"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craterlake

Reaction score
:vap- silver vapor:Hi folks! Been quite awhile since I've been on! I have been told that a couple of my plants have "damped off". I am not familiar with this, but I can sure see what he's talking about! These plants are just ready to be transplanted into their final big pot. So they're about 12 inches tall and real full and pretty! Can I save them? I would appreciate the wisdom of someone who has dealt with this before? I have apparently over watered them, from what I understand.

Thanking you in advance!

Are the stems rotted? Have they broken? If they are still supporting the plant, then I would say dig out all the soil around the stem, down about 3 inches or more so that air is flowing and helps the drying. And from this point on, follow the proper wet dry cycle from the time you sow the seed until you harvest. That means fully saturating the bucket (or cup), then not watering again until the plant has lost 2/3rds of its fully saturated weight. Follow this rule from day 1.

Problem is, if they are 'damped off" from fungus, you should probably take some cuts and root them to run as you won't be able to save it, as the rotted stem will not allow the movement of water and nutrients from the roots to the rest of the plant

If they're just rotted from too much water, you may be able to save them and give them a chance to repair themselves by allowing the drying.

Another option is to cut the plant far above the rotted stem, and set the whole thing to root in a bucket of your grow medium.

Good luck.

Thanks so much Melvan! The plants are still standing on their own, so I will do what you suggested and try to dry them. I was going to re-pot them today, but maybe I should wait a day or two? Or getting them in fresh dirt which is drier might be the way to go after I try drying them. Thanks so much for the info!! Have a great evening!

Are the stems rotted? Have they broken? If they are still supporting the plant, then I would say dig out all the soil around the stem, down about 3 inches or more so that air is flowing and helps the drying. And from this point on, follow the proper wet dry cycle from the time you sow the seed until you harvest. That means fully saturating the bucket (or cup), then not watering again until the plant has lost 2/3rds of its fully saturated weight. Follow this rule from day 1.

Problem is, if they are 'damped off" from fungus, you should probably take some cuts and root them to run as you won't be able to save it, as the rotted stem will not allow the movement of water and nutrients from the roots to the rest of the plant

If they're just rotted from too much water, you may be able to save them and give them a chance to repair themselves by allowing the drying.

Another option is to cut the plant far above the rotted stem, and set the whole thing to root in a bucket of your grow medium.

Good luck.

Well said ! I could not have given better advice.

Thank-you Kravenhead! I plan on following this advice!!

Are you sure it is damping off? I do not believe that I have seen it happen when the plants are that big before. Like Mel said, damping off is caused by a fungus. I am thinking that you may be simply keeping these too wet. What (exactly) are you planted in? Does the medium have good drainage capabilities? Any possibilities of pics?

Latest posts

Back